Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Question About Eliminating Cat

Lagunabzrd

Question

Hi All,

I just picked up a 24 TÉNÉRÉ 700 and was curious about doing a full exhaust. I was wondering if the bike will need to be tuned eliminating the catalytic converter or if the bike still runs the same. I’ve got a tuned 18 R1 and I did a full exhaust and the bike ran ok, but not the same, until I got it tuned. Was wondering if it might be the same situation, and if it’s even worth it power and sound wise or if just doing a slip on is good enough to get some better sound; I’m not expecting major power gains. 

Thanks,

Rob

@SXXP while I do have a set of headers, I am not currently using them and my flash is for the stock catalytic converter with a CamelADV mid pipe and muffler (with no dB killer) , along with a removal of the intake snorkel and a Twin Air pre-filter. 

The Euro5 cat is fairly light, so weight was not a part of my decision  to remove the headers.  I just didn't like the way they sounded with the dB killer in and the bike was too loud without it. Since the headers only make a significant difference above 9,000 RPM, I decided that was not enough to sacrifice the fantastic exhaust sound the CamelADV system gave me. 

• Like 1

For years I thought a flash was a guy running raked across the field during a football game. 🏃‍♂️

After having a lot of different bikes and having 4 or 5 flashed I have to say most were not worth the $400 or so to have it done... except one, a 2012 Connie 14.

There is a guy in Florida named Steve. He is the owner of Shoodaben Engineering. Shoodaben meaning making the bike run like it "should have been" from the factory. The guy is a first rate engine builder and tuner. 

For those of you not familiar with a Connie 14, the proper name is a Kawasaki Concours 14. It is a fire breathing sport touring bike. Kawi mated the ZX 14 crotch rocket motor with an all day comfort, upright ergos sport touring chassis. It's a bike that can easily cruise at 140 mph all day long with no problems except having to stop for gas every 75 miles of so. Oh and don't forget that funny red light in your rear view.

Despite having a big 1352 cc inline 4 engine, my connie was a bit sluggish and uninspiring in the low and mid range until Steve flashed my ECU. His flash totally transformed this motorcycle. The increase in low and mid range torque was hard to believe and made it so much more fun to ride. Although Steve does not tune for peak horse power but rather focuses on  proper A/F ratios to make the bike more rider friendly, don't let his mission profile fool you. His tune netted 18 more HP on his dyno. So the once sluggish Connie 14 ain't sluggish no moe.

Having this bike flashed and the huge performance gain it provided was definitely worth the price of admission.

Back to our T-700's, the way our little Cross Plane twin runs leaves me perfectly content to save my money and keep it stock. Especially when you consider the amazing performance it gives out while averaging 55 mpg on average. I have seen as high as 65 mpg on a recent run up in the high Sierras.

To sum it all up... I am happy as a clam at high tide.🦀 I know it's not a clam, but it's the closest I could find in the emoji menu.

2015-11-12 13.32.40 HDR.jpg