Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dunlop Mission VS Raid

Husafreak

Has anyone here had both? I like the Mission's except when it is really cold and wet they move around a bit. But they are really confident tires for me. I wanted to try a set of Raid's but reviewers are saying the front tire hunts grooves and slides a lot in dirt, not good. I got a coupon for Dunlops and I'm due replacement soon. So it will be one of those. The Dunlop rep I spoke with said if I like the Missions I should stick with them. I know there are a lot of pros and cons, I can live with most, but if the Raid front is sketchy both on and off road that's a no go. 

Oh, I found a good comparison of the two on the Super Tenere forum .

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2024 at 1:19 PM, Husafreak said:

Oh, I found a good comparison of the two on the Super Tenere forum .

Do you have a link? 

Having ridden on the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires for the past two seasons, I've gotten quite a good feel for them..............What their strengths and weaknesses are, what they can and can't...

I have about 1500 miles on my Raids now, I think the linked review is really accurate.

I got 11,600 on my Mission Front tire and could have gone quite a bit farther. But I wanted to take advantage of the Dunlop $100 rebate and my Anakee adventure on the back was done. I am easy on tires but I think the Missions have amazing life, 10-15,000 miles! The only thing I disliked about the Mission front was in really cold or cold/wet weather they would slide occasionally, and man that really gets your attention!  The compound is so hard (and heavy) I think they should not be pushed too hard in those conditions.

Now I have had the Raids in every road/off road condition. They are great on road considering how dirt worthy they are, great grip, but the front wanders in grooves or rough pavement, it really has a mind of its own, LOL. it wants to wander in the dirt too when straight up, but as soon as you lean it over it grips! Off road on hard packed dirt and smaller rocks it was very confidence inspiring. I had a blast cornering accelerating and braking. I felt that I could hold any line no matter the terrain. In deep silty stuff and deep fresh gravel the bike was sliding and wandering though. I was standing, weight back, on the gas and praying, I guess a T7 fully loaded with multi day camping gear will do that with any tire. 

IMHO the Mission is probably a better fit for me, because I am on the road so much and like a smooth stable tire that completely ignores the road surface. Maybe Dunlop can fix the front Raid, it is so close to being perfect. I guess it really depends on how much that front tire wandering and chasing grooves bothers you.

You didn't mention the type of riding you do.  I've run the Dunlop Mission and Raids on my GSA as well as a slew of Motoz tires.  For mostly street and light dirt I would recommend the Missions.  I tried the Raids and they have a pretty significant downside compared to the Mission - wear.  They are wearing almost 2x quicker than the set of Missions I had.  And they are really not much better in the dirt (hard-pack, gravel, sand and granite) that I ride.  I do think they may be a bit better wrt wet riding.  I also think the front tire was a bit quieter than the Mission on the front of the GSA.  I did not notice either tracking grooves any more than any other 50/50 or more dirt biased tire.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am surprised by how fast the Raids are wearing, 2x faster than the missions at least. And I am having second thoughts about the front being something I want to even live with. Coming home from San Francisco the other night, after a looong day, a car crash and construction made for miles of stopped traffic, lane splitting was just really sketchy! I don't mind too much when they wander or try to track pavement overlaps during the day or on open roads but they were doing that aggressively in tight spacing and darkness when I couldn't watch the road and it started to piss me off, LOL. Like how could Dunlop sell a tire like this for pavement?