Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Where do you keep your toolkit?

IncrediblySlow

Question

Recently bought a used 2020 T7, no factory toolkit but that's fine I would have put my own together anyway, which I have done. I'll be doing mostly day trips in rural Aus, dirt roads and twin track mostly, occasional single track, very little blacktop if I can help it.  Will probably carry a small tank bag (probably Nelson-Rigg RG-1040 Trails End Lite) and a small Camelbak backpack on most rides.

I've ordered a Lithium battery which should free up some space in the battery compartment, and have done the tool-less seat mod so have easy access to that area.  My main concern is the under seat area is likely to get water in it so the tools will get wet and corrode unless I put them in something.

Just wondering where/how you all store the essentials for day/overnight trips when you aren't carrying any luggage?  Pics would be great.

21 answers to this question

Under the rally seat for me. Holds several tool rolls. 

• Like 1

Small tool roll on the rack.

I presume you have one.

More often than not I have the Kriega OS12s as panniers and the tool roll goes in one.

Spare tube and wets in the other.

I have the B & B full rear rack and it has to be unbolted to get the seat off hence nothing is stored under there.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Again, under the Rally seat, the space there is the perfect size for an Enduristan tool roll, like they were designed to go there. it gets a bit damp under there sometimes but never had a problem with tools getting wet and corroding, and I live in the UK...

• Like 1

No rear rack or pannier racks for me, and hoping to avoid them.  Previous bike was Wr450, DR650 before that - both used GL Coyote and a roll top bag, fit everything I needed and I have since been into ultralight/lightweight hiking so now have more compact and much lighter camping gear.  Anyway, I digress, point is I need to find good storage spots for tools on a near stock bike with no racks.

Does the Rally seat have a lot more room than the stock seat?  I will possibly upgrade the seat eventually but I need to do a few thousand kms on it first to work out what I want.

A maxpedition (fatty EDC, iirc) pouch fits under the stock seat perfectly.

Does get a bit wet from time to time but it's a good excuse to keep stuff protected, plus you could always put it in a plastic bag if you're worried 

*edit

Rally seat does have a good bit more space 

20240704_140252.jpg

Edited by sunndog

Posted (edited)

Assuming that's a Rally seat then yeah there's a fair amount more room there than my stock seat.

Although I think my primary problem could be my tool roll, I'm using a Wolfman tool roll that rolls up into a ... roll.  Would be far better to have a wide flat tool pouch like those mentioned above.

Edited by IncrediblySlow

Everywhere.  Some on the bottom of the Rally seat, some above the rear fender under the seat, some in a tool tube, one each tire lever along lower frame rail, and when on a ride, a large tire iron in the tractor tube.

20220805_134041.jpg

0410211716.jpg.409c3db961cb7bc44789854a6b06f162.jpg

Underseat tools.jpg

20240723_063333.jpg

• Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

3 hours ago, IncrediblySlow said:

Assuming that's a Rally seat then yeah there's a fair amount more room there than my stock seat.

Although I think my primary problem could be my tool roll, I'm using a Wolfman tool roll that rolls up into a ... roll.  Would be far better to have a wide flat tool pouch like those mentioned above.

Yeah I find tool rolls generally a poor use of space. My pouch is basically an empty space inside. And I still struggle with depth. 

Had to put spanners on the side of the air intake snorkel to slim the bag down a bit.

Good little storage area there too.

Cable ties around the snorkel with spanners one side and vice grips the other, all packed in bicycle inner tube

10 hours ago, sunndog said:

A maxpedition (fatty EDC, iirc) pouch fits under the stock seat perfectly.

These look good, and they have an Aus distributor.  Thanks for the suggestion.

If you are looking for Aus made try Naz.

She is in SE Qld and makes all sorts of gear.

I have here tool roll and a custom messenger bag for work ( carrying verniers, tape, notebook etc.

Great products

Our Australian made motorcycle luggage comes in many different sizes, styles and a huge range of colours. It is made from tough Australian canvas.

Or you could go how we used to!

The good old bumbag especially one of Porky Eldridge's creations.

Classic product!  I'm amazed and impressed they are still making Kelly bags.  I was too poor to get one back in the day so stuck the with cheap oem rear guard vinyl bag on my old XR. 

Probably not what I'm after now, but will have a look at the Naz stuff, lots of options there.

17 hours ago, sunndog said:

Yeah I find tool rolls generally a poor use of space. My pouch is basically an empty space inside. And I still struggle with depth. 

Had to put spanners on the side of the air intake snorkel to slim the bag down a bit.

Good little storage area there too.

Cable ties around the snorkel with spanners one side and vice grips the other, all packed in bicycle inner tube

Not sure what you keep in your tool roll, but I have all of the original tool kit, extra spanners, tyre levers, enough tools to take the wheels off and repair a puncture at the side of the road, plus other assorted crap, all in the space under the Rally seat in an Enduristan tool roll. The only things outside it are spare tubes and a bicycle pump. The Enduristan roll sort of folds up in a neat rectangle thats the same shape as the space in the rally seat rather than rolls up.

Slightly off topic, but the only thing that annoys me is somewhere to stash spare tubes in the bike rather than in a bag strapped to the bike.

@Peen

I red on this forum some store their tubes behind the side/radiator fairings. Or 1 tube inside the swingarm on the right side. Not possible if you have high exhaust, like hpcorse, cos it blocks acces to the hole in the swingarm.

1 hour ago, BikeBrother said:

@Peen

I red on this forum some store their tubes behind the side/radiator fairings. Or 1 tube inside the swingarm on the right side. Not possible if you have high exhaust, like hpcorse, cos it blocks acces to the hole in the swingarm.

I had spotted that big empty space under the side fairings and thought about putting tubes in there, I had struggled to find a way of attaching tubes in there and also worry Yamaha intended for some empty space for airflow to things like the rectifier. But I will have another look at that, didnt know other people had done the same. Thanks

I keep my tools, spare tube, mini compressor, trail stand, haul rope, and rain jacket in either my small Wolfman Daytripper saddlebags or sometimes I'll run with a Kriega 10L bag instead. I do have a rack though it's not required for either bag.  I got in the habit of using small DS type bags due to swapping from bike to bike often and it eliminated the need to have multiple full tools sets and gear, plus in the end I found it just much more convenient. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Peen said:

Slightly off topic, but the only thing that annoys me is somewhere to stash spare tubes in the bike rather than in a bag strapped to the bike.

One idea.  

Here's a 4 page thread on the topic of tool storage.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/3220-howwhere-do-you-carry-your-tools/#comment-37439

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I find it easier to have my tools easily accessible rather than under the seat.

I have put together a bunch of tools that I know I need for the T7 into a tool roll and that normally sits in the top box when I am commuting.

When I am out and about on multi day trips or getting off the tarmac trips, then the tool roll + additional tools end up sitting in the Kriega US5 strapped to the crash bars.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

20 hours ago, Peen said:

Not sure what you keep in your tool roll, but I have all of the original tool kit, extra spanners, tyre levers, enough tools to take the wheels off and repair a puncture at the side of the road, plus other assorted crap, all in the space under the Rally seat in an Enduristan tool roll. The only things outside it are spare tubes and a bicycle pump. The Enduristan roll sort of folds up in a neat rectangle thats the same shape as the space in the rally seat rather than rolls up.

It's not what's in it, more material bunching making  the whole thing thicker than a pouch/bag with the same contents.

Looking at the enduristan it's not the traditional "roll" I was talking about