Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Quiet exhaust that won't damage the swing arm

Gregarious

I have not dropped my bike and my muffler is protected by a Touratech pannier rack. Still - I recently noticed some new scratch marks on my swing arm from the exhaust. This was after the Touratech Rally in June where I was riding a bit harder than usual. I did the rally last year as well and rode just as hard, but something seems to have changed. 

So I'm looking for a recommendation on the quietest muffler that won't further damage my swing arm. I loathe loud motorcycles and don't need any more performance. I've gone through a bunch of threads and forums and the comments are always along the lines of "it really wakes the bike up", "love the louder growl", or "not too bad with the baffles in". I've typically found that one man's "not too loud" is another man's annoyance. The only thing I'm pretty confident of is when someone says a muffler is flat out too loud. Those I can scratch off my list. I've watched a number of youtube vids as well, but you can't really can tell volume differences unless it is really excessive.

A lighter muffler would be appreciated - as would a high mount, but the priority is to not damage the swing arm after running over a few potholes. I'd also prefer to avoid any metal mount cutting like the Camel solution requires.

Any recommendations?

• Like 1

I got the hpcorse high short version. Its a bit more quiet then the oem (db measured at german tenere forum). Its lighter and fits without cuttings or drillings.

• Like 1

Unless you go for a decat on the header pipe then any aftermarket will still be quiet.

The catalytic converter cuts down on a lot of noise.

Have a search through the forum or google for high exhausts.

I think Camel is the only one requiring cutting.

I fitted a Camel and was happy to remove the bottom of the Shet hangar.

I kept the off-cut and if I ever need to revert to the OEM muffler it will only take a little engineering to refit.

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Here you go Gregarious 

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

6 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

I got the hpcorse high short version. Its a bit more quiet then the oem (db measured at german tenere forum). Its lighter and fits without cuttings or drillings.

Yes HP Corse is a lovely tucked-away option with no need for cutting and the old bracket does a good job of protecting the new system.

Noise wise it doesn't appear any different from the usual but has a little more of a purposeful noise.

much lighter than the stock.

Make sure clearance for indicators is OK. I got the oem tail tidy with my bike and standard indicators were right in the way of the HP Corse. made new brackets and switched to led small indicators to avoid melting the standards.

all good. really nice quality lightweight exhaust without it being noisy. fits on the frame like it was meant to be there and easy to fit luggage around it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gregarious said:

Any recommendations?

I had similar requirements as you for my exhaust and ended up with the Huzar 50cm high mount model. It's not louder than the original, just a bit lower pitched. Price is pretty decent. Install is relatively straightforward, only requires a small slot be cut in the plastic below the seat to slot the mount through. I did wrap it with exhaust wrap because my boot kept rubbing against the bend around the swingarm and brake cylinder.

No E-stamp, but i'm very happy with it.

• Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings