Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crank Case Cover Replacement

Invicta084

Hey all,

I had a small spill on a Rocky trail. I got a nice little dent on the left had crank case cover. I did not think much of it at the time, but after a few days of sitting in the garage there is a very very small oil leak coming from the dent. Pretty sure there is a hairline crack. I think I need to replace it. Anyone have any videos on how to replace the piece. Is it a difficult job? Does it require special tools? I assume an oil change will be part of this processb which is no problem. I have the replacement part number which is 1WS-15411-00-00, do I need to replace the gasket as well? Part number 1WS-15451-00-00.

PXL_20240428_231057463_MP.jpg.e3350dd9d69e7ca989c33db7971b9a70.jpg

• Moderators

JB weld would be a good temporary fix, but to answer your specific questions, yes, I certainly would replace the gasket, or at the very least have a new one on hand in case yours looks less than perfect. It shouldn't be too tough of a job, but you'll need to drain the oil first. Torque wrench & torx bits should be all that's required. 

Here's a link to the Service Manual, refer to pg. 5-33 for details. 

• Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I would definitely get a new gasket.  I doubt you will be able to save the old one.

The Stator is mounted to the inside of the cover.  Trace the stator wires and get as much slack as possible before you remove the cover.  You should be able to pull cover, flip it over, remove the bolts holding the stator to the old cover and then install on your new cover.

If the electrical connections are close to the cover it will be easier to disconnect the stator and do the work on the bench, but it won't be hard to do it while connected if needed.

A little Black RTV  on the black rubber where the wire leaves the case to get a good seal.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Invicta084 said:

Hey all,

I had a small spill on a Rocky trail. I got a nice little dent on the left had crank case cover. I did not think much of it at the time, but after a few days of sitting in the garage there is a very very small oil leak coming from the dent. Pretty sure there is a hairline crack. I think I need to replace it. Anyone have any videos on how to replace the piece. Is it a difficult job? Does it require special tools? I assume an oil change will be part of this processb which is no problem. I have the replacement part number which is 1WS-15411-00-00, do I need to replace the gasket as well? Part number 1WS-15451-00-00.

PXL_20240428_231057463_MP.jpg.e3350dd9d69e7ca989c33db7971b9a70.jpg

Sorry to hear of your damaged cover, and hopefully replacement will be without issues.

It was because of similar damage to my R1200GS Adv's valve cover from a pointy rock years ago that I installed case covers on my T7. Mine are from Triple Clamp Moto, and I know there are other offerings as well. I figured these can make the difference between riding out of the woods and having a hole in an engine case, and fortunately mine haven't been tested yet.

Tripleclamp Moto has designed HDPE clutch and stator covers to protect your bike from the elements of adventure (and crashing). As a cost-effective solution to avoiding mishaps on the trail or road, or to refresh scraped and...

20210710_160725.jpg.ac0337cc4d907be94a2455e261a5b449.jpg20210710_160708.jpg.fe98b12e81bf8a41750e90a7bb7b3a33.jpg 

Edited by jdub53

Loctite 5900 in GB/ Ireland, if you don’t want to use a genuine gasket. It’s for doing crank cases etc. No leaks. I’d just use a genuine gasket in this case though. 
it should be an easy job. No serious tools. 

Hi @jdub53 I did end up ordering the GB racing cover set after the crash, I will be installing those after I get the new cover on!

@williestreet thanks for the tip on the electric connection, at first glance I did not notice the connection coming from the case.

Anyone have any suggestion for online part retailers based in Canada? I will call my local dealer tomorrow, but I have been less than impressed with their service and parts department in the past.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

FFD35543-1BF7-499C-BA8A-E939A125E597.jpeg.88e7788f6149ac1f302b1c492c7fb27d.jpeg

It’s all Yamaha parts so a dealer is probably your only option. If you don’t like yours try the next closest. The stator magnets are strong. I did this exact thing years ago and remember it taking some oomph to get that cover off because of the magnets. Pull it off nice and straight but expect some resistance. There is also a bearing in that cover. If you have a blind bearing puller you can remove the old one and put it in the new one but I just ordered a new bearing with the cover and gasket and had the dealer press it in for me to not risk cracking the case. Good luck! 

Edited by Samm
  • Thanks 1

Alternatively, if you’re scrapping the old cover you could cut some relief lines from multiple directions with a hacksaw and free the old bearing without putting any stress on it. Just depends how “DIY” you want to go…

Parts are ordered, and of course they are all on back order for the next month 😕. I did find a friend who can press the new bearing into the cover for me, which should make the rest fairly simple. I will report back in July when I get this all wrapped up! Hopefully the JB Weld will hold on until then. It will be streets and easy trails until then. Thanks again to all for the help!

• Like 1

Another option is find a local aluminum welder, and get him to 'glue' it up. Did that a couple of time on various bikes in my past, and they are still running to this day as far as I know. Even had the main kickstarter boss busted off an old Yz400F (without decompressor cam!!) where the kickback broke the case, and had it welded up, and it was as good as new!

I think I have Yamaha disease...

3 hours ago, Invicta084 said:

Parts are ordered, and of course they are all on back order for the next month 😕. I did find a friend who can press the new bearing into the cover for me, which should make the rest fairly simple. I will report back in July when I get this all wrapped up! Hopefully the JB Weld will hold on until then. It will be streets and easy trails until then. Thanks again to all for the help!

JB will hold up just fine, could be left permanant as well.  Partszilla has the best prices on OEM parts I've seen as of late.  You may want to invest in a protective cover.   Acerbis has a set to cover both sides ~$70.

20230327_132902.jpg.ca3c65c7192e62c3e5142f44b4f08aae.jpg

2006 R1,  2018 XR650L, 2022 T7, 2023 Desert X, 2024 WR450F, 2025 V2 final edition

11 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

JB will hold up just fine, could be left permanant as well.  Partszilla has the best prices on OEM parts I've seen as of late.  You may want to invest in a protective cover.   Acerbis has a set to cover both sides ~$70.

20230327_132902.jpg.ca3c65c7192e62c3e5142f44b4f08aae.jpg

@Toymaster I did end up ordering the GB Racing cover set. Do you have any experience with those ones vs the Acerbis ones? Unfortunately Partzilla is US and the exchange rate + potential duty to Canada makes it more expensive.

6 minutes ago, Invicta084 said:

@Toymaster I did end up ordering the GB Racing cover set. Do you have any experience with those ones vs the Acerbis ones? Unfortunately Partzilla is US and the exchange rate + potential duty to Canada makes it more expensive.

Haven't used the GB, went with Acerbis because of reviews on here at the time. I'm sure the GB will do the same thing. 

2006 R1,  2018 XR650L, 2022 T7, 2023 Desert X, 2024 WR450F, 2025 V2 final edition

GB racing covers are spot on mate

• Like 1