Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Trouble shiffting gears

Renato

Question

Hi all, thank you for having me on the forum.

Just bought a T7 3 weeks ago and shifting gears has been a nightmare. Most times, specially when the bike is cold, the second and third gear refuse to engage. Then, after some pounding and riding it gets better, but all of the sudden when slowing down or going again, it happens again.

At the dealership, they say it's normal for a new bike to do that and that T7 are renowned for having a difficult gearbox. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm about to trigger the warranty and return the bike to be repaired, but just want some views on this before anything.

Thank you,

Renato

3 answers to this question

what miles/km are on the bike.

While i would say its little bit clunky i dont have anything like your experience.

I would check free play, adjust cables and ensure oil is ok.

If its still on the "run in oil" i would look changing this

Check the oil level, when I got mine from the dealership they had overfilled the oil and was having similar problems. I removed the overfilled amount which helped.

Yes they’re a bit sticky when running in but no where near that. As they’ve said above, check adjustments and levels against the manual (downloadable). Clutch and chain.