Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Suspension 101 Gobble Pro Build for the T7

Meckbot

Gobbler Pro Build Impressions after 500 miles

Full disclosure on me and my riding- I'm mostly a "BDR" rider with a mix of desert two and single track with the occasional single and mostly two track in the forest in my area. I'm an aspiring enduro rider but prefer to work on that on the smaller bikes (FE501 or on rare occasions the KLX300s we have for work). I came to dirt from a solid street riding background. Take that however you will. My riding requires long days in the saddle and long sections of road to get to the good stuff. Then usually long days on the dirt. So this is the lens I view the improvements for context.

This is the full meal deal from George at the stock ride height. Forks are completely redone with springs, sprung mid Valves, and gobblers and have travel extended by 18mm. Shock is redone to George's Gobbler spec and also resprung for rider weight. Ride Height is stock. The gobbler's basically give you the ability to "revalve" the fork quickly for different surface or riding types and give you high and low speed compression on the front.

First trail is a well known two track that I've ridden many times. This time of year it's got a mix of Whoops, hidden pot holes, washboard, and changing surfaces (hard pack, marbel gravel, embedded rock, loose rock, some mud from snow melt). Not the most technical but with a wide array of surfaces that big bikes struggle with at times, especially the budget friendly OEM suspension on the T7. It's also most reflective of the kind of of riding I do 80 percent of the time when off road. It also had a decent road section to feel the difference of how it handles on the interstate and county back roads. Tires currently- Tusk 2Track front and Motoz RallZ 140/80.

George, the owner of Suspension 101, wasn't kidding that the washboard largely disappears. You still feel them but not in the hands or seat which is amazing. I hit some of the Whoops at a pretty decent clip for me and while the G outs and hits were noticeable, I never felt the bike get out of control even on some sharp hits that I didn't see when they were hidden in shadow. Only manged to bottom out the fork once (I think) and that was a 40 mph hit.

Pace was easily 10-20 mph faster and I didn't feel like I was out riding the bike or my vision. One of the most surprising aspects I wasn't expecting was the increased feel, traction, and confidence in braking. Even when I had to emergency brake coming across Bambi and Mama in a corner.

I chalk the better braking up to having proper springs and the bike being balanced vs diving and not having the stroke to handle the changing surface. The SS lines from the Camel Adv High Fender kit also seemed to help with brake feel through the lever.

While I didn't dive into the rock gardens, I was able to assess the fork and shocks on the baby head and chunky embedded rock abilities on hill climbs and descents. Very much improved over stock and a lot less hits on my hand.

At no point, even in the hits at speed when I was riding like an idiot, did I feel the bike get out of sorts. All in all, money well spent and Susp 101's customer service and turn around was amazing.

I was moving at a faster pace, with less effort, safer. I was picking lines I wanted to take vs the easiest line or less fatigue inducing line. The bike was responsive and agile without being harsh and stiff which is downright sorcery.

All in all I'm super happy and look forward to shredding the rest of this season.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Nice!  Further validation for my purchase too!

I ordered the Gobbler kit a couple of weeks ago,  but as a DIY effort with emails/phone support from S101 as I go along.  I have installed RT Gold Valves, serviced multiple shocks and cracked open the mid valve assembly on my WR450 in the past, so I have do have some background/experience doing these things and opted to forgo the "whole enchilada" package (mostly the extra travel) and save myself some money and do it myself.   I got the shock completed this past weekend, and have the forks off the bike but will only dive into them this coming weekend.   A lower back injury is keeping me off the bike for at least another month, so I'm not in a particular hurry to get this done and I am being very careful and deliberate as a screw up can get really expensive.  

May I ask what your rear shock comp and rebound setting were set to?

Edited by SXXP

I believe 12 Comp and 8 clicks of rebound as it came to me after the rebuild.

I had Nomad Swedens settings on the stock suspension before sending it to 101. Calmed it down quick a bit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Meckbot said:

I had Nomad Swedens settings on the stock suspension before sending it to 101. Calmed it down quick a bit.

Same👍

On 7/2/2024 at 5:51 AM, Meckbot said:

I believe 12 Comp and 8 clicks of rebound as it came to me after the rebuild.

S101 recommended the same starting clicks for me too.

All done withe forks and shock now.  Just need to ride the bike in the dirt now.

• Like 1

Hope you dig it! Super confidence inspiring for me and it rips now offroad.

Time to spoon on an new rear tire, my Rallz is roasted.

• Like 1