Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Review: Testdrive BMW F 900 GS, Model 2024

ffasy

Posted (edited)

Hello fellow Teneresti,

this morning I had the chance to test-drive the new 24' BMW F 900 GS. Price as tested would be around 16.200,- Euro.

The bike was equipped with Metzeler Karoo 4, dynamic package, cruise control etc. 

First impression was very good, when I first saw it a while back I really liked the styling and riding position. 

GSfront.JPEG.35a595fd95cf35528138e65fad42dd7e.JPEG

I took the bike for about 150 km and 2 hours around Frankfurt to Aschaffenburg and back. Riding on the Autobahn was decent, I really liked the cruise control and position behind the screen. Upwards 140 km/h / 90mph the front starts to shake, at 160 km/h / 100 mph it gets dangerous. I think this is due to the tires. I never had this issue with the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR. Keep in mind the BMW has a added steering damper.

After a short stage on the Autobahn I headed to twisted country and forest roads. At first the BMW felt like a stronger Tenere, therefore the better bike, I will come back to this statement at the end 😉

The engine is noticeable stronger but also very bad sounding and unpleasantly vibrating. When stuck behind a car or truck with 50 to 70 km/h, the consistent engine noise gets annoying. Without load on the engine, the exhaust note becomes unnoticeable. Under load and with the quickshifter hammering it is almost ok and enjoyable.

As excepted cornering and driving around town ist no problem for a modern bike. On asphalt the tires are almost on par with the Pirelli, DTC was only intervening when I was pulling hard out of a corner. I couldnt notice it but saw the light on the dashboard. Brakes are very good, I almost crashed when I used the rearbrake, which in contrast to the Tenere, bites and showed how bad the standard Tenere brake is.

I took a short stage on a unpaved and steep backroad and over a field. The tires worked far better than the Pirelli, as expected. The bike was very stable and the throttle control was very good. Overall the bike felt stronger and more stable but since I never used the Karoo 4 on the Tenere, a direct comparison is not possible. Light offroaduse and gravel should be no problem. The standard BMW is about 15kg heavier but the center of mass feels lower.

Riding position is comparable to a standard Tenere with a higher bench. Im about 183 cm / 6ft tall and the position suited me. The bench is as good or bad as the Tenere bench while beeing a bit wider. Standing and driving is very good, the wide tank is a good point for hugging with your legs. 

For the pros and cons I will refer to specific points, since a modern BMW bike will do many things as expected.

Pros:

- engine is strong and usable

- Feels like a slightly bigger Tenere with more punch

- transmission and quickshifter are nice to use

- cruise control is nice to use and very convenient

- good looking

- nice and modern dashboard

Cons:

- engine sound is very bad 

- engine is unpleasantly vibrating

- expensive, on the other hand overall better quality than Yamaha

I conclusion BMW has build a very nice bike but Yamaha did it better. When chatting to the salesperson I could almost think about changing the bike.

It only took 5 meters on my Tenere to take back this decision. It rides better, it is nimbler, feels more stable and firmer, engine sound far better, it feels better and with all the small mods the driving position is also better while spending under 15k Euro. Sorry BMW, but Im still willing to take a free R18 🙂

GSrear.JPEG.de3c45262cff190147f8c68ff874312e.JPEG

I hope you enjoyed my short review, since English is my second language please forgive any grammatical errors.

Feel free to ask additional questions regarding my experience.

Edited by ffasy
grammar
  • Like 8

Nice review... Thank You!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I’ve watched a few reviews on it, looks a nice bike.

Would consider one myself if I wasn’t so far down the rabbit hole with the T7 🙂

Motor vibrates, I'm out. Rode an early 1000RR . Couldn't believe how much it vibrated.

• Like 1

Have been riding with a friend for a week who was on F900R.  Same engine.

He loved the engine - @ffasy same conclusion as you.  He did not comment on the vibration.

5 hours ago, mcbrien said:

Motor vibrates, I'm out. Rode an early 1000RR . Couldn't believe how much it vibrated.

Agree - vibrations might be tolerable on shorter rides, and you might not even realise them on a test ride when there are so much new things to consider, but they'll take the fun out of longer rides definitely. A no-go for a touring bike imho. Thanks for pointing @ffasy , and thanks for the whole review!

• Thanks 1