Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front Fork Sound

Revy

Hi everyone,

I have been ignoring this for quite some time but now I've decided to get some answers to this before things go too far if this is in fact not normal. My front forks make a "sucking" sound when rebounding. Attaching a youtube link. Note: this is not my video or my bike but the sound and question is the same.
My bike has been making this sound since brand new. Anything to be concerned over? Any way to remedy it? Or should I just continue ignoring it?

Are the bleeder screws on the top of the forks open?

Check fork oil level

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

That's not normal. At first I thought the cartridge holder bolt on the lowers might be leaking, some forks suck in air that way.

But it should be some gurgling noise rather I guess.

Bleeder screws might be loose (as @mcbrien suspected), or the fork caps might not be tightened down completely, or the seals aren't doing their job - and I guess there'd be some oil leaking in this case.

I have the same sucking sound , i think its normal, sound of pushing oil through tiny holes/valves. I have forkbleeders on top, letting air out regulary. Had the same noise on my ktm 950 adv.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

I have the same sucking sound , i think its normal, sound of pushing oil through tiny holes/valves. I have forkbleeders on top, letting air out regulary. Had the same noise on my ktm 950 adv.

To be honest, I can't remember if my OEM cartridges made that kind of sound as well, good point.

I changed my tires this week and before tightning the front axle, i push in the front forks quit hard. Then i hear this sucking sound. With riding i dont hear it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same noise when I push the fork down 🙂 I think it is normal

Im glad other peoples forks make this same noise, I noticed mine did a while ago and was ignoring it. It happens on very fast rebound strokes and thought maybe Id knackered something when changing the fork oil one time.

• 2 months later...

I just changed the rebound and compression for my weight and now this is happening but glad its happened to others, any issues since its started?