Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Switch from KTM 890R to T700...

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CoreCass said:

well.. i modded mine a bit. cat 2 tune on it..  and ill bet you it pulls even in 6th. [not fuel friendly tough]  of cours its not a sports bike but a lot of people are supriced by it.

different snorkel [larger] different headers. no reusing fuel fumes.  and the flash does wonders.  next what i need to upgrade are the clutch springs as i feel that the clutch somtimes slips wen giving it a lot of throtle.

seems like most power is not deliverd.   it already has a more agressive clutch plate set.  how ever i thought the standart springs would be enoch.

enoch rambling..    far to much to just say the following:  if tickled right. she is just as or even more playfull as the ktm stock.

My T700 has an after market exhaust, derestricted intake and the ECU flashed. It's much more peppy than stock. No where remotely close to the peak HP of my KTM with just piggyback tuner and cat delete.   There are plenty of things I like about the T700 better  though.

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Windblown said:

My T700 has an after market exhaust, derestricted intake and the ECU flashed. It's much more peppy than stock. No where remotely close to the peak HP of my KTM with just piggyback tuner and cat delete.   There are plenty of things I like about the T700 better  though.

Same as mine, I think the intake and flash have the biggest effect. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stou said:

I completely agree with you. The bike is so much fun to ride but you never know when it will fail. That's why I'm looking at the T7. I didn't had any problem with my 890 yet, but when I see every cam problem, it's not the question of if it will happen but when it will happen.

If I planned to change bikes every three years I'd have an 890 first then a desert x, but as we've said before the t7 is the best bet as a keeper....that being said I am "putting up" with the power  compared to my old 990, t7 also doesn't have that lazy long legged v twin feel when cruising either imo, but the 890 probably doesn't either 

16 hours ago, CoreCass said:

dont know what version you want to go for. but if you go stock.. i would look at a good rear spring. front is pritty ok. tough i changed both.

Here in Canada we only have the base version. But i’m not a big guy, only 150 lbs. On my 890 I needed lighter springs. So maybe the T7 will be ok for me

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Stou said:

Here in Canada we only have the base version. But i’m not a big guy, only 150 lbs. On my 890 I needed lighter springs. So maybe the T7 will be ok for me

You might get away with the oem spring, but if not, the fix is an easy $100 spring upgrade which makes a big difference in handling and ride. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

3 minutes ago, AZJW said:

You might get away with the oem spring, but if not, the fix is an easy $100 spring upgrade which makes a big difference in handling and ride. 

Agree - and with a K-Tech valve upgrade the stock front suspension should be great, too. Probably the best bang for the buck in terms of fork upgrade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Agree - and with a K-Tech valve upgrade the stock front suspension should be great, too. Probably the best bang for the buck in terms of fork upgrade.

Does the K-Tech upgrade also give you extra travel?

24 minutes ago, SXXP said:

Does the K-Tech upgrade also give you extra travel?

No, it's just a new valve assembly. The cheapest solution with more travel are Andreani cartridges, as far as I know:

No idea how good they are.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good to hear and as you said, power ratings don't tell the whole story.  I miss my 145hp FJR on long road trips ( don't take many anymore) and when a hooligan moment surfaces. Other than that, the T7 works so well it makes me forget about having half the hp of my former road only bike. I was trashing it anyway taking it on gravel roads which is where the T7 shines.

As far as your questions about fragile side panels and protecting the suspension links, Camel-ADV has you covered. Your neighbor to the west in Calgary makes quality protection parts and replacement side panels if you want to be proactive and protect those parts.  Cory is one of the forums most active vendors and his stuff is absolutely bulletproof. 

Congrats on your decision,  you're in good company. 

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The CamelADV skid plate (i.e. Gut Gaurd) includes protection for the shock linkage. 

• Like 3

Congrats on your decision!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AZJW said:

As far as your questions about fragile side panels and protecting the suspension links, Camel-ADV has you covered. Your neighbor to the west in Calgary makes quality protection parts and replacement side panels if you want to be proactive and protect those parts.  Cory is one of the forums most active vendors and his stuff is absolutely bulletproof. 

Congrats on your decision,  you're in good company. 

Ok I’ll check Camel ADV, I know them I have some parts on my 890. Thanks!

If I had to pick one vendor to kit my bike out would for sure be camel adv 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 3:49 PM, sunndog said:

If I had to pick one vendor to kit my bike out would for sure be camel adv 

Yes they have good parts. I have the one finger clutch and the neck brace on my 890R.  I will order some parts for the T7.

I will pick my new T7 Thursday! 😃

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stou said:

Here it is, my new T700 2024!

It has already Yamaha skidplate, crash bars, headlight protector and Barlbuster handguards.

IMG_8192.JPEG.126ff69e81faea3ce5133ea5c366a913.JPEG

Congrats Stou!

4 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Congrats Stou!

Thanks!

Nice bike, 

On 5/31/2024 at 1:20 AM, Stou said:

Here it is, my new T700 2024!

It has already Yamaha skidplate, crash bars, headlight protector and Barlbuster handguards.

IMG_8192.JPEG.126ff69e81faea3ce5133ea5c366a913.JPEG

Is that the low seat?

If you can handle the height I would 100% recommend getting the OEM rally seat. Makes this bike 10x better to ride in my opinon, and looks more proportional. 

This is the stock seat. I had a rally seat on my 890R and yes it make the bike feel more like a motocross position. Easier to control.

I’ll see if i go with one on the T7. You have picture of your bike with rally seat?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stou said:

This is the stock seat. I had a rally seat on my 890R and yes it make the bike feel more like a motocross position. Easier to control.

I’ll see if i go with one on the T7. You have picture of your bike with rally seat?

20231213_202853.jpg.507a684e75fcd261bbd7a5d46b75a596.jpg

I bet more than 50% here have this seat as well.

Here's a different view:

20231227_150847.jpg.5f0b52adb0c274aae4956c7612bde6df.jpg

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

The T7 just looks so much better with this seat 😁

And it puts the handlebars more below you, so you have better control while sitting. You can ride offroad sat down much better with it, and it's easier to stand up.

With the stock seat I felt like I almost had to reach up to the handlebars when sitting like a touring bike. 

Sorry I don't want to turn this into another seat thread 🫠

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tenerider said:

20231213_202853.jpg.507a684e75fcd261bbd7a5d46b75a596.jpg

I bet more than 50% here have this seat as well.

Here's a different view:

20231227_150847.jpg.5f0b52adb0c274aae4956c7612bde6df.jpg

Do you have a full length sleeve on the fork chrome sliders?

17 minutes ago, SXXP said:

Do you have a full length sleeve on the fork chrome sliders?

Yes, well spotted! Simple Acerbis neoprene socks. For installation, you need to remove the fork legs from the triple clamp.

My lower legs (chrome part) look like new.

9 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Yes, well spotted! Simple Acerbis neoprene socks. For installation, you need to remove the fork legs from the triple clamp.

My lower legs (chrome part) look like new.

Interesting!  Is it a loose fit along the length of the sliders or a compression fit?  If compression, where does all the material "go" on full compression?