Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hypertech rear shock leaking

Dirtcheese

Took a trip to the grocery store on my T7 and took my short cut involving alittle off road and some jumps. When i got back from the store i noticed a puddle of oil forming under my rear shock, which slowly stopped. After a wipe down and sitting on the bike up and down the leak started again. I bought it this past Feburary with 18k and now has 25k miles and its been lowered with front and back hypertech suspension by previose owner, i do still have the stock suspension.  I know nothing about moto suspension and just wanted to get as much insight on where to go from here before i diy or take it to a shop. Also noticed some damage where the chain hit the rear shock oil resivoir in 3rd pic. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20240702_194320_1.jpg

IMG_20240702_195251_1.jpg

IMG_20240702_200153_1.jpg

i had similar years ago and was cause by the lower bolt sticking to the linkage. when shock was compressed the chrome shaft move sideways, this pressed on the seal and allowed oil to leak.

your shock may just need a service and have the seals done, no different than leaking forks, seals wear and leak.

Posted (edited)

Your shock needs a rebuild.  Not terribly expensive.  Find a suspension service shop and get it done, not a dealer shop.  Most dealers do not have the tools, parts or experience to service a motorcycle shock properly.

From the pic it looks like your shock has a remote reservoir.  You need to move it from where it is currently mounted to somewhere it will not be hit by the chain or anything else.  

That is considerable damage and hopefully the remote reservoir can be salvaged and reused.  If not you are looking at a bunch more money to have the remote body replaced.  That flat cap on the remote must be removed for a rebuild and it is held on by a circlip just inside the body.  Hopefully the damage is not deep and it hasn't reached the groove for the circlip.  If it has you will likely need to replace the body.  

Sucks the previous owner didn't have enough sense to mount it properly.  

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1