Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 crankcase failure 10k miles

iKeoxD

Hey guys not been on the forums for awhile, few months ago I had the misfortune of my oem crash bars causing damage to my crankcase, bike had 10.000 miles on the clock, and was out of warranty, took it to the dealer I bought to bike from to see if they could help, in the end they recommended a second hand engine, got one for around £1000 quid and they replaced the engine and I kept the damaged one, engine they fitted was from a world raid bike and the flywheel had to be swapped over as they are different in some way, part numbers are different that I could make out, engine they fitted had around 4500 miles so half of my damaged one, new engine so far have had no complaints or issues (touch wood) , the damaged one I kept and started the process of repairing myself, took the engine to a workshop I have access to and with the aid of the Yamaha service manual started the strip down process, eventually got the engine down to the two halfs of the crankcase, cleaned and off to a welder for him to weld the crack, got the casing back and started the rebuild process, during the reassembly I found the engine in great condition the clutch packs looked new the gear box had zero wear, pistons looked great cylinder was in great condition, hardest part was compressing the piston rings to get them back into the cylinder, putting them in the freezer overnight helped, as per the manual everything was torqued to spec and thread locked in the right places, timed the top end to the bottom and is now fully reassembled, so now I have a spare cp2 engine that is ready to go back into the bike or to be sold on (prob won't do this tbh) I have some videos on my YouTube Chanel if anyone is interested in checking them out thought I would share my experience with the forum, Yes the gem crash bars are gone and will no be going back on and the spacer was indeed fitted. 

Engine disassembled and showing the damage -Video1-

Reassembly video after welding -Video2-

PS please subscribe to my channel MackAdventures

Edited by iKeoxD
  • Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Alan M said:

I thought it was just YouTube you found click bait 🤣

Exactly! A truthful, drama free title would read something to the effect of " OEM crash bars cause Tenere 700 crankcase failure 10k miles".  Sheesh.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS