Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Can I charge OEM battery with a gel charger?

waffl

Unfortunately my battery has died and was wondering a few things:

1. What is the exact specification of the stock OEM battery? I've looked up the Yuasa YTZ10S and can't quite tell if it's flooded/sealed/gel/AGM lead acid etc...
  2. I asked a friend to borrow a charger and he said it's for a Gel battery, from what I can tell, charging any of these types will not be as bad as charging a gel battery with the wrong charger - is it okay to charge the Yuasa YTZ10S with a gel charger?

Oddly can't find too much information on this topic!

Chargers for gel batteries are “usually” more modern, annd intelligent, and it probably says it can do gel, and agm too. In which case you’re fine. The other way is the bigger problem, charging agm etc with an older lead type charger. 

Edited by Dougie

On 9/15/2023 at 1:49 PM, Dougie said:

Def don’t charge an agm without a correct charger. Killed my first one like that some years ago. 🙄

I have read the same thing in many places but wonder how the bike knows what type of battery is in it?  A regular trickle charger replicates the bike charging system.  Always wondered how the bike knows the difference.

AGM batteries charge at a lower voltage than flooded lead acid, so if you use a charger that is only designed for a standard battery, you can damage the battery when the acid boils.  If this happens, a valve releases pressure and you lose some electrolyte. Over time, this will ruin the battery as there is no way to replace it. 

The charging system on a bike designed for an AGM battery must take this into account.  If you put a flooded lead acid battery into this bike, it will not get fully charged. 

Chargers for AGM batteries use multiple charging profiles to quickly and fully charge an AGM battery.  From a quick look at the T7 service manual, I suspect the charging system is quite simple and the rectifier/regulator is just a slightly lower voltage than would be used fit a bike designed to use a flooded lead acid battery.