Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wiring Garmin Zumo XT

cgrahams

Hi folks!  

I just picked up a used '21 T7 and am just in the process of getting it ready for a big trip.  I installed the camel adv anti-bobblehead and motopumps GPS mount to use with my Garmin XT. 

I've never hard wired anything on a bike before and the bike already has accessory lights and heated grips installed.  I pulled off the left panel and just wanted to confirm that the connector I'm looking at is indeed the factory accessory plug.  I've included a pic. So is this what I should connect into?  If so, how does it work? Sorry, lots of mechanical experience with bolt-on type stuff etc but am total newbie for wiring.

Is this the best route in the first place or should I just be going straight to the battery? 

Thanks a bunch!PXL_20240514_165602989.jpg.d60b029d3e0ea57df467b87e527e7efc.jpg

Or is it this white connector?

17157088170531332664468243554186.jpg

4 minutes ago, cgrahams said:

Or is it this white connector?

17157088170531332664468243554186.jpg

I have my zumo xt on this 2-pin white connector. It works fine.

• Like 1

I have all the same equipment. You have three options as I see it: 

1. Straight to the battery. Simple, but won't turn off when you turn off the bike. This can be problematic if left to drain the battery.

2. Use the Yamaha connections under the fairing as you have shown. Simple. I believe that I used the first one in your photos. I attached the correct connector to the Garmin wire (but leave box on the wire).

3. Buy a relay and connect it to the battery and the Garmin. Less simple. I like the products from Eastern Beaver and he ships to Canada. Has connectors too. Google search warning! 🙂

29 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

I have my zumo xt on this 2-pin white connector. It works fine.

Thanks!  Looks like I need to order a male end.  Wasn't sure if maybe I could do it without ordering anything 😂 

27 minutes ago, Fzrcraig said:

I have all the same equipment. You have three options as I see it: 

1. Straight to the battery. Simple, but won't turn off when you turn off the bike. This can be problematic if left to drain the battery.

2. Use the Yamaha connections under the fairing as you have shown. Simple. I believe that I used the first one in your photos. I attached the correct connector to the Garmin wire (but leave box on the wire).

3. Buy a relay and connect it to the battery and the Garmin. Less simple. I like the products from Eastern Beaver and he ships to Canada. Has connectors too. Google search warning! 🙂

Thanks a lot!  Good point about the possibility of draining the battery.  Guess I'll order the male connector and go with option 2.  Good to know about Eastern Beaver for future reference 👍

Nav in the 2 pin that’s what I did with my Zumo

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cgrahams said:

Thanks a lot!  Good point about the possibility of draining the battery.  Guess I'll order the male connector and go with option 2.  Good to know about Eastern Beaver for future reference 👍

And here comes the male connector... but that's a female 😆

Perfect on my T7 for the USB plug

Edited by Ede-DE