Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Switch from KTM 890R to T700...

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SXXP said:

Interesting!  Is it a loose fit along the length of the sliders or a compression fit?  If compression, where does all the material "go" on full compression?

It kind of "folds" like an accordion - it reaches from the lower cast aluminium part up beyond the seals and sits firmly on the upper:

Screenshot_20240606_175527_Gallery.jpg.a78d841860ed58513592a87362c5648b.jpg

On compression, it gets some wrinkles, and I don't think it negatively affects suspension performance. The point is it not only keeps your lowers in pristine condition, it also protects the oil seals, so they'll be always smooth and won't leak. Especially helpful in the Winter, when mud can build up and freeze at the lowers. Upon compression, this is said to destroy the seals easily.

Edited by Tenerider

34 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

It kind of "folds" like an accordion - it reaches from the lower cast aluminium part up beyond the seals and sits firmly on the upper:

Screenshot_20240606_175527_Gallery.jpg.a78d841860ed58513592a87362c5648b.jpg

On compression, it gets some wrinkles, and I don't think it negatively affects suspension performance. The point is it not only keeps your lowers in pristine condition, it also protects the oil seals, so they'll be always smooth and won't leak. Especially helpful in the Winter, when mud can build up and freeze at the lowers. Upon compression, this is said to destroy the seals easily.

Thanks for the info.  I like that.  Do you have link on where to purchase them.

Sorry all for derailing this thread....should have taken it to PMs.

Those full length fork leg covers definitely work.

I tried some kriega ones this time that don't require dismantling and just wrap around. Still protect the seals and amazingly a 10 year warranty 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://kriega.com/accessories-1/fork-seal-covers&ved=2ahUKEwiDlvj6u8eGAxXRVUEAHSQ-NcYQFnoECCIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0IgcdXlSlpNNKssF8Fyz8r

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SXXP said:

Thanks for the info.  I like that.  Do you have link on where to purchase them.

Sorry all for derailing this thread....should have taken it to PMs.

SealSavers and Tusk make similar products and might be cheaper in the US. The fork guard can rub and wear a hole through them.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

On 6/6/2024 at 11:38 AM, Tenerider said:

Yes, well spotted! Simple Acerbis neoprene socks. For installation, you need to remove the fork legs from the triple clamp.

My lower legs (chrome part) look like new.

I had some on my 890, it's help a lot to keep the fork seal clean and also avoid rock chips on the forks tubes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 8:55 AM, Stou said:

Thanks Tenerider! Here's what I think and the reason behind my question. Like I wrote, I'm a ADV instructor with a background of motocross and enduro racing. I owned before my 890R a R1200GS , a KTM 990R, a R800GS, an Africa Twin, and a 790S. And a lot of motocross, enduro and street bike before that.

I love the 890R. It's a high performance and high tech bike that can do anything and it's a very fun bike. The only problem is the reliability. There are several known issues and some are really expensive to fix. I guess that come with the high performance and high tech that bike have. I do all the mechanic and maintenance work myself. But right now I just wonder if I keep the bike and do rigorou$ maintenance regularly to avoid breakdowns on the road and more damage to the engine, or simply sell it and buy a T700 which it look like a very reliable bike but with less performance and thechnology.  Will I miss the excitement and performance of the 890? There's a Yamaha demo ride next Saturday And I'm registered for the T700.

Im glad I re-read this post because I couldn't remember why you wanted to switch.  I've long wondered about the 890R while I've been loving my T7.  I have a 390 Adventure too so I'm familiar with the KTM feel and like it (mostly) 

I finally rode an 890R this weekend and have mixed feelings about it.  I knew it would be more powerful than my T7 but I was surprised on how much more.  It hits hard and fast which it fun but maybe not so good of-road.  But wow, so much fun.  The rider traingle is both good and bad for me.  Seat to handlebars was better than the T7.  Seat to pegs was much worse.  Very cramped feeling. Wind protection was non-existant in stock form. Throttle ride-by-wire was snatchy and annoying.  I thought it felt very light and small (which I like) compared to my T7 but I didn't ride them back to back.   Suspension felt superior to the stock T7 by far but equal to my Ktech carts and shock.  But... the price tag and reliability are still the two big elephants in the room.  I do wonder if the reliability is really as big of an issue as the internet suggests or if its just something people like to blow out of proportion.  I dont know but your post here does help.

• Like 2

DT675, I also found the 890 to low on the seat to peg. I bought the rally seat and it was better. The wind protection is very bad and for me the suspension was to hard. I replaced spring front and rear. But the T7 is more comfortable. The 890 is a fun bike with lot of power and tech stuff. But I must tell you that the T7 is a really nice reliable and fun to ride bike and that’s what I’m looking for now!

• Like 2

Also if you want to know more about KTM 790/890 camshafts problems, check the Facebook page "KTM Failed Camshafts - 790/890 & 901".

image.png.64e84600383189bc4cc9a2d1a4ebd3f8.png

• Sad 1

Yeah I dont think I'll be switching anytime soon especially now that my suspensions sorted. 

That cam lobe has quite the groove in it!! I would normally associate that with an oil issue.  Has that been eliminated?  Its got to be oil, improperly hardened steel or possibly a valve spring mis match I imagine. 

On 6/16/2024 at 9:38 PM, DT675 said:

Yeah I dont think I'll be switching anytime soon especially now that my suspensions sorted. 

That cam lobe has quite the groove in it!! I would normally associate that with an oil issue.  Has that been eliminated?  Its got to be oil, improperly hardened steel or possibly a valve spring mis match I imagine. 

There's so many assumptions on the FB page. The last thing I read about it is that KTM have a new head, new followers and an additional screen somewhere. But I'm not sure if it's true. Mine was not that bad but at only 16k km it was starting to wear.

Interesting, I recently talked to a guy that had a Duke 890 and at around 10k km says he had excessive cam wear as well and traded it in...