Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What helmet are you wearing lately?

Cruizin

Just make sure you use earplugs. As you said, great quality. Noisiest arai I’ve ever had though. Finish it off with the Pinlock. One of the worlds greatest inventions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dougie said:

Just make sure you use earplugs. As you said, great quality. Noisiest arai I’ve ever had though. Finish it off with the Pinlock. One of the worlds greatest inventions. 

Earplugs are standard equipment, preserving what little remains of my hearing has long been a priority. Pin lock is by far the best anti-fog solution available 

• Like 1

What helmet have I been wearing lately?  My helmet lately is a 4runner TRD Off-Road.  DAMN it has rained waaaaaaaay to much here in the PNW.  

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 8:44 PM, Dougie said:

I never got the pinlock to work properly. It's a pain the in the ass, I mean a**, to get it to the exactly right position. If you don't, it grabs to the top of the helmet when you open the visor. And the next time it rains, you have a sea pool between the pinlock and the visor. Also the visor's gets scratched pretty easily. In my opinion the visor quality doesn't meet the helmet's quality. With even the these faults, the best adv helmet on the market.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

• 5 weeks later...

I use an Arai Tour X4 great helmet, think there is a new X5 out now so the X4 can prehaps be picked up cheaper. Its not a cheap lid, but I certainly like it a lot. I save until I can buy a great lid that fits perfect, as it is hell to ride long distance with a mediocre one

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta update for the Pinlock. 
it’s been fogging up the bastard. 
I admit it’s been hammering down and any greenery is a quagmire. This is winter equipment rant number three this week.
It does last quite a lot longer than without but misted before 20 miles. I think it must’ve been getting spray under the helmet somehow. 
F^*@#%^! weather. ☔🌧️💧🌧️🌧️🌧️🌧️☔🌧️🌧️🌧️☔💧

On 12/8/2023 at 7:58 PM, Redneckj said:

What helmet have I been wearing lately?  My helmet lately is a 4runner TRD Off-Road.  DAMN it has rained waaaaaaaay to much here in the PNW.  

Airoh Twist 2. Very quiet helmet and pretty light. I have also the Commander from Airoh but prefer this one.

Airoh Mask_.jpeg

Bought a Nexx X.WED 2 a few days ago. 

Had the Nexx and the LS2 MX-701 at home for try outs.

Overall the Nexx fittet me better and was more quite than the 701. 

For hot days with goggles i will go for  a LS2 MX700 or a Airoh Twist 

• Like 1

I liked the look of the ls2 but can’t bring myself to put a Chinese helmet on my head yet. It’ll be carbon and Japanese built for the foreseeable future for me. Prices are insane though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Road tested my new Sedici Duale ADV helmet today. Much better than my previous Sedici Viaggio in terms of interior and quietness and the comfort level for my med/long oval head is tons better. The best way to describe the improvement in quietness is both my Viaggio and AFX-41 helmets had so much interior noise,  I couldn't activate my Sena 30K voice menu above 40-45 mph. With the Duale, I can use the voice menu at up to 65 mph and it was while battling  about a 15-20 mph crosswind.  Built in ear phone pockets made the headset install easy.

The sun visor (peak) isn't noticeable when at highway speeds which includes turning my head for lane changes. The drop down sunglasses are larger and darker than the Viaggio and the lever is easy enough to activate with gloves on. The clear visor doesn't have any real detents to keep it partially open, but it closes with authority and is easily opened with a gloved thumb.  I opted for a Pin-lock inner visor and tried it out today, worked like a charm as I was fogging up on the way to Cycle Gear to purchase it.

I haven't yet tried goggles with this helmet,  but it's supposedly set up for that, just need to remove the two quarter turn fasteners to pull off the clear shield.

Pretty happy with my $250 purchase and I would rate the interior on par with my previous Arai I owned, yes, it's that nice at half the price.

20240329_112350.jpg.3e491e9083998ea299123fadc6379d4d.jpg

20240329_112341.jpg.c5c01665a897edc9e7525bf90cb92d9d.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 1 month later...

Been using my K6 a lot recently. This part of the year when it’s not swelteringly hot is this lid’s peak season. 

I find it too stuffy in the summer. IMG_0647.jpeg.e23bdf780e9fe483ad37b64a53bcef8c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got any experience built up with the arai tour X5 yet? Mainly about the wind noise going up into the helmet under the ears like the X4?

I've got the X5 for a couple of weeks now but can't compare to the X4 (never used it). I do have years of experience with a HJC RPHA 70 which is a much tighter fitting helmet. Noise levels are comparable (I always use -30dB ear plugs) and I don't notice any air coming up from beneath the ears. What I did notice is that the peak generates a slight noise straight on at 80kph+ which disappears at a very slight rotation of the head. Other than that brilliant helmet with excellent ventilation and huge field of view (compared to the HJC).

• Thanks 1

recently switched from a LS2 MX701 to a Airoh Commander.

They are the same weight but the Airoh feels lighter, probably because it picks up way less wind turbulences than the LS2. it's a bit noisy at highway speeds but overall confortable and fits my head well.

1 hour ago, Forza said:

I've got the X5 for a couple of weeks now but can't compare to the X4 (never used it). I do have years of experience with a HJC RPHA 70 which is a much tighter fitting helmet. Noise levels are comparable (I always use -30dB ear plugs) and I don't notice any air coming up from beneath the ears. What I did notice is that the peak generates a slight noise straight on at 80kph+ which disappears at a very slight rotation of the head. Other than that brilliant helmet with excellent ventilation and huge field of view (compared to the HJC).

Thanks, for me that’s the important bit, the bit below the ears they made space for comfort, allows the wind noise straight off the screen and bars up into the ear. If that’s good now on the X5, I can stick with arai. 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

WhatsAppImage2024-07-11at17_46.48_55733c02.jpg.4e93485762e3962442b1cad28bdda805.jpg

Arai X4, Lovely Lid,
Now i have a darker visor with a pinlock installed.. Feels compfy, a bit of wind noise but isnt bad.

• Like 1

Was looking at the X5 but damn it has tons of negative reviews.  

• 2 months later...

This is the one I have been wearing lately, I Like it, I feel the wind, I can wear my glasses with it and It give me some good protection.  

image.png.cd553d0b18fabd3fe2930e66254f309b.png

2 hours ago, maddog123 said:

This is the one I have been wearing lately, I Like it, I feel the wind, I can wear my glasses with it and It give me some good protection.  

image.png.cd553d0b18fabd3fe2930e66254f309b.png

Are you a riot copper? 😁

10 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Are you a riot copper? 😁

Only when trouble finds me 😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

iXS Venture 1.0 (flip up)

- Biggest pros for me are the really big range of vision and the easy flip up 

- Biggest contras are ventilation and the missing possibility to open the visor just a tiny gap for better air flow

Would I buy it again? Yes, the range of vision alone is much worth it …

07062542-F0D2-4596-A552-FB52F2CC7C3C.jpeg

Edited by TéNéRELOADED

Here are my last 3 ADV/DS style helmets: Left to right - Arai XD4,   Shoei Hornet X2,   Nexx X.Wed2 Carbon

20241001_121650.jpg.d305c39d8a850a87fc7b39c7f3b3880e.jpg

Arai XD-4 - size large - Weight 3lb 12oz
Pro:
Most comfortable

Light(ish) weight

Good venting

Con: 

Visor likes to fog quickly despite the helmet having good venting overall. 

Upper helmet vents like to break. (I've owned three of these helmets and vents broke on all of them)

Shoei Hornet X2 -  size large - Weight 4lb 2oz
Pro:  
Quietest
Best build quality

Con:
Heavy - may not look a bunch heavier on paper but it feels really heavy in rough terrain.
Worst low speed venting of the group

A bit narrow even with thinner pads - likes to fold my ears over when I put it on. 

Nexx X.WED2 Carbon - Size Large - 3lb 7oz
Pro: 

Lightest of the bunch and the lower weight is really nice when getting bounced around. 

Nicest speaker recess for comms
Best low speed venting

Cons: 

Loudest
Build quality could use some work. 

The Arai & Nexx are getting a bit long on the tooth and I'm not a fan of the weight and mediocre venting of the Shoei so I  considered getting a Klim Krios but found the 2023 Nexx X.Wed2 series were on closeout since they have a new version now and I got one of them and have it sitting in the box for when my current lid is done. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 4