Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Radiator Guard, Crash Bars or just run Naked?

GabbyMikka

I'm trying to decide what I want to do for protection.

Has anyone successfully used the CA Radiator Guard (besides Cory)? Does it do the job? Or do you wish you had crash bars?

For the crash bar people, what are you using, and why?

Altrider Lowers with Barkbusters here, they keep the T7 nicely off the ground when laying it down.  I've put it down a few times at low speeds, and all is good so far. I also had to put her on her side, and drag her around 180 degrees to exit a tight spot, same good results. Good enough without adding more stuff.20240522_140050.jpg.02a92837c44e7072689139aa8a6b501c.jpg

• Like 1

I have heed full crash bars. If I were to do it again, I would probably try the lowers only. However for travel or camping, the full bars are very nice for strapping bags to so you can balance the luggage weight between front and back better.

I’ve been debating on the camel side panels and no bars, but after dropping the bike on some irregular rocks, and seeing how the pointy parts can find their way into the engine area, I’m not totally sure if I would do no crash bars at all

• Like 1

• Moderators

No crashbars or Rad guards, just really beefy HDB hand guards. 20K miles about 6K of those dirt. One zero speed drop, no regrets ( so far). 😉

20230512_142728.jpg.e89e1ba57398ff8453db4ce385ea998d.jpg

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...

I opted for the Yamaha accessory crash bars, no regrets. Tested. Proven! 

I have the lowers. If I had to do it again I would buy the aftermarket fairings and save the weight.

I've never had any crashbars on any of my bikes. The last and so far only crash with my T7 was with a backing truck that couldn't see me. In that case even a complete set of crash bars would have been of no help.

I have nearly (exept for the fork guards by Camel) all the aftermarket fairings made from PP on my T7 but never dropped it by accident. The exhaust is a high mounted and out of danger. Even the hand guards are stock T7. A bit scratchy now but they still do the job.

In case you like a lot of luggage these crash bars might be a good place to attach some small soft bags.

If unsure what to do when riding put a sticker in sight that says, DON'T DROP YOUR BIKE!

And btw I'd like to run naked (in my backyard) 😜

Edited by Ede-DE

• 2 weeks later...

Naked now, had sw motech crash bars that bent inward at the mounting tabs. Camel adv fairings and wanted the alt rider lowers but they were unavailable last year. I want them for mounting highway peg and tank bag attachment points more than crash protection tbh

No radiator guard, Crash bar from Adventure Spec. Amazing crash bar, very lightweight (is made out of aluminum) with an amazing attachments system under the motorcycle dashboard. Very sturdy

PXL_20240622_123550064.jpg.1690dfac6f6175710773f572905d62d4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have Heavy Duties lower enduro bars, nice, low down and protects vitals

However today i would but Camel Adv/Rtech fairings

The Camel Adv rad guard. 

Just to add, i find running naked has got me in more trouble than its worth 🙂

Edited by john_aero