Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain tightening

leclerq

Question

Disclaimer: this is my first bike with a chain. I ride like a grandpa, and mostly tarmac.

I just came back from a long-ish trip, ~2500kms, and I now have close to the first 10k on my `23 T7. I've measured my chain slack using the guidance of the manual multiple times. Judging by what the manual says, I've never had to tighten the chain once during the 10k. Is this considered normal? When do you normally tighten it?

5 answers to this question

You measured it and it measures good, so you are good.

Loose is better than tight (within reason).

Normal.... everybody has different opinions, but I say it sounds normal for your riding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Especially you treat it correctly (oiled)

• Like 2

Mine is rarely being lubed but always kept clean. I only noticed the chain getting significantly longer during the first 300-400 km.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the insights!
Regarding oiling: I’m using an OSCO oiler, at first every 400 km but that was too much (oil buildup at the carter, thought I had an oil leak haha), so now every 600 km. I’m glad it’s still good after >9k.

Whats the lifespan of a stock chain like?

15 minutes ago, leclerq said:

Thanks for the insights!
Regarding oiling: I’m using an OSCO oiler, at first every 400 km but that was too much (oil buildup at the carter, thought I had an oil leak haha), so now every 600 km. I’m glad it’s still good after >9k.

Whats the lifespan of a stock chain like?

I got about 34k km out of my stock. Like @Tenerider I didn't really lube it and only had some initial stretching. As the chain starts to fail it might stretch out more, maybe the last 2-3k km. If you're having to adjust it frequently in between, you might be overtightening it.

• Thanks 2

advgoats.com