Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Top Box Options

Jayzonk

I just bought this 65litre top box from Motea. The main reason was for my pillion to have a backrest so she can stay on for longer trips but I'm worried about how much stuff you can put in it on top of her resting her back on it without the rack snapping or something.

Does anyone have advice when it comes to a box like this?

Do I need to limit what we put in it?

Is there anything I can do to the bike except adjust preload to make it handle better? (I've never ridden with a top box before)

If we just put clothes in the box is it fine to fully lean back on a box like this or is it just for supporting ur back?

Bagtecs top box set consisting of resistant steel top case and model-specific rear rack carrier XB65 motorcycle aluminum top box with 65 liter volume Top case for perfect luggage transport and a real adventure look Extra...

Generally speaking your box or the mounting will have instructions with them saying how much weight you are allowed to carry. And that is most of the times ridiculously low, like 7 kg or something.

On the other hand, most boxes will be strong enough to hold a lot more than instructions will tell you, ass the manufacturer wants to stay on the same side.

Your pillion will only lean against it, not sit on the box or push hard backwards like if someone really wanted to cause damage. There should not be a problem with a pillion leaning against it and some clothes in the box. If that was a problem, everybody would face it at some point. 

Considering the handling issue, you can only add preload or go for a harder spring or even change your shock. Preload will likely not be enough to give a satisfactory result in handling because most riders are using nearly their entire preload even if riding solo.

• Like 1

I did have the office (top box) rear rack - boy was that heavy - I never actually fitted it as it weighed a tonne

Posted (edited)

A 65ltr box will carry far more weight than your rack will be happy with.

I've snapped an AS aluminium rack with a 35ltr box only using it on road and being careful what I put in it, AS say max capacity 8kg and they don't specify in road only for that

I've seen video of an oem rack snapping with a top box on gravel roads too.

65ltrs is huge dude

*edit

Even on road can be punishing with pot holes and speed bumps or dropping off curbs 

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sunndog said:

A 65ltr box will carry far more weight than your rack will be happy with.

I've snapped an AS aluminium rack with a 35ltr box only using it on road and being careful what I put in it, AS say max capacity 8kg and they don't specify in road only for that

I've seen video of an oem rack snapping with a top box on gravel roads too.

65ltrs is huge dude

*edit

Even on road can be punishing with pot holes and speed bumps or dropping off curbs 

Doesn't the bag itself weight like 1-2kgs? For the spec on the one i bought the rack can handle 7.5kgs. I mean there is no way people do not overload these boxes and are still fine no? I am planning on riding mainly paved roads and occasionally gravel down to some camping site if needed.

3 minutes ago, nullsson said:

Doesn't the bag itself weight like 1-2kgs? For the spec on the one i bought the rack can handle 7.5kgs. I mean there is no way people do not overload these boxes and are still fine no? I am planning on riding mainly paved roads and occasionally gravel down to some camping site if needed.

Well, I've just given two examples of them breaking so....Maybe it won't maybe it will. 

Few things in life are guaranteed but that's a too big box on what looks a very long rear rack.

The original question was do you need to limit what you put in there and the answer to that is yes 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Clip of a previously posted video showing my son's Outback Mototrek rack failing with a Givi topcase carrying 5 lbs. This is right after installing and about 3 hours of combined pavement and dirt roads at moderate speeds.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxL3gKnEdetUIKL_TcnZ4yGJEiPxFMnfCH?si=Veci4XpQhrRlc7sv

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Posted (edited)

These racks only have the 4 points of contact - although heavy the Yamaha  one has 3 each side is distributing the weight

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

I think the main failure point on racks like these is because of the lever effect from the rear-most side bolts to where the case is.  The Yamaha one has a double frame with the tube on the bottom curving up right around the midpoint of the rack about center of where all the weight would be, and I think this is a really robust reinforcement.

yamaha.png.c58a20dbe8b9d6bed81a843b34144b64.png

But the strongest solution is to have weight on the frame and not hovering above it. Something like Camel's top rack bolts on to the frame between the seat and tail light, so no weld or tube is being stressed. I don't have a rack, but I place a significant amount of weight here without issues.

IMG_1286_f36b13d9-e82c-4caa-b533-72ca8b070eb7_2048x2048.webp.303c14dd93292e038d8e8cc62fa85924.webp

• Like 1

advgoats.com

Yes I agree, the leverage is what kills the thing when loaded too heavily. 

The video of the Givi is.... well... Not so nice. 

I've never tried going off-road with my SW Motech, maybe some unpaved roads, but not the nasty stuff and not heavily loaded. 

I'd like to know where to situate my SW Motech stuff in the competition when it comes to durability under more difficult conditions. It'd be nice to have some confidence inspiring stories.

• Like 1