Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Should I Adjust forks?

Kluthage421

...lower the triple clamps on the fork a bit to increase low speed tight handling by reducing the COG a bit and also putting more weight on the front? Even just 3-5mm. Thanks for any input 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Kluthage421 said:

...lower the triple clamps on the fork a bit to increase low speed tight handling by reducing the COG a bit and also putting more weight on the front? Even just 3-5. Thanks for any input 🙂 

You'll feel a difference because of the geometry change, but COG isn't changed. Ride, drop it 10mm, and ride the same loop again. The exaggerated difference will give you a quick sense of how things change, and then you can tweak it from there.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

What differences may be realized?

• AZJW changed the title to Should I Adjust forks?

It's helpful to imagine steering with a chopper. Hard to turn and you have to make big inputs, not responsive to things you hit on the road, and huge turning radius. Then imagine a scooter where those are all the opposite.

Pushing the forks up makes the steering head angle more vertical and shortens the wheelbase, so more scooter like.

Make sure you set sag properly first.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

it's a quick and easy adjust to account for riding terrain: i lower the forks the full distance (5 or 10 mm?) from stock, when I'm heading out on a long road trip - improved highspeed stability, especially loaded up on the rear. drop them again to to original mark, to bring back quicker and nimbler steering/handling

• Like 2