Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What I've done/doing so far!

ogsmashsauce

Hey all,

Appreciate all the welcomes in the new members section.

So, I purchased my bike on Sat and Sun morning I got up and ended up taking off on the back country roads in my area for about 5 hours which was a BLAST! So mad I have been missing out all these years.

So, I got home, hopped on the Computer, did some research and started ordering things lol.

Quad Lock with a Vibration Dampener and weather poncho

Tusk fender eliminator kit with signals

Tusk Crash Bars

I am still researching mainly for a new seat, and possibly new tires? 

The stock tires were great on the road. I hit an offroad spot by my place that is on the Cowlitz River.....just dove right in and right into some SUPER soft and kinda thick sand. I literally felt like I was riding on ice...lol.  I almost went down many times in a short span (but didnt) but it just didnt feel right so I got back on the road. 

Never riddin in sand so not sure if it was the tires or if thats just the bike being top heavy?    I dont know...learning!

• Moderators

Yes, the stock tires are great on the road, but suck moist cheese in gravel.

Check out the Tech section, tons of opinions on tires.. Grab a comfortable chair!

https://www.tenere700.net/forum/89-tenere-700-tires-and-wheels/

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Just be aware your road handling will deteriorate massively when you swap out the str so consider where you need grip the most. I think the ideal is two sets of wheels. I’ll be investing one day but it’s steep. 
I will add as you’re in aus, the motoz would suit your area. I have the gps on. I reckon they’d be fine in compact mud etc. Just crap on British tarmac. 

Edited by Dougie

Riding in sand on any tires takes some getting used to. Lowering your tire pressure can help. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Rising in sand on any tires takes some getting used to. Lowering your tire pressure can help. 

Agreed and Plus 100!

If you are not used to riding in sand the T700 is a tough bike to learn on. The heavier a bike is the faster you have to go to get the bike riding on top of the sand rather than sinking into it which is basically an unrideable situation other than while paddling with both feet. Lowering tire pressure will help in that regard, as will standing back a bit or at least sliding back in the seat. The catch 22 is getting the courage to ride fast enough on a heavy bike to get to a speed you can actually start to learn something.  Slow is impossibly hard and fast is scary and to a lesser degree dangerous at the beginning.  I can ride deep sand on a dirt bike well enough, it's actually pretty fun! However deep soft sand riding a 450lb+ machine I suck at. 

• Thanks 1