Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Retrofitting World Raid Suspension on Standard

yycools

Question

Hi All, like the title states. I have an opportunity to buy an almost new set of world raid suspension. It should be a straight swap I think, but what are some of the thing I should be mindful of? And suggestions and tips? Thanks!

Edited by yycools
spelling

15 answers to this question

Go ahead! Should be no problem. The suspension travel is extended compared to the standard suspension, but the same is true for my Tractive front and rear and that's no problem at all. The only thing I'd check is if the linkage on the World Raid is identical to the linkage on your bike, so that the damper length is comparable.

Just curious, what's the rough price the seller is asking?

Posted (edited)

around 1.6k USD, less than 1000KM. Full front forks and rear shock

Edited by yycools

Wow. That's a lot imho. In this price range you could probably a customized suspension setup from a suspension tuner - with K-Tech valves for the forks and even a new aftermarket rear shock.

Are the fork diameters the same? I thought world raider was larger.

The Extreme option released lately is basically just that, the upgraded suspension of the World Raid on a base Tenere. So it should fit, 43mm forks with 20mm more travel and beefier internals plus the Kashima coating should just slip in. At the rear there may be minor linkage changes but mainly unproblematic, I’d assume. 

• Like 1

Just to be sure, if the price is WITH upper and lower fork legs, it's probably ok. Seems a bit high to me if it's only the fork cartridges and the rear shock.

I would agree seems very dear if its the internals.

For my money i would say buy an OC front fork kit (RR, Ohlins, Ktech) and spring your rear shock. Or save and buy a new shock

• Like 1

This is what is included. Yeah, it's not cheap, but it's a pretty solid plug and play solution. what would you guys pay for this?

tenere_700_world_raid_front_an_1720880386_decd1492_progressive.jpg

• Like 1

The price seems still bold for a used setup, but I can't tell if it's worth it for you. I'm sceptical though that the WR suspension is noticeably better than your current setup - I have never ridden a WR or a T7 Extreme. I'd rather do what @john_aero suggests tbh.

There was a post last week from a member where they took the internals of all suspensions out as a comparison. not sure if was FB or forums.

The extreme I know has different/upgraded internals.

From list below all I see you get for your money is 20mm extra travel (RR, Toruratech, Tractive and not sure about Ohlins or Ktech) offer this as a free option. also preload adjuster on front and Kashima coating.

Rear looks identical bar extra travel (again can be picked on any aftermarket system)

For your money all your getting a a new colour fork, bit longer and heavier springs as the WR is a heavier bike. 

Would I buy them? NO.

Essentially your buy a slightly longer front end and a spare rear shock. For the price you would get a full front end internals specced to yoru weight and riding. Then have $900 left to put towards a new shock or have own rebuild using k-tech piston kit and proper spring for your weight,

Issue is if you fit them you may still find the suspension is not setup for your weight. 

Quick Google

Forks

Base model

*210 mm travel 43mm KYB forks
*Adjustable rebound + compression damping (no preload)

WR Model

* 230mm travel 43mm KYB forks, Kashima coating on outer tube, lightweight internals
* Preload adjustability as well as rebound + compression damping

Shocks

* 200mm travel
* Remotely adjustable preload, compression + rebound damping

* 220mm travel, piggyback oil reservoir, aluminium body.
* Also fully adjustable

• Like 1

And any good suspension shop can have your forks re coated if liked the look.

suspension101 in USA is very highly rated

Sorry assumed USA when said $$$$ just spotted your in Singapore. 

If shipping to Oz isnt dear they have some excellent suspension shops specializing in the tenere 700

Edited by john_aero
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input. I think there are enough aftermarket/better options for  the T7 than getting the WR suspension. Since my bike is brand new, I'm gonna just ride with the standard setup for a while and decide on the setup best for me. 

Again, really appreciate the input!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, yycools said:

Thanks everyone for the input. I think there are enough aftermarket/better options for  the T7 than getting the WR suspension. Since my bike is brand new, I'm gonna just ride with the standard setup for a while and decide on the setup best for me. 

Again, really appreciate the input!

Good choice imho! This way, you'll really get to know the bike and will most likely appreciate a suspension upgrade later even more.

for your money the best upgrade i found was front fork Open Cartridge internals (Rally Raid, Ohline or K-tech)

All can be done by an average DIY'er and for under 1k

Rear should just re spring for weight, the K-Tech piston kit is meant to be good and not dear.

Then save up for  anew shock in time. Value for money the front out weights the rear. i was amazed the difference new front internals did

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john_aero said:

for your money the best upgrade i found was front fork Open Cartridge internals (Rally Raid, Ohline or K-tech)

All can be done by an average DIY'er and for under 1k

Rear should just re spring for weight, the K-Tech piston kit is meant to be good and not dear.

Then save up for  anew shock in time. Value for money the front out weights the rear. i was amazed the difference new front internals did

I agree. And, while I had Ktech fork internals installed in mine, I went with their shock rebuild kit as well and am very happy with them.

• Like 2