Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front Sprocket Seal Leaking

AnimalThrower

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone! I just got back from a day trip to a state forest and noticed some oil on my garage floor. Unmistakable Motul red! I believe my front sprocket shaft seal is leaking. I took the protective cover off and noticed a fair bit of junk had built up behind the cover. Nice/new motorcycles are new to me, oil leaks are not! it's possibly I ran my chain too tight and caused premature wear on the seal, but I'm pretty sure it's been very close to factory spec. The bike only has 3.2k miles on it.

Has anyone had to replace their drive sprocket seal before? Any tips? I did see a form where some guys were talking about using a different nut/lock on the shaft. Anyways, thanks!

20240601_202516.jpg

Edited by AnimalThrower

Not done it on the T7 however its a simple fix on most bikes.

Hardest part is getting the sprocket off.

Plenty youtube to show you what to do. If dont have a seal remal tool just put 2 wood screws into the old seal and pull out with 2 pliers.

Make sure to put tape over the splines when inserting the new seal so not to damage it and a smeak of engine oil as lubrication

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just did mine over the winter. Bad leak which I noticed when parking the bike for the winter. 

Easy job with the right tools. I always use original seals, previously having bad luck with aftermarket ones. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2024 at 3:43 AM, AnimalThrower said:

Hey everyone! I just got back from a day trip to a state forest and noticed some oil on my garage floor. Unmistakable Motul red! I believe my front sprocket shaft seal is leaking. I took the protective cover off and noticed a fair bit of junk had built up behind the cover. Nice/new motorcycles are new to me, oil leaks are not! it's possibly I ran my chain too tight and caused premature wear on the seal, but I'm pretty sure it's been very close to factory spec. The bike only has 3.2k miles on it.

Has anyone had to replace their drive sprocket seal before? Any tips? I did see a form where some guys were talking about using a different nut/lock on the shaft. Anyways, thanks!

On the second page of this thread I explain how I managed to fix my own mess-up 👍:

Edited by Chev.