Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any negatives to removing charcoal canister?

IncrediblySlow

Question

I've read of hot start issues which are resolved by removing the charcoal canister. 

My T7 is very new to me (but not new, bought used at 19k km) and I've never had this issue, but it's mid-winter here and I'm in inland Aus where it gets very hot in summer, so maybe it's a potential future problem I can easily prevent.

In addition to preventing this specific hot start issue, removing the canister also adds lightness, reduces complexity, and it's very cheap.

Any reasons not to remove it?

Edit: 2020 model if it matters.

Edited by IncrediblySlow

9 answers to this question

I removed the canister and associated plumbing when installing my Acerbis 23 liter fuel tank 13k miles ago, and zero issues on my bike.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yes, no reason not to remove it unless your country has inspections with very knowledgeable technicians.  Searching "Charcoal" found more details under Tech Tips.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The one issue I've heard, but not confirmed, is if you sleep in the same vehicle as the bike when travelling (like a van), you could have gas fumes leaking out.

1 hour ago, RiderEh said:

The one issue I've heard, but not confirmed, is if you sleep in the same vehicle as the bike when travelling (like a van), you could have gas fumes leaking out.

The same is for the charcoal in the canister. Its an activated carbon, that have a maximum adsorbing capacity of fumes. If the charcoal is saturated, fumes will not be adsorbed anymore and can be released. This can be a problem for a not well ventilated barn too. 

2 hours ago, RiderEh said:

T7 in a van? Scandal!

• Like 1

“Negatives”; the resultant space is only warm enough for a trail oven to reheat pre-cooked snacks. There isn’t sufficient heat there for “crispy bacon” level cooking. For that, you’ll need good old reliable close proximity pipe heat.

Sounds like it's only positives for removing it - I'll never put it in a van or a confined space, and no regular inspections in my state, although they wouldn't notice this anyway.

Actually it's sitting inside my house right now, it's not the first bike to grace that spot - previous WR450 and DR650 inside never an issue (I live alone in case you can't tell) and no charcoal canisters on them.

It's a freezing, wet and windy day so I'll pull the tank off today and remove it.

Mine still has the cannister.

It lives in an uninsulated shed where summer temperatures are consistently between 35° to 45°C

No issues with starting.

On another note, what part of Aus are you in?

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Gday Rider101 - I'm in Mildura VIC.

• Like 1