Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Rear Brakes not working

Ryan Wassermann

Hello all. I recently swapped out my OEM tires for a set of Dunlop's. Since changing the tire. My rear brake doesn't work. It being my first time swapping tires. I accidentally disconnected the brake line when disasembling the rear tire and Caliper. I have tried the solution to bleed the brakes until no more air was showing in the line - which made the rear brake pedal back to normal as it was easy to press down on. But I still have the same issue. Also the rear rotor is hot to the touch. I'm looking for solutions.

Thanks.

PXL_20240725_155312149.jpg

I see a couple of things. Would check all points below.

1 check if the complete brake assembly/calliper is correcty mounted. The 'arm' should be between the ridged on the swingarm.

2 the brakepads are worn out in the picture. replace them. 

The right brake pad is not flat/aligned with the piston. Maybe it is stuck, if you can't get it loose then remove the rear wheel again 

3 I see droplets of oil on the brake assembly and swingarm. I would remove that, if it is brake fluid than it is highly corrosive. 

• Like 1

In addition to what @Mr. Kwak said, your rotor appears bent. If the rotor is jammed then  it would cause the heat death of your rear pads and eventually your real caliper.

Good day

Mike here.

There appears to be, potentially, several issues going on here.

The brake pucks are not in contact with the right side brake pad.

In the picture it appears that the rotor is slightly warped.

The right brake pad appears to be binding on the retaining pin, and

There is a piece of pressed sheet metal wegded in between the ABS housing and the caliper mounting pin.

As this is a safety issue,

I strongly advise they you take the bike to a professional bike mechanic.

Edited by TangoSixZero
  • Thanks 1

Echoing what everyone else here has said already, it looks like you’ve f$&@ed up massively while remounting the wheel and caliper. That’s ok, we all started somewhere!

If you’re going to fix this yourself post a few more shots from a bit further out and from a few different angles and we can help you out. So far it’s looking like a new rotor and pads at the very least. 

As TangoSixZero mentioned above, you might want to involve a pro since your current skill level has led you to this point. However, it’s already looking pretty broken so if you want to attempt the fix on your own, we’re here to help! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

As noted, rear pads need replacing and possibly the rotor if it isn't true. Here's a tutorial I put together on brake pad replacement.  Post up if you need more guidance, plenty of expertise here on the board.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Find a small privately owned shop that has been in business for a long time.  Take it to them for evaluation.  NOT in anyway trying to flame you but, If messed up something as simple as removing the rear wheel and putting it back on, you might want to consider having someone else figure out this problem.   

• Like 1

Looks like the pad on the right has bee knocked out of its slot in the carrier when installing the wheel. Easily done on these callipers when the pads are a bit worn. 

If you pull the retaining pin out with the R clip in it and reinstall the pads properly it might be ok, but I'd inspect the pads if youve ridden any distance like that to see if theyre damaged in any way, maybe even the rest of the calliper if its been jammed up and gotten hot.

Whats making everyone thing the disk is warped?

3 hours ago, Peen said:

Whats making everyone thing the disk is warped?

I think the photo is playing a bit of a trick due to a shadow right where the pad meets the rotor (see red line below). In reality, I think the rotor is probably not warped but all of the other notes are pretty spot on.

Screenshot 2024-07-26 135749 OG.png

Screenshot 2024-07-26 135749.png

• 2 weeks later...

Before you attempt to do any maintenance on your bike again get a service manual. Your doing more damage than good.  

It's been a week now and no reply or outcome!

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

@Ryan Wassermann did you get you brakes working yet? What was wrong?

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~