Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

GYTR Rear Fuel Tank Install Log

GabbyMikka

//UPDATE 09 SEPTEMBER 2024//

The new tank is on, everything is plumbed, and it works!

I conducted a static test today. Fuel transfer is a bit slow. It took about 3 minutes to move ~3gals from the rear to the front, and I went from flashing to 5 bars, which makes sense given the oddity of Yamaha's fuel bar system. Next up, testing while riding. The only issue here is I need to take the bike in to have the pannier racks modified to fit the rear, and she'll probably be at the fab shop for a week or two. 

//UPDATED 31 JULY 2024//

The installation is complete except for connecting to the main tank. I think I've spent close to 2k on it, maybe a bit more. 

• Is it worth it? Honestly, no. I think the Camel ADV tank is a better deal. Plus, the tank is so wide at the base that you're limited in what type of bags you can install. Anything that ties into the passenger pegs is a no-go, so most hard bags are out. 
  • Who is it for? I'd say distance riders who are doing BDRs, the TET, TAT or TWAT. Rides that are primarily off roads where you would use soft luggage with fairly spread out fuel points. Or those wanting to run rallies like Baja, where you have a support crew. 
  • Would I buy it again? Nope. In fact, I'm contemplating pulling it off. Don't get me wrong - I'm happy I tried it. And I really like how it looks, but I'm considering having a custom frame made to mount hard bags (I do a lot of urban riding and need them for security / COSTCO runs). 

//UPDATED 24 JULY 2024//

Camel ADV exhausts are incompatible with this set-up

I ordered the GYRT Rear Fuel Tank kit for my NA Tenere 700. This thread will document the tank installation, wiring, and setup. 

GYRT Aft Fuel Kit P/N: GYTR-T700-HTK

Instructions Here *Link Updated 2024.07.24 Should now work w/o requesting access*

Order Placed:    2024.06.05 

Order Shipped: 2024.06.11 - Note that the rear brake kit held up the order.

Order Arrived: 2024.06.24

Bike prepped: 2024.07.23

Tank Kit Installation started: 2024.07.23
Install of Aux Tanks Completed: 2024.07.25

Overall Impressions

2024.06.24: All brackets are made of steel. The tanks are made from a translucent white plastic covered in an outer shell. The shell feels like it would take paint or decals. Overall, it feels & looks well-designed. I am a little disappointed that the kit's rear place does not come with a T Connector for the overflow tubes shown in the Off the Road photos. 

Fuel Transfer and Wiring
If this were set up as a World Raid GYRT bike, the supplied fuel hose would connect the aft tanks to the front tanks via the front tank fuel balancer hose. The aft tanks would then pump fuel into the forward tank when the switch is triggered, activating the aft pump and sending fuel forward. This is similar to how the DesertX does it. The primary difference is that DesertX monitors the front fuel levels and does not allow transfer until the forward tank can sustain the influx of fuel. Transfers can be done on the fly (from what I've seen) by selecting the option in the Rider menu on the dash.

On the Tenere, monitoring is done via the rider, and transfers occur when the rider flips a physical switch on the bars. 
I need to figure out the pin configuration on the aft pump and provide power via my Eastern Beaver P8, which is controlled via the stock switch. The pump has a 3-pin connector (I need to remove the mounting bracket to confirm), and the switch has a standard 3-pin triangle. 

Help Needed

If anyone has the pin out for the aft fuel pump and wants to share, that would be awesome. 

Some things to note:

1) I know other options are cheaper and easier to install. However, this thread is not about those options. 

2) I am not running the GYRT front dual tanks or the GYRT wire bundle. This means my plumbing and powering of the aft fuel pump will not be per the instructions. 

3) The instructions are in Ikean. Lots of photos w/o many words. They are from Yamaha and not the vendor, so I'll get them uploaded. 

4) Please let me know if anyone needs measurements or other information. 

5) I'm waiting on a tail tidy from Camel ADV to start. I prefer to do the whole thing one time. 

6) Yes, these were ordered from Off The Road, and they sent along the required Harbio Goldären.

0.1c Delivery .jpg

0.1e Delivery .jpg

0.1a Delivery .jpg

0.1b Delivery .jpg

Edited by GabbyMikka
Updated progress 20240909
  • Like 5

First of all put some proper footwear on. Nothing in the mounting options about that? 😊

And is there any mounting instruction for these "Goldbären"?🐻🐻

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ede-DE said:

First of all put some proper footwear on. Nothing in the mounting options about that? 😊

And is there any mounting instruction for these "Goldbären"?🐻🐻

Nope. But they come with every package I order from Germany. Regardless of what I order.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, GabbyMikka said:

Nope. But they come with every package I order from Germany. Regardless of what I order.

👍 Same here. It's the first after opening the package that's done while studying the mounting instructions.

Do you know that these tanks are made by Acerbis for GYTR?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GabbyMikka said:

I'm pretty sure our online shops only include them on international orders, we rarely get them over here 😂

Edit: Seems to be that I always order from the wrong shops, @Ede-DE has obviously more luck!

Edited by Tenerider

10 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

👍 Same here. It's the first after opening the package that's done while studying the mounting instructions.

Do you know that these tanks are made by Acerbis for GYTR?

I heard they were made by Acerbis, but there's nothing on the tank to indicate it. I know the fuel pump is a Mitsubishi.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?

@Meckbot Just got the last parts in today. And I'm hoping to start next week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GabbyMikka said:

@Meckbot Just got the last parts in today. And I'm hoping to start next week.

I look forward to it. I was eyeballing it and thinking that if the tanks didn't have fuel pumps to power and switch's to wire and mount then wouldn't it be possible to hook it up similar to the Camel ADV tank were it would feed passively? 

@Meckbot no, it is, and I looked at doing a blanking plate with a bulkhead fitting, but decided against it. Moreso to see if it could be wired in.

• Like 1

UPDATE ON PROJECT: DAY 1 2024.07.23

I want to start by saying I have three main items I needed to complete during this teardown

1) Aux Tank Installation

2) Brake line upgrades (Review of Off the Road lines here)

3) Bring power to accessories mounted in the dash/bar area w/o using the Yamaha Aux lines. 

Day 1 was spent tearing the bike down and installing the new brake lines. I stripped all the fairings off because the tank needed to come off for the brake lines. You do not need to take the forward fairings off if you are replacing the fuel pump with a blanking plate and completing the fuel circuit like the Camel set-up. 

Removal needed for the Tank Install:

• Exhaust
  • Side panels
  • Rear cowling
  • Tail 
  • Rear fender
  • Rear mudguard
  • Seats
    image.jpeg.e9b18c8a804ae192e9409ae20c5b5118.jpeg
  • Like 1

UPDATE DAY 2: 2024.07.24 Instructions in JPEG Pt 1

Yamaha GYRT Aft Tanks-page-001.jpg

Yamaha GYRT Aft Tanks-page-002.jpg

Yamaha GYRT Aft Tanks-page-003.jpg

• Like 1

UPDATE DAY 2: 2024.07.24 Instructions in JPEG Pt 2

Yamaha GYRT Aft Tanks-page-004.jpg

Yamaha GYRT Aft Tanks-page-005.jpg

Yamaha GYRT Aft Tanks-page-006.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

UPDATE DAY 2: 2024.07.24 Installation

Installation is pretty straightforward. Before installing the tanks, you need to install the rear fender, tail, and left and right mounting brackets. The brackets are compatible with foot pegs and NICECNC tiedown brackets. Remember to install the little brackets for the side panel mounts. 

I am using an Eastern Bear Yamaha Tenere 700 PC-8 for power distribution. 

1. Install rear fender.
  2. Install tail tidy (I used the @Camel ADV tail tidy, and it's like OEM in fitment.)
  3. Install Left & Right mounting brackets for the tank (Item 3) and for the side panels (Item 2)
  4. Install the Left tank per instructions. The tank is designed to fit around the ECU. 
  5. STOP Do not install the Right Tank. The master relay needs to be moved first (Red Circle). Relocate the Master Relay to the plastic tray inside the frame. This is the same tray that holds the BlueTooth module. There is a smaller relay in the spot. It will need to be moved forward. Cut a notch in the battery box and install it there (Blue Circle)
  6. Install the Right Tank - Connect the balancing tube and install the rear mudguard.

If you are using the stock fuel pump, then you'll need a connector with two wires ~90cm long. Eastern Beaver can supply the connecter. The pump itself has two wires, Blue & Black. I'm working on the assumption that Blue is Power and Black is ground. When you mount the supplied fuel switch to the handlebar, Blue is power, and Green is for the rear tank.  Eastern Beaver makes a 5A handlebar switch that would be a good substitute. If you buy it, have it wired with the 2-pin connector and a 91cm extender, or have it with 122cm of wire and terminate it as needed. 

image.jpeg.a40ffac0483beb9d455baf5c860c109d.jpegimage.jpeg.d2c1fb47755d03bc4da93e06e5b5671a.jpeg

20240724_193238.jpg

20240724_193227.jpg

Edited by GabbyMikka
  • Like 3

I take it this wouldn't work with a Camel Rally Bend? How about an Enduro Bend?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meckbot said:

I take it this wouldn't work with a Camel Rally Bend? How about an Enduro Bend?

@Camel ADV what measurements do you need to know if the exhaust won't work with the Rally Bend?

The bottom of the right tank is a pretty low. The bottom is just at the point of wear the upper webbing is.

17219714352305574154847122090514.jpg

• Like 1

I'm curious if the cut down exhaust hanger with bracket will contact the tank. I'll take some measurements and picks after work to compare. 

Can you take one a bit further back and one from the rear? Might help put the whole thing into perspective.

Im looking forward to how you solve the cargo rack problem. I just installed my Gnoblin for my Reckless 80. *sigh* something tells me this wouldnt work.

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, GabbyMikka said:

@Camel ADV what measurements do you need to know if the exhaust won't work with the Rally Bend?

The bottom of the right tank is a pretty low. The bottom is just at the point of wear the upper webbing is.

17219714352305574154847122090514.jpg

I seriously doubt these tanks would be compatible with either of our high exhaust kits; the tank is simply too low.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

8 hours ago, Meckbot said:

I'm curious if the cut down exhaust hanger with bracket will contact the tank. I'll take some measurements and picks after work to compare. 

Can you take one a bit further back and one from the rear? Might help put the whole thing into perspective.

Im looking forward to how you solve the cargo rack problem. I just installed my Gnoblin for my Reckless 80. *sigh* something tells me this wouldnt work.

I ordered a SHAD 4P rack for the bike. The SHAD uses the exhaust hanger as a mounting point, so it should sit far enough out.

I'll get the bike out next week and shoot some better photos, but like Cory said, the tank sits to low for the Camel exhausts to work.

Bummer, well back to the drawing board, or a Camel Tank.

I'm stoked for your install man. I really wanted to turn a US bike into a GYTR bike as I really want the front WR tanks but Yamaha Europe hates us apparently.

Edited by Meckbot

4 hours ago, Meckbot said:

Bummer, well back to the drawing board, or a Camel Tank.

I'm stoked for your install man. I really wanted to turn a US bike into a GYTR bike as I really want the front WR tanks but Yamaha Europe hates us apparently.

There's a MST makes an alloy version, but I think you'd have the same issue.

Panonian makes a left side only tank.

But yeah, if you want the snazzy exhaust you need the Camel Adv rear tank.

• Like 1

All back together! Well she was last week but just got photos done.

20240801_154008.jpg

20240801_154022.jpg

20240801_154028.jpg

20240801_154015.jpg

20240801_154037.jpg

• Like 3

Nice write-up! Really appreciate it 😀

Would I possibly request to have a close-up shot from the same direction as the last photo (directly from the rear, or slightly from below) showing the area underneath and inside by the exhaust mount? I am trying to see how far down the tanks come into that area 🙂

Posted (edited)

@712moto I'll try to grab one tomorrow

Edited by GabbyMikka