Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Replacing all brake lines

Just Footerin

Question

Has anyone replaced all the hoses on their bike with braided stainless, HEL or similar? 

What approach did you take to the job to make bleeding easier ?

Tips welcome 🙂

13 answers to this question

I ordered a kit for this and plan to do the install within the next few days.  Are you keeping your ABS front and back?  Both rotors in the front?

I haven’t replaced my lines on the T7 but when I’m filling mtb or motor bike lines I use a big syringe and fill from the caliper bleed nipple.

@Ethos  yes just replacing the hoses and leaving everything else as it is.  I'll probably make a start some day next week. I was looking at these vacuum bottles to suck the fluid through the system. I might have a go with one, they're not expensive.

• Like 1

This video does an excellent job walking through all the lines.

And this video shows bleeding the brakes without specialty tools.

@Ethos  I got a day free to do the brake lines. Easy enough to fit, the most difficult one being the one under the airbox, but there's just enough room if you unbolt the airbox and lift out the battery.

I'm looking for some rubber hose now to use as grommets. The Hel brakeline is only 7mm OD so it doesn't fit tight in the original cable clips, they are too loose, a bit of tubing round it will do I think. Hel put a few plastic grommets on the lines, but maybe not enough.

They were easy enough to bleed in the end by the old fashioned way. I tried a handheld vacuum pump kit but it was just a flaf, no use at all, but the bits of clear hose and the bottles that came with it were useful. I've a good solid brake pedal now.

1716752688914.jpg

1716752688917.jpg

1716752688932.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Just Footerin said:

@Ethos  I got a day free to do the brake lines. Easy enough to fit, the most difficult one being the one under the airbox, but there's just enough room if you unbolt the airbox and lift out the battery.

I'm looking for some rubber hose now to use as grommets. The Hel brakeline is only 7mm OD so it doesn't fit tight in the original cable clips, they are too loose, a bit of tubing round it will do I think. Hel put a few plastic grommets on the lines, but maybe not enough.

They were easy enough to bleed in the end by the old fashioned way. I tried a handheld vacuum pump kit but it was just a flaf, no use at all, but the bits of clear hose and the bottles that came with it were useful. I've a good solid brake pedal now.

1716752688914.jpg

1716752688917.jpg

1716752688932.jpg

Where did you buy the lines? It is a full kit?

@kainic I bought them from the Hel website in the UK. They're expensive, this was a full kit (7 lines) £280

Posted (edited)

I bought mine from https://www.off-the-road.de/

I bought:

Kit for front high guard (but I kept my low guard)                       BL-SF-T700-V2-BL-BL

Rear kit:                                                                                                            BL-SF-T700-H-BL-BL

Splitter for front kit                                                                                    KFA-T700-SW

And some brake line guides                                                                    BL-SF-T7-BLF  and BL-SF-T7-BLF56

I kept the ABS.

This way, if the mud is real bad, I can remove the front guard to ride out.

I'm not a fan of high guards, but what I have will allow me to fit a high guard easily as well.

They have a full range of colours.

And I bled the lines old school.  I got my son to pump, pump, pump hold.  While twisted the nipples.

I didn't do anything special with the ABS.

Edited by dnrobertson
insert link
  • Like 1

@dnrobertson how do you like their kit? I was looking at those last night for the same reason.

Did it come with all the washers? I know you need a new banjo bolt up front.

6 hours ago, GabbyMikka said:

@dnrobertson how do you like their kit? I was looking at those last night for the same reason.

Did it come with all the washers? I know you need a new banjo bolt up front.

It took a few questions and answers with them to settle on the above, but they were always quick with answers.

I bought these washers   DIRI-ALU-14  and these banjo bolts (for a bit of bling)  66-1120-BL

I'm happy with the results.

I fitted it myself and my mechanic friend that has fitted several different kits to T7's was impressed with the splitter, says it was a much better arrangement than several he had seen.

• Like 1

@dnrobertson I picked up the front and rear kits. I went to install the rear today, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to install it. I see the line that runs off the master cylinder to the first block, and I see the line that runs from the rear brake forward, but I can't figure out what they attach to. The blocks either have female ports or lines swedged on them. 

Can you provide some guidance or photos?

On 6/27/2024 at 5:03 AM, GabbyMikka said:

@dnrobertson I picked up the front and rear kits. I went to install the rear today, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to install it. I see the line that runs off the master cylinder to the first block, and I see the line that runs from the rear brake forward, but I can't figure out what they attach to. The blocks either have female ports or lines swedged on them. 

Can you provide some guidance or photos?

I don't have any photos.

I know I removed the plastic side panels and the tank.

Then it was just a matter of testing each hose (against the standard hoses) until I could see where they all went.

I didn't have any real issues.  The new hoses came with the blocks on them 

I also remember feeling like you when I opened the package and saw all the hoses.

Good Luck.

• Like 1