Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Do you trust your dealership?

DaveT7

On 4/23/2023 at 12:40 PM, Kiwi said:

No.

They tried to claim it would take 8 hours to swap a muffler. "Well you have to take the entire exhaust system off and put it on again with special tools."

Special needs more like it mate,seems like you Mechanic's have them.

Yamaha Bergen? @Kiwi

Used to have a local family owned Honda/Suzuki dealer that I really liked, bought my DRZ from them 20 years ago. They went under in 2008 and since then I’ve found most dealers are disingenuous at best. 

The T7 was the first bike I bought in the same year as bike a 22 in 22, if you will.  My standard shopping once I’ve decided on a model is to hunt dealers within 200 miles for in-stock year old models. Got a 1k discount on the MT9, no such discounts on the T7 though.

I really don’t bother with warranty or service at the dealer, as I have the tools and love to work on bikes. I have no interest in establishing a relationship with a dealer, so other than my original purchase they’ll never see my bike again. 

Now the manufacturers, especially Triumph, Ducati and Indian want the Harley Davidson shopping experience, hardwood floors, a coffee shop, hipster clothing and the like. It’s a fun place to walk around in oily clothes, covered in bug splatter and stoned, while the sales gents keep the good eye on you. 

Y’all got any water?

IMG_1493.jpeg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I do not trust my dealership.  But I had an idea that would be the case going in, and part of my reasoning for buying the Tenere is that since the maintenance (especially during warranty) is minimal and odds are I wouldn't have to deal with them after purchase.  Communication is horrible, they did not set up the bike properly and then denied doing so.