Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Resurrected Honda

Hibobb

My 1991 VFR750 was covered and stored in the barn for a few years (Seven to be exact).  I finally got the itch to ride it again so I pulled it out and spent a day doing maintenance.

The old gas smelled like turpentine so I dumped that. New tires, oil, antifreeze, brake fluid... It started right up, but the floats were stuck and spewed gas all over the place.

So took the carb set off and put new float needles and seats in. The jets were fine, I checked them all with a set of gauge pins. Fork seals didn't leak so I held off changing them and the fluid.

Now the bike runs like new. Took it out and put on 100 miles or so. The riding position is tight for an old guy, but thrill of the motor put a smile on my face.

I got lots of "Thumbs Up" from the hooligan kids as I road. Life is good!

image.png

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 9

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Thumps up from me, too! A true classic!

3 hours ago, Hibobb said:

My 1991 VFR750 was covered and stored in the barn for a few years (Seven to be exact).  I finally got the itch to ride it again so I pulled it out and spent a day doing maintenance.

The old gas smelled like turpentine so I dumped that. New tires, oil, antifreeze, brake fluid... It started right up, but the floats were stuck and spewed gas all over the place.

So took the carb set off and put new float needles and seats in. The jets were fine, I checked them all with a set of gauge pins. Fork seals didn't leak so I held off changing them and the fluid.

Now the bike runs like new. Took it out and put on 100 miles or so. The riding position is tight for an old guy, but thrill of the motor put a smile on my face.

I got lots of "Thumbs Up" from the hooligan kids as I road. Life is good!

image.png

My first big bike after passing my test in 1991

Same colour too

Straight from a 125cc to that 

Toured Europe on it 

Loved it 

• Like 1