Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bent rim... where to get a replacement?

roygilbo

Hi all, I bent my front rim in two places.  My mechanic can delace and relace the spokes and reuse the inner parts, but I have to get a rim.  My '21 has a 21" 1.85 rim and is black.

Any suggestions? 

I have been directed to Buchanan Wheel in California and they make their own SunRims and will drill the spoke holes as per manufacturers specs.

Cost for black is $355USD plus shipping.

I am located in Victoria BC so something Canadian would be preferable, but will order from anywhere.

OR does someone have a stock front wheel that is in good shape and kicking around that they would like to sell?  Would have to be black.

Thanks in advance.

Dubya in the US and off-the-road.de in Germany sell complete wheels, hubs, or spokes/rims for OEM or Haan hubs. I wound up using OTR because they were actually cheaper even with shipping at the time. Their website prices include VAT until you update your shipping location. My Excel 1.85 is pretty scuffed up but pretty straight all things considered.

advgoats.com

Posted (edited)

I would lace an SM pro or Excel rim on instead. If can afford it add stainless spokes instead of the stock ones

@Camel ADV would you know where in canadan be best place buy a rim for Roy here?

Edited by john_aero

• Supporting Vendor

Rims are pretty standardized... they are generally "Jap" or "Euro" lace pattern (I'm sure there are more but these two are the most common ones). That means you can go to almost any bike shop that has Parts Canada, Kimpex, Fullbore, etc catalogs and order a Japanese dirtbike wheel, and it will lace up to the hub you have with the spokes you have. None of the dirt bikes will have a 1.85" wide, they will all be 1.6" but they are much stronger and cheaper than the 1.85". The holes will likely have to be reamed to accept the slightly larger T7 spoke nipples.

If you really want to stick with 1.85", I'm not aware of anyone in Canada who will have stock; they'll just order from Dubya, Buchanan, Woody's, etc., and then mark it up to sell to you. 

Interesting fact, not all Euro bikes use the Euro spoke pattern. The KTM 790/890 uses a Euro front and Jap rear, but their Jap rear puts the spokes at slightly different angles than the usual Jap pattern. The Chinese-made Kove 450 Rally uses Euro pattern instead Jap.

I have two complete sets of wheels. One set was sourced from Dubya (F&R) and the other from spare parts (F & OEM rear). The spare pair is made of a front wheel hoop from a random Kijiji/FB MarketPlace early 2000's Suzuki dirt bike. It was straight and I paid $25 for it. I've been running it for a year, and it's held up far better than the OEM 1.85". Older Japanese dirt bike wheels are a dime a dozen. Anything from 2000 to the present should work for you. They are almost always silver, though, so if you want to go that route, you might want to get it powder-coated before lacing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

@Camel ADV

Wow, what a wealth of knowledge. This is why I read bike forums!

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~