Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

I did the big boo-boo (torque oil plug at 32)

MotoNetizen

Question

Sooo in a quick run down..

I just hit 600 miles wanted to do the first oil change myself. I’ve done 100s in my lifetime.. for some reason I wanted to everything according to speck instead of my gut.. so i set my torque wrench to 32 lbs and put on a new crush washer…. And I don’t hear a click…. ( it was at that moment I knew I fucked up.. ) back it out and behold I see the oil pans threads on the bolt…

granted I was hyped cuz I have the alpine loop to do this month and was getting the bike ready for it… 150 bucks later I have a new oil pan and a gasket coming … I do have a question tho.. does anyone know what the torque specs are for the oil pans 11 bolts ? 

I knew Better than to even use a torque wrench on a drain plug.. but I’m sure I need to torque these properly at least 

any help? 

IMG_1564.jpeg

5 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

I aim for 16-20 ft/lbs. You can't fix with helixcoil or time-sert?

Edit.  Sorry I jumped the gun. Those 11 bolts the manual says 10 N-m.

Edited by Tseven

Posted (edited)

Thanks so much.. yeah I fucked up lucky this isn’t a Ducati lol 

Edited by MotoNetizen

Yeah 10nm is nothing, not even hand tight, but I’d use loctite 5900 or similar (flange sealant) putting it back on. No leaks.