Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Headlight Connector Issues

JAFAR

Hi there, 

Have an issue with my headlights; they are stuck on high beam and doesn’t change with the high low beam buttons. I have checked the switch and they are good so think the issue is with the head light connector to the loom. Looking for the headlight side connector, sharing pictures as well. Any idea where can I get one?

any help would be appreciated thanks. 

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Google Sumitomo HM 090 6 pin connector

Edited by gnortz

Posted (edited)

If there are no obvious damaged connectors I can’t see the plug being faulty. Squirt electrolube/ contact cleaner/ contact oil in the connectors first and let it do its job. Same with the handlebar switchgear. No need to strip it. Just use the gap. My best guess is still the bar switch gear. I lost the high flasher for a while, just needed a clean and lube after I mistakenly got a bit eager with a power wash. Same with road salt on other connectors around the bike. 

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dougie said:

If there are no obvious damaged connectors I can’t see the plug being faulty. Squirt electrolube/ contact cleaner/ contact oil in the connectors first and let it do its job. Same with the handlebar switchgear. No need to strip it. Just use the gap. My best guess is still the bar switch gear. I lost the high flasher for a while, just needed a clean and lube after I mistakenly got a bit eager with a power wash. Same with road salt on other connectors around the bike. 

I have already used the same headlight with connector on my friend’s T-7, same results so the bar switch gear isn’t the problem here. 

1 hour ago, gnortz said:

Google Sumitomo HM 090 6 pin connector

Thanks mate will look into that and try it. 

27 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Will try to clean the connectors let’s see what happens. Thanks for the advise. 

I agree that the problem is likely the headlight since you swapped it out and it has the same problem, but you might still want to take a closer look  at the inputs to the headlight to see if there's a root cause. It's definitely odd for the headlight controller to fail.

Did you test voltages from the bar? The brown wire should provide a constant 12-14V and the yellow wire should be the same voltage with at low beam while the bike is running. The yellow wire voltage should drop to somewhere around 2V when you turn the high beams on.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

On 5/25/2024 at 7:10 PM, random1781 said:

I agree that the problem is likely the headlight since you swapped it out and it has the same problem, but you might still want to take a closer look  at the inputs to the headlight to see if there's a root cause. It's definitely odd for the headlight controller to fail.

Did you test voltages from the bar? The brown wire should provide a constant 12-14V and the yellow wire should be the same voltage with at low beam while the bike is running. The yellow wire voltage should drop to somewhere around 2V when you turn the high beams on.

yeah i agree it is odd, we dont have the voltmeter but its definitely the either inside the healight or the connector, i have ordered the connectors will replace the OEM connectors with new ones if i still get the same results then it must be inside the headlight controller which means i will have to buy a whole new headlight or turn off the high beam manually  (by disconnecting the high beams) so the bike runs in low beam only all the time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAFAR said:

yeah i agree it is odd, we dont have the voltmeter but its definitely the either inside the healight or the connector, i have ordered the connectors will replace the OEM connectors with new ones if i still get the same results then it must be inside the headlight controller which means i will have to buy a whole new headlight or turn off the high beam manually  (by disconnecting the high beams) so the bike runs in low beam only all the time. 

I hope the connector fixes it! Seems like there have been a lot of headlight issues recently.

The high beam turns on at low voltage, so I don't think you can disconnect anything to stop the high beam. The yellow wire on the headlight needs to get ~12V in order to turn the high beam off. You might be better off with some duck tape over the high beam lights!

• Like 1

advgoats.com