Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 restricted to 35kW (Switzerland)

syntarx

I asked if there is interest in more info on the restricted T7 (<35kW) in another thread. There was interest, so here we are.

I'll post some picture on how it look and how it works in the next days. Also, I started tracking my fuel today to give you some data on the fuel economy. I'll post updates on this but it'll take a while for useful data.

Edited by syntarx
  • Like 4

Fuel Log

Full - 5939km
Full - 6153km (+10.37L) 19.60CHf.

Current economy: 4.85 L/100 km (48.54 mpg)

7 hours ago, syntarx said:

Fuel Log

Full - 5939km
Full - 6153km (+10.37L) 19.60CHf.

Current economy: 4.85 L/100 km (48.54 mpg)

I take it that’s US mpg. Rest of world mpg is just over 1 gal for the 100km, around 58mpg. It will loosen up as it wears in too. 👍 have fun experimenting on a clear road. I can average over 90mpg at a steady 50mph. Less than 40 mpg at “other speeds”. 😁
how long are you restricted for?

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

I take it that’s US mpg. Rest of world mpg is just over 1 gal for the 100km, around 58mpg. It will loosen up as it wears in too. 👍 have fun experimenting on a clear road. I can average over 90mpg at a steady 50mph. Less than 40 mpg at “other speeds”. 😁
how long are you restricted for?

I did some mountain passes and a 120km highway stretch (up to 90mph), as well as some city riding and being stuck in traffic within these 214km. I guess I will just keep on riding and logging and will have a good avg for me in a couple days/weeks. 
I'm restricted for a little more than a year. 2 years in total.

Forgive me not following along in your other thread, or knowing the laws of Switzerland, but why are you restricted? How do they restrict the T7 in your application?

I think I have Yamaha disease...

19 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Forgive me not following along in your other thread, or knowing the laws of Switzerland, but why are you restricted? How do they restrict the T7 in your application?

Can only tell for Germany: If you're under a certain age, you're not allowed to ride bikes with more than 35kW (I think actually it's also a power-to-weight limit).

On the CP2, afaik there's only a spacer which limits max throttle. No remapping.

26 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

On the CP2, afaik there's only a spacer which limits max throttle. No remapping.

That wouldn't last five minutes in the US😉......of course, you would run the risk of being busted/found-out if you were ever stopped for a violation.  I'm assuming the Swiss police are more aware/diligent than our counterparts.

Reminds me of my California model WR450 which came with a throttle stop to prevent wide open throttle inputs  in the name of emission controls.  Of course, that was the first thing to go along with a bunch of other restrictive stuff.

Edited by SXXP
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SXXP said:

That wouldn't last five minutes in the US😉......of course, you would run the risk of being busted/found-out if you were ever stopped for a violation.

Reminds me of my WR450 which came with a throttle stop to prevent wide open throttle inputs in the name of emission control.  Of course, that was the first thing to go along with a bunch of other restrictive stuff.

Same here of course!

I think it's the case throughout the European Union. When I got my licence, it was 2 years at 25kw...

That sounds just like @SXXP said. When I got my CDN WR450 it was so corked up it barely ran...15 minutes later and a couple hundred (ECU) and it was a YZF. Do the Swiss check throttle opening during annual or road side inspections? Should be easy to uncork the CP2 to up the giggle factor.

In France you have to go for two years of A2 driving licence (35kw restricted engines) before being allowed to drive wathever engine.  
For the A2 driving licence restriction of the CP2 Yamaha has studied a clamping which really allows to maintain a fun and efficient engine behavior. Always available at low revs, and no impression of being “restricted” at high revs. With certain purely electronic restrictions, you sometimes have the impression of experiencing more or less a cut when revving up. In order to guarantee this level of power, the Yamaha clamping is on two levels: electronic, with a partly modified ECU , but also mechanical with specific air intake pipes

IMG_2298.jpeg

Edited by Fafou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 11:26 PM, Canzvt said:

Sorry for the late response, but I got no notifications on my thread running hot.

On 6/21/2024 at 6:54 PM, Tenerider said:

Can only tell for Germany: If you're under a certain age, you're not allowed to ride bikes with more than 35kW (I think actually it's also a power-to-weight limit).

This is only correct to a certain extent here in Switzerland. You have to ride <35kW for two years no matter your age. If you want to start riding there is no way around it (except Military Police, where you can get the big license immediately).

My T7 has this spacer/bracket too. This is how Yamaha allows the limitation of bikes. There are other ways with fuel injection and airbox modifications.

Yes, if the police would find out, you opened the bike without being allowed to do, you're screwed. But I'm more afraid of not getting insurance coverage in case of an accident, it might not even be my mistake. I might sound like a baby, but police and laws in general are quite restrictive here. I wouldn't suggest breaking the law if you ever visit, it's way too expensive.

To be completely fair, the only time I wish I had more power is when I'm training my wheelies. As I have written in my "Wheelie Progression" thread, I think I can't get it up as well cause of the missing HPs. Otherwise, it's plenty for me for now. With that said, of course, I'll still open it up in a year, when I'm allowed to.

Edited by syntarx
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. Always interesting to know how other people do things (good or bad). I often thought that a graduated power level law should be instituted in Canada too, as when I worked for a Honda dealer years ago, we would always get kids (with means) coming in and buying the latest VFR or CBR with little to no experience. A few ended up in hospital and one dead shortly after the purchase. Somehow felt responsible to a small degree as enablers but its a free, unrestricted country, so not illegal. Then after living in NZ for a number of years and seeing the cool small bikes they had there (cc limit, not power limit) thought that would be a good thing as it increases the available choices, but doesn't really reduce the risks much. NZ used insurance as well to enforce the restrictions. Canada is starting to deny claims here too for non-compliance, but since there are few rules...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, syntarx said:

This is only correct to a certain extent here in Switzerland. You have to ride <35kW for two years no matter your age. If you want to start riding there is no way around it (except Military Police, where you can get the big license immediately).

This is new since 2021 IIRC, before that you had to ride two years <35kw only if you were under 25yo, if you were older you could have the "unlimited" license right away. also the limitation was automatically lifter after 2 years. now you have to retake the drving exam.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Thanks for the info. Always interesting to know how other people do things (good or bad). I often thought that a graduated power level law should be instituted in Canada too, as when I worked for a Honda dealer years ago, we would always get kids (with means) coming in and buying the latest VFR or CBR with little to no experience. A few ended up in hospital and one dead shortly after the purchase. Somehow felt responsible to a small degree as enablers but its a free, unrestricted country, so not illegal. Then after living in NZ for a number of years and seeing the cool small bikes they had there (cc limit, not power limit) thought that would be a good thing as it increases the available choices, but doesn't really reduce the risks much. NZ used insurance as well to enforce the restrictions. Canada is starting to deny claims here too for non-compliance, but since there are few rules...

Yeah, I get that. Kids starting with 1000cc bikes is just nuts. To be honest, sometimes I think the law in Switzerland should be even tougher. I started riding a little more than a year ago and was able to get a 700cc (XSR700) with 35kW immediately. Looking back, even that bike was too fast for a complete beginner. On my first trip, I rode through Germany, on the Autobahn. I got to 200km/h (yes, with backwind and a steep decline, but still) with all my luggage and knobbies (Pirelli Rally STR, which I later found out, were rated for 170km/h max. I truly regret that and am so incredibly grateful, that nothing happened.

• Like 2