Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM exhaust is back on

Posted (edited)

My OEM excaust is back on.

Not long ago i ordered the Mivv Storm exhaust for my 2021 Euro 5 T7.

After 150 kilometers with the Storm, my impression is that the engine pulls a little weaker with the Storm

With the OEM exhaust:

- Quicker throttle response

- The T7 pulls remarkably harder

- Quicker, shorter distance to reach top speed

- A bit more jerky/sensitive to throttle position at lower speed. So with the Storm I do not ever get the feeling that the clutch friction zone is a bit narrow (something that sometimes do come to mind with the OEM exhaust), with the Storm this is all smoothed out. I associate this with what i clearly perceive as a result of the less agile throttle response with the Storm.

Man! It was wonderful today to get my original Yamaha exhaust back on! 😃 A thing about the T7 that I really love is its agility, torque and flexibility.

The OEM exhaust is going to stay on my bike! Bravo Yamaha! 👍

But I am happy that I tried. - Now I know.

EDIT: Oh, I should perhaps add that I'm not much of an off-road rider, so no overwhelming danger of destroying the bike by falling on the exhaust for me.

Edited by Chev.
  • Like 1

I found this as a compromise (I don't know the foto's origin) between getting the muffler out of the way and the weight of the OEM. And btw I think it looks nice.

Auspuff_original_höhergelegt.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chev. said:

My OEM excaust is back on.

Not long ago i ordered the Mivv Storm exhaust for my 2021 Euro 5 T7.

After 150 kilometers with the Storm, my impression is that the engine pulls a little weaker with the Storm

With the OEM exhaust:

- Quicker throttle response

- The T7 pulls remarkably harder

- Quicker, shorter distance to reach top speed

- A bit more jerky/sensitive to throttle position at lower speed. So with the Storm I do not ever get the feeling that the Clutch friction zone is a bit narrow (something that sometimes do come to mind with the OEM exhaust), with the Storm this is all smoothed out. I associate this with what i clearly perceive as a result of the less agile throttle response with the Storm.

Man! It was wonderful today to get my original Yamaha exhaust back on! 😃 A thing about the T7 that I really love is its agility, torque and flexibility.

The OEM exhaust is going to stay on my bike! Bravo Yamaha! 👍

But I am happy that I tried. - Now I know.

EDIT: Oh, I should perhaps add that I'm not much of an off-road rider, so no overwhelming danger of destroying the bike by falling on the exhaust for me.

I've heard claims that a free breathing slip-on like the Mivv can be added without messing with fueling. However in my experience on three modern bikes this is true only to the extent that the bike will still run and it probably won't hurt it. However all of them were louder but weaker down low with a freer flowing exhaust until fueling was addressed either with a flash of the ECU or a piggy back controller.   

Modern bikes are carefully tuned and flirt with a very lean mix down low to meet regulations. Any changes to the exhaust or intake almost always throws the OEM tune out the window. Yes, the ECU compensates some, but not enough to make the bikes run right.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You should see how hard it pulls with a full exhaust, ecu flash, 520 conversion (-1.3lbs unsprung mass), larger airbox top, and a 140 tubed tire over a 150 tubeless which saves 7lbs

Edited by Kluthage421

2 hours ago, Kluthage421 said:

You should see how hard it pulls with a full exhaust, ecu flash, 520 conversion (-1.3lbs unsprung mass), larger airbox top, and a 140 tubed tire over a 150 tubeless which saves 7lbs

I believe you! 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OK185 said:

Just go for an Akra. 

👍 I would probably have tried that if it was less costly.

I got my E4 Akra (by far the best looking exhaust for this bike 🥶) for barely more than the Storm.

I really wanted the Akra because they are the only ones actually working with OEM. And it's not loud, but has a really deep and full sound. Just love mine. 

There was another post some time ago with  a Huzar, where the owner noticed the same issue.

Posted (edited)

In fact, I have been quite satisfied with the 7T in its original set-up. But since the Storm slip-on is relatively inexpensive, I decided to give it a try. The oem exhaust, after all, appears a little like a big, black heavy chunk. If nothing else, the Storm lightens the visual impression of the bike (and also shaves off a couple of kilos). And, it's not noisy - important to me.

If I'd feel the need for going full tune-up, I'd probably choose another bike altogether.

I have come to understand the markets' appreciation for this moderate-sized CP2 package, not only the engine, but the total concept that Yamaha has applied (in somewhat different configurations) in different bikes.

Edited by Chev.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OK185 said:

I got my E4 Akra (by far the best looking exhaust for this bike 🥶) for barely more than the Storm.

I really wanted the Akra because they are the only ones actually working with OEM. And it's not loud, but has a really deep and full sound. Just love mine.

Thanks for this note! 👍 Interesting, and good to know. 👍

Highly recommend the Dominator MX2 high mount black with their headers. Looks and sounds awesome.

Highly recommend the Dominator MX2 high mount black with their headers. Looks and sounds awesome.

Thanks! 👍 But my point is that what I am after in the end, more than looks and sound, is the performance in torque, that without large costs or going full tune-up, will  outcompete, or at least equal, that of  the stock exhaust.

Otherwise the oem exhaust will stay on my bike.

Cheers 👍

Alright but you'll get more torque, more HP, lower fan temps, better fueling,  a sick sound, a faster revving engine, and solve the low mount exhaust problem. Tune is only $250. 

Posted (edited)

Alright but you'll get more torque, more HP, lower fan temps, better fueling,  a sick sound, a faster revving engine, and solve the low mount exhaust problem. Tune is only $250. 

Have to ageee - sounds like good points! 👍 Maybe I’ll get there some day, should I ever decide that I’m not any longer satisfied with my stock setup, and that I at the same time wouldn’t want to try going for another bike. 👍

Edited by Chev.
  • Like 1

I am somewhat puzzled that we haven't heard more about the performance changes from all of those people replacing their stock exhausts with slip-ons from Mivv or HP Corse, presumably many of which without any other tune-ups.

Perhaps there in this area is a difference between the Euro 4 and Euro 5 versions? (My 2021 being a Euro 5.)

1 hour ago, Chev. said:

I am somewhat puzzled that we haven't heard more about the performance changes from all of those people replacing their stock exhausts with slip-ons from Mivv or HP Corse, presumably many of which without any other tune-ups.

Perhaps there in this area is a difference between the Euro 4 and Euro 5 versions? (My 2021 being a Euro 5.)

An increase in noise has been known to increase HP across the board  on some butt dynos.  My butt dyno says there is typically a low end loss of power when free flowing exhausts are added to modern bikes without any other mods.  *shrug*

• Like 1

Just fitted an Akro to my Euro 4 T7

Can’t determine any loss of torque or extra power 

In fact it is quieter than the stock exhaust with the baffle in

4 hours ago, JB700 said:

Just fitted an Akro to my Euro 4 T7

Can’t determine any loss of torque or extra power 

In fact it is quieter than the stock exhaust with the baffle in

👍

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2024 at 11:31 AM, Ede-DE said:

I found this as a compromise (I don't know the foto's origin) between getting the muffler out of the way and the weight of the OEM. And btw I think it looks nice.

Auspuff_original_höhergelegt.jpg

I can't quite make out what was done in that picture. Was the stock bracket removed and something else fabricated? And maybe a different mid-pipe?

To me it looks like the bracket has been shortened and altered and there's a custom made mid-pipe.

That black tube that's above the muffler seems to me for keeping the luggage away from the hot exhaust.