Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Indicator/Hazards stopped working (solved)

syntarx

Hi there, 

So, I installed my new exhaust two day ago. I needed to lower the position of my indicators for clearance. Thankfully I left enough spare wire, when I installed the tail tidy. After the exhaust installation I checked all the lights and indicators, everything worked. I reattached the all the plastics in the back and tested it again. Left Indicators were still on, I switched them off, wanted to test them again, but nothing happened. I removed all the plastics again to check if I pinched a wire, nothing. I then switched back to my OEM indicators and the OEM flasher relay. Still nothing. The fuse wasnt broken, but I changed it nevertheless. 

This is what I measured:
 D1CBE593-7589-4D81-AD43-E8A8089AA4A1.jpeg.5102aaba5e5f9796339a12c093374b1c.jpeg
Arrow: my bike form top-down-view, suns: indicators, Sicherung: fuse, Relais: relay, Schalter: switch on handlebars. 

Let me know what else I should measure to troubleshoot my issue

Edited by syntarx

Assuming you’re measuring voltage here it looks like you’ve verified battery voltage going into your fuse and battery voltage coming out of your fuse but no voltage going into your relay? The electrical diagram in the manual shows nothing (no components or connectors, just wire) between those two components so if your voltage checks are accurate (I would double check them) you’re looking for a bad wire between the fuse block and relay or an unplugged/faulty connector. Just to confirm, you’ve measured almost zero volts at the relay connector that comes from the fuse block when unplugged? How did you measure 13v coming out of your fuse (what connector/pin)? And are you certain you’re checking the correct fuse?

Edited by Samm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think you got it all right. The fuse seems okay (I changed it nevertheless), no voltage coming from the fuse block at the relay.

Also, I always put the Multimeters black wire to the battery's minus pole (ground). Multimeter settings: DCV 20V

I measured the 7.5A fuse Nr. 8

IMG_2864.jpeg.7eec3e10287c008995265e0a411b5018.jpeg

This is where I measured:

IMG_2863.jpeg.f5e4e4ccd88c6d224212278f78093f71.jpeg

(This is the only pic, of a 7.5A fuse I found, I know that this pic show the other fuse box)

Check fuse #3 “Parking Lights” first. In the manual it shows that fuse as the supply to the flasher relay.

Edited by Samm
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 2:34 PM, Samm said:

Hoooold up. Check fuse #3 “Parking Lights” first. In the manual it shows that fuse as the supply to the flasher relay.

if that sorts it let me know and I’ll delete the rabbit hole I started digging above ☝️.

You're a genius! Obviously it's fuse #3, I only checked all the fuses in the first fuse box. Even my mechanic told me it was fuse #8. I guess I have to learn to read electrical diagrams and sort it out myself next time. Or get back to you. 😉 Thanks a lot.

IMG_2866.jpeg.e6a04e60172c88e1cae3f4191b54ddb8.jpeg

Edited by syntarx

Have you tested the system with a new fuse? Hopefully you just shorted something out temporarily during install and you don’t have a wiring issue.

On 6/10/2024 at 5:25 PM, Samm said:

Have you tested the system with a new fuse? Hopefully you just shorted something out temporarily during install and you don’t have a wiring issue.

Yeah, switched the fuse and took the bike for a spin. No problem so far, but kinda concerned that I couldn't find out what caused the shortage.

Well if it happens again you'll know where to start looking. For now just forget about it and enjoy the ride! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Samm said:

Well if it happens again you'll know where to start looking. For now just forget about it and enjoy the ride! 

Thanks again. You too!

• syntarx changed the title to Indicator/Hazards stopped working (solved)