Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS dongle

random1781

On 5/10/2024 at 11:28 PM, random1781 said:

Yeah I want to see this!

I just posted some info in the Electrical section.

• Like 1

So for us monochrome riders what do we fancy?

The LSK electro fancy dongle for £100

Or the analog £35 switch earlier in the thread?

Besides price the analog doesn't involve the bikes CANBUS I don't think?

But fancy pants leaves front ABS in play 

On 1/20/2024 at 11:35 PM, Tenerider said:

Would like to see it on the old model as well. Sadly, disabling rear ABS seems not to be possible ever on these bikes.

BTW, they make a fuel cap hinge!

https://www.lskelectronics.com/store/CNC-Machined-Fuel-Cap-Holder-for-Yamaha-Tenere-700-p619105725

If you thought that was cool, here's a billet cap & hinge.

6 hours ago, GabbyMikka said:

If you thought that was cool, here's a billet cap & hinge.

Not seeing a pic or link if there should be one?

• 3 months later...

Bought this item in May. Have had it on in my 2019 T7 for about 7.000 km's.

Has anyone experienced this issue:

• Disable the rear Abs
  • Enable it again after some riding
  • After riding a while, the rear Abs witches to the disabled position

This has happened to me for four or five times now. And before I have wondered that did I push the button or not?

Last Saturday I enabled the rear Abs when coming out of the forest to the freeway. And on the freeway the Abs light started to blink like it does when the rear Abs is disabled.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

Just now, Hollybrook said:

@Totti what year is your bike? 

2019 as described in the original post 🧐

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

😳 I guess I missed that! 

This symptom would not make me happy. Have you contacted LSK?

No, I have not. I have thought about contacting them.

Just wanted to first find out, if there are others with the same problem.

• Like 1

I like the concept of the LSK dongle, but am not willing to put one on my bike. 

FWIW, I disable the ABS when riding offroad by interrupting the signal from the rear sensor.  If this signal is disconnected for too long, I sometimes get a CEL that only stays on for a couple of cycles of the ignition switch. 

The reason I bring this up is that for anyone without internal knowledge from Yamaha's engineers, the system that includes the ECU, the ABS computer and the sensors has to be treated as a black box. To reverse engineer its function, you vary the inputs and see how it reacts, but you are never able to fully understand the nuances of how it works and any hidden functions. 

I spent many years of my software engineering career reverse engineering IBM proprietary computer equipment, so this is something I have a pretty good understanding of. I am not comfortable with any reverse engineered product intercepting and modifying signals within this system, because the severity of a failure of my brakes is not acceptable to me. 

YMMV...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Totti said:

Bought this item in May. Have had it on in my 2019 T7 for about 7.000 km's.

Has anyone experienced this issue:

• Disable the rear Abs
  • Enable it again after some riding
  • After riding a while, the rear Abs witches to the disabled position

This has happened to me for four or five times now. And before I have wondered that did I push the button or not?

Last Saturday I enabled the rear Abs when coming out of the forest to the freeway. And on the freeway the Abs light started to blink like it does when the rear Abs is disabled.

Unfortunately yes .. 

plus: as soon as i stop riding (engine stays on - red light etc), the abs light turns on until i start riding again. Than it starts blinking, rear ABS is off.
Pushing the ABS button , ABS turns for a few minutes and than it starts blinking again. 

Last Saturday i contacted LKS, but until today no reply.
T7 2020, directly ordered at LSK Module, Module arrived in May. Worked perfectly until last week ...

• Sad 2

Thanks @Totti and @Tom_R for sharing your experience here. Although it might be only a problem with 1st gen bikes (Euro4), this is definitely of interest for all considering an ABS dongle. Hope LSK will sort things out soon for you.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2024 at 3:28 PM, Hollybrook said:

Have you contacted LSK?

Just contacted the LSK, got a reply under 15 minutes or so!

They advised me to send the item back to them for inspection.

• Like 4

On 9/3/2024 at 7:45 AM, Hollybrook said:

FWIW, I disable the ABS when riding offroad by interrupting the signal from the rear sensor.  If this signal is disconnected for too long, I sometimes get a CEL that only stays on for a couple of cycles of the ignition switch. YMMV...

I use the Nerb1 mod.  It has always worked perfectly until the past few rides, and I too started getting a CEL after switching back to on.  I finally figured out that a few months ago I was trying to get my ECU reader dongle to work on DMD2.  I also have a reader dongle on my van and both apps on my phone are named the same.  I tried changing them but no-go.  Anyway, it caused me to open the van app for the bikes reader and it somehow gave my bike a code (yes, the bike app gave the van a code too) which only illuminated after turning the ABS off.  I could extenguish the light thru the app, but it would illuminate again next ride.  After the last time I, hooked up my code reader and deleted the CEL and haven't had the light illuminate again. I had to do the same procedure to the van too.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

On 9/3/2024 at 9:45 AM, Hollybrook said:

I like the concept of the LSK dongle, but am not willing to put one on my bike. 

FWIW, I disable the ABS when riding offroad by interrupting the signal from the rear sensor.  If this signal is disconnected for too long, I sometimes get a CEL that only stays on for a couple of cycles of the ignition switch. 

The reason I bring this up is that for anyone without internal knowledge from Yamaha's engineers, the system that includes the ECU, the ABS computer and the sensors has to be treated as a black box. To reverse engineer its function, you vary the inputs and see how it reacts, but you are never able to fully understand the nuances of how it works and any hidden functions. 

I spent many years of my software engineering career reverse engineering IBM proprietary computer equipment, so this is something I have a pretty good understanding of. I am not comfortable with any reverse engineered product intercepting and modifying signals within this system, because the severity of a failure of my brakes is not acceptable to me. 

YMMV...

Your recorded mileage may vary!

It's especially hard to reverse engineer the entire state of the bike. The LSK dongle doesn't just send a CAN message to turn off ABS when you push a button, it sends messages on its own given the bike's state, or what it thinks the bike's state is. That's necessary for something like the memory feature, but it does significantly increase the complexity/risk.

Since Yamaha never designed rear-only ABS off into their pre-TFT models, I'm assuming the ABS ECU doesn't have a command to turn off rear-only. It seems like can do it when it's in a fault mode (as in when it stops receiving rear sensor input), but that probably happens internally within the ABS ECU.

This suggests that the LSK uses some type of kludge to trick the ABS ECU into thinking something is wrong with the rear and turning it off, kind of like a software version of the nerb1. Except a kludge is not something you want on the CAN bus.

But that's just me reading between the lines and speculating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

advgoats.com

The first time I got the CEL, I reset the light after reading the codes.  Since then, it has happened twice on longer rides when I was not able to easily connect my OBDII reader, and the CEL went away on its own, much faster than a typical code would have.

Now, I just turn the ABS back on about once an hour and that seems to keep the CEL from returning, though I have not had enough time to make sure it will always work.

6 minutes ago, random1781 said:

Since Yamaha never designed rear-only ABS off into their pre-TFT models, I'm assuming the ABS ECU doesn't have a command to turn off rear-only. It seems like can do it when it's in a fault mode (as in when it stops receiving rear sensor input), but that probably happens internally within the ABS ECU.

I have been under the impression that when the ABS computer fails to get a signal from the rear sensor, it disables ABS on both wheels.  I guess I need to verify this the next time I ride offroad!

What you said makes a lot of sense for a method to disable rear ABS only.  I have been wondering how LSK turned it off on the earlier bikes, but not enough to put a CAN bus sniffer on it.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I have been under the impression that when the ABS computer fails to get a signal from the rear sensor, it disables ABS on both wheels.  I guess I need to verify this the next time I ride offroad!

Actually I don't know why I thought that, because disabling both makes more sense.

Now I wonder how/if bikes can actuate front and rear ABS at the same time, or if it's just one at a time.

• Like 1

advgoats.com