Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Open discussion about accessory weight & value

NeilW

29 minutes ago, deanso said:

How do you guys weigh your bike?

I would love to know how much mine weights.

I've seen bathroom scales used one wheel at a time 

JakeTheGardenSnake did a video recently 

*edit

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, deanso said:

Truck scale and some landfills have scales you might be able to use for a few dollars. You can also use a bathroom scale, roll one wheel up at a time, and then add them up. If you have a scale that shows BMI, it'll also tell you how much BS you have on your bike.

I started with the listed stock weight and then just weighed luggage, gear, extra parts before installing, etc. by holding them while standing on a scale since the scale wasn't mine.

7 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

@random1781 I'm sure you know this, but dry bags work two ways and are good for holding ice as long as you don't mind the condensation on the outside. 

I've also found that Amazon bubble pack shipping bags make good insulation for hydration packs and would probably work as well for a dry bag cooler. 

Bubble wrap is another great idea! And yeah, I've had a few different things like shampoo leak in dry bags...not fun. My main concern/paranoia is dumping the bike and having some aluminum or glass cut the bag.

• Like 4

advgoats.com

7 hours ago, deanso said:

I literally went to the trash dump. They weigh each vehicle  before and after dumping. When I went one time I noticed that the weight was visible to me when I drove up to the cashier. So I just showed up one day on the bike, rode up to the cashier, saw the number, asked if it was accurate ( she said within 20#) and I told her I made a wrong turn and would leave - she smiled and said " have a nice day"

• Like 2

I plan to go to a CAT scale nearby to get weighed once we get a warm day.  I hope they can weigh a 500lb bike. Normally I am there for 4000-5000lb vehicles and trailers. They charge $13.50 for your first weigh and if you go back to get re-weighed within 24 hours at the same location, the re-weigh costs $3.00.  So I may load it up with all luggage, camping items, etc and then go back with minimal items for my re-weigh. The scales have 3 sections (for each axle if pulling a trailer) which I think I'll just pull onto the last scale. I don't need to know front/rear weights separately. 

I have weighed my accessories individually as I acquired them. Since I am not sure of the accuracy of my bathroom scales, especially for lighter items, I have gone to the post office and weighed items on their self service scale.

Here's my accessory summary:

Front area of bike - net ~7lbs additional (crash bars, headlite protector, windshield adjuster, levers, handguards, wind side deflectors)

Rear area of bike - net ~5lbs additional (top & side racks, tool tube, mono seat rack, Huzar exhaust) 

Low area of bike - net ~6lbs additional (AXP skid plate, Acerbis frame guards, Acerbis chain guard, Pyramid fender extender) 

So net total of about 18lbs. I still need to check my tank bag, tail back and luggage.

I'll let you know what I find later this week.

Dave.

Mine was 205kg.

Trying to get it as light as possible. 

Will take off the crashbars, build a rally tower and switch to excel rims this winter. I expect to get around 190kg/418lbs. If i got that right😅

The only added protection would me my skidplate by that point.

Whenever I "travel" I take a bagpack and a small bag onder the passenger seat.

I found that I am having the most fun with a light and nimble bike wherever I go. 

20230816_200305.jpg.f8035171cedce4faa67f17f04bbb23b4.jpg

• Like 4

I really don't even want to know how much mine weighs...  That will take away some fun right there.

• Haha 2

Just now, Hollybrook said:

I get that - now that I weighed mine, I want to reduce the weight. 🤣

I could stand to lose 10# off me. That would be cheaper than a new exhaust ….

• Like 2

@NeilW in Caroll Smiths famous book on race car tuning, he stated that the least expensive way to reduce car weight was to get a lighter driver. 

You could always do both and save 20lbs!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

@NeilW in Caroll Smiths famous book on race car tuning, he stated that the least expensive way to reduce car weight was to get a lighter driver. 

You could always do both and save 20lbs!

Usually, cyclists are way more extreme about weight reduction than we are - and most of them are rather willing to pay hundreds of dollars/€ for a weight reduction of 20 g (0.02 kg) instead of shedding one kg on their own body 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, Guido B said:

Mine was 205kg.

Will take off the crashbars, build a rally tower and switch to excel rims this winter. I expect to get around 190kg/418lbs. If i got that right😅

The only added protection would me my skidplate by that point.

Whenever I "travel" I take a bagpack and a small bag onder the passenger seat.

I found that I am having the most fun with a light and nimble bike wherever I go. 

20230816_200305.jpg.f8035171cedce4faa67f17f04bbb23b4.jpg

I've always wondered how stout the mounting points where your grab handles are...nkw I have a better idea! What size rims are you getting?

• Like 2

advgoats.com

2 hours ago, random1781 said:

I've always wondered how stout the mounting points where your grab handles are...nkw I have a better idea! What size rims are you getting?

They haven't let me down so far.

1.85 and 2.5.

• Like 1

I don't think it makes much difference, except between your ears, whether the bike has an extra 10kg or less by 10kg.  Certainly lighter would be better, but there are plenty of lighter bikes out there if weight is a real factor.  No it's just a bike and if you take it touring saving a few kg on center stands and cash bars won't make all that much difference to how it handles.  Sometimes people can caught up with things, like weight, or an acro pipe (because everyone has one)  Weight isn't even on my radar, I just know the 200+ means I won't be taking it down any gnarly single trails.   Plenty on youtube are, and I ask myself, Why?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, winddown said:

I don't think it makes much difference, except between your ears, whether the bike has an extra 10kg or less by 10kg.  Certainly lighter would be better, but there are plenty of lighter bikes out there if weight is a real factor.  No it's just a bike and if you take it touring saving a few kg on center stands and cash bars won't make all that much difference to how it handles.  Sometimes people can caught up with things, like weight, or an acro pipe (because everyone has one)  Weight isn't even on my radar, I just know the 200+ means I won't be taking it down any gnarly single trails.   Plenty on youtube are, and I ask myself, Why?

I agree.  I go by how it handles for me and what I do with it without knowing the numbers.  The bike talks to me and has a lot to say.  Like my example earlier in the thread- The bike told me it was way too top heavy in my earlier version of camping packing.  When I changed that it told me things were much better now.  I've learned I dont like the center rubber strip on a rear tire.  Its told me the rear shock is *ok* but the forks suck.   Im addressing those now.  I just address items like this that stand out.  When things quit standing out I know its right.  Hopefully soon now...

• Like 3

I've just removed my upper crash bars, total weight 3.6kg only (if the spec sheet is correct).

Strangely, and I didn't expect anything like this, it's a little bit easier to maneuver in the garage and feels less unstable at very slow speeds, i.e. when approaching a red traffic light or so. The latter might as well be due to my knees now being closer to the tank. Before, the bars were in the way and I had my legs spread a little more. But it definitely feels better, and this comes as a surprise for me.

• Like 3

I agree in general about the additional weight of enhancements, though if you add enough of those 10kg mods, it can really affect how the bike reacts. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 4:04 PM, Guido B said:

Mine was 205kg.

How much weight do you reckon you shave off by switching to excel rims? Been looking for that mod myself (Haan wheels), but couldn't find any good info about how much it would differ.

3 minutes ago, deanso said:

How much weight do you reckon you shave off by switching to excel rims? Been looking for that mod myself (Haan wheels), but couldn't find any good info about how much it would differ.

I am not sure but I guess at least 3 pounds for the rear and 2 pounds for the front. I will weigh them before and after, and keep you posted.

• Like 3

Another thing to keep in mind is tires vary in weight a lot. Can be up to a 2 to 3 pound difference between tires.

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 9:48 AM, winddown said:

Because it's great fun. I take mine to mx tracks quite often.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 2:07 PM, mpatch said:

Another thing to keep in mind is tires vary in weight a lot. Can be up to a 2 to 3 pound difference between tires.

Unsprung weight at that, along with lighter rims.

That's how I'm describing my bald tires now...optimized for weight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

advgoats.com

In addition to being unsprung weight, tire weight also affects braking and acceleration force, especially on larger diameter wheels.

• Like 3

On 12/16/2023 at 12:55 AM, DT675 said:

The bike talks to me and has a lot to say.  Like my example earlier in the thread- The bike told me it was way too top heavy in my earlier version of camping packing.  When I changed that it told me things were much better now.  I've learned I dont like the center rubber strip on a rear tire.  Its told me the rear shock is *ok* but the forks suck.   Im addressing those now.  I just address items like this that stand out.  When things quit standing out I know its right.  Hopefully soon now...

I have never thought of it that way, but you're right, the bike does talk to you in its own way.  I replaced the stock Rally STRs with the Anakee Wilds and didn't like them at all, until I let the pressures down to 27/26.  Now even on the blacktop they are great, and in the Dirt, WooHoo.  The bike seems to have a life of its own now and the lower pressures [I used to run 29/30] have made the ride a lot softer.  I'm 100kg so right at the beginning I upgraded the suspension to some serious Wilbers rear and racetech forks.  Thereafter the bike handled really well but was a bit hard.  I was going to start messing with the settings but not now.   Right setting, right pressures.

This business of weight is really only a problem going slow isn't it, and that because of the bike being top heavy of course.  But installing a center stand and lower bars, heavier pegs, all puts more weight down low, which in a sense, makes the bike less top heavy.  I carry some 10kg of tools and stuff as well but in Mosko 10L saddlebags, so that weight is low too.  One thing I have learnt when going slow, turning etc, is to keep the revs up and be ready to feed it power.  Power covers a multitude of sins. 

My mods list for dirt riding would be, in order of value

-More aggressive tires (at dirt pressures)

-Steering damper

-Decent suspension

-Decent foot Pegs

-Steg pegs

And for purely aesthetic value, a new pipe 😁

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, winddown said:

I have never thought of it that way, but you're right, the bike does talk to you in its own way.  I replaced the stock Rally STRs with the Anakee Wilds and didn't like them at all, until I let the pressures down to 27/26.  Now even on the blacktop they are great, and in the Dirt, WooHoo.  The bike seems to have a life of its own now and the lower pressures [I used to run 29/30] have made the ride a lot softer.  I'm 100kg so right at the beginning I upgraded the suspension to some serious Wilbers rear and racetech forks.  Thereafter the bike handled really well but was a bit hard.  I was going to start messing with the settings but not now.   Right setting, right pressures.

This business of weight is really only a problem going slow isn't it, and that because of the bike being top heavy of course.  But installing a center stand and lower bars, heavier pegs, all puts more weight down low, which in a sense, makes the bike less top heavy.  I carry some 10kg of tools and stuff as well but in Mosko 10L saddlebags, so that weight is low too.  One thing I have learnt when going slow, turning etc, is to keep the revs up and be ready to feed it power.  Power covers a multitude of sins. 

My mods list for dirt riding would be, in order of value

-More aggressive tires (at dirt pressures)

-Steering damper

-Decent suspension

-Decent foot Pegs

-Steg pegs

And for purely aesthetic value, a new pipe 😁

Interesting observation on tire pressure - Ray Ride4life preferred 1.7/1.9 bars, exactly what you're running. I was always a bit anxious about getting so low. Probably without any reason, so I'll give it a try.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:52 PM, mcbrien said:

Painted stock skid plate with black Rino Liner.

I've been looking for a way to blacken the stock skid plate. This is likely my next mod; thanks for idea. Let me ask: Did you prep the aluminum in any way or just clean and spray? How long have you had it Rhino-coated and how has it held up?

Tusk crash bars/pannier & top racks/hardcases/footpad/Olympus tank bag, Camel ADV One-finger clutch kit, Rox risers, fleabay tail tidy, Delkevic full exhaust w/ 14" carbon oval can