Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crutch Swingarm Stand

Finch

Crutch Stand

I was trying to find a transportable method of holding up the rear tyre of the bike in order to let it spin freely. After some research I found a youtube video (shown below)

And some posts on the forum about it but no overview of the item as a whole.

The stand seems solid enough for things like maintaining the chain as demonstrated in the video, and if you look through the forum you can even find people using it to fix punctures.

The “super useful bike stand thingy” is compact, cheap and a decent option for those in a pinch or someone who like myself wanted a transportable item. I would personally be slightly skeptical of using it if I were to remove the back tyre but for other purposes such as cleaning the chain I see no dramas. While it may put slightly more strain on the side stand than usual it doesn’t seem like enough to cause any issues as the crutch will hold its own.

All you need to make it is the crutches themselves (which I had lying around from a previous injury but are apparently cheap on eBay) and a method of cutting them to size. I used a hacksaw and some oil as lubricant. I found the ideal length is around 14 inches, this will lift the bike just far enough off the ground to spin the tyre but not enough to make the bike unstable. IMG_5750.jpeg.7f0b957de65b3021ec343f8e6311b27d.jpeg

To summarise:

-All you need is a pair of crutches and method of cutting to size

-Ideal overall length ~14 inches 

-Stable enough to carry out maintenance like cleaning chain potentially stable enough for tyre removal

-Light & compact alternative to traditional ‘stands’

Not my bike ( DR650 ) but me doing a flat for an engineer challenged rider.

See cut down crutch under swing arm.

2 years ago 

Flat.jpeg

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I bought one similiar from amazon.

• Like 1

For years (first on my old DR650, now on the T7 and DRZ) I've used a old, fully intact crutch as a very stable garage/driveway stand for lubing the chain. The Y near the crutch bottom securely wedges between the frame and footpeg once the bike is pushed over on the side stand and the rear wheel is off the ground. I was going to cut the crutch just above the Y and carry it for trailside use, but instead inherited a smaller purpose-built stand that is stowed under the T7's seat with the flat repair kit.

IMG00584-20150913-1050.jpg.38678e858bfcd437bb6b29266dcd6f7d.jpg     

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Think the gucci option is the eastbound trail stand

I made my own out of a kids bicycle handle thing I found laying around, like this 

You can get two stands out of one handle

I did weld up a Y section for the top and a nice wide foot. The crutch mod doesn't need a welder but it's hella bulky. Mine lives under the seat 

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pics

If you zoom in on the bottom pic you can see the adjustment is via one of those pop out button jobs.

All the commercial ones use an R clip or otherwise solid pin so thought I'd leave the button and can always shove an Allen key in the hole if it breaks but it seems plenty strong enough so far 

20240704_140252.jpg

20240704_140412.jpg

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 1