Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

AltRider Adjustable Aluminum Side Stand

Lunch

Hey everyone,

I recently bought and installed the AltRider Adjustable Aluminum Side Stand on my 2023 T7, and I wanted to share my thoughts on it. Overall, I'm really happy with this purchase!

First off, installation was a breeze. The YouTube video they filmed walk you through the installation and it was pretty easy to follow.  The only issue I ran into was that the 10mm allen bolts came from the factory with what appeared to be red threadlocker on them. I had to use a breaker bar and stand on the end to get them to budge. They did need about 85Nm torque when I put them back, which seemed like a lot. Anyways once those bolts were out it only took me about 30 minutes to remove the stock side stand and replace it with the AltRider one.

In terms of performance, the AltRider stand is a huge improvement over the stock one. It's noticeably sturdier and more stable, which gives me a lot more confidence when I'm parking my bike on uneven surfaces. The adjustable feature is also really nice since I lowered my bike by 30mm and it allowed me to shorten the kickstand by about an inch to get the right lean, which will be great when I'm parking on uneven surfaces.

One other nice thing about it is that the aluminum construction feels really solid and durable, and I'm confident that it will hold up well over time. The new spring they include has a lot more tension and really snaps back into place when I put the kick stand up. Plus, it looks great on the bike – the black finish matches the other components perfectly.

All in all, I'm really happy with my purchase and would definitely recommend it if you need a shorter or taller side stand. Let me know if you have any questions – I'd be happy to share more details about my experience with the AltRider stand!

Cheers,

Lunch

70269292436__9B3E60B8-2D2A-436B-8CAA-385DAEBDC209.jpeg

• Like 6

I really like it's slightly curved base plate and general shape. Went with the CamelADV Camel Toe, but the AltRider was also high on my list.

Just curious, where did you find the torque specs for the 10mm bolts? I think I didn't find them in the service manual back then, but maybe I'm wrong.

I definitely didn't find torques for the shoulder screw which mounts the sidestand to the steel plate.

17 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I really like it's slightly curved base plate and general shape. Went with the CamelADV Camel Toe, but the AltRider was also high on my list.

Just curious, where did you find the torque specs for the 10mm bolts? I think I didn't find them in the service manual back then, but maybe I'm wrong.

I definitely didn't find torques for the shoulder screw which mounts the sidestand to the steel plate.

I didn't find them, but Jeremy mentions them at 10:52 in the AltRider installation video: https://youtu.be/x7dZjaXuBQA?t=652

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @Lunch, thanks for sharing your experience. Have you tried to do a pivot on your stand? Do you feel its strong enough for that?

Jeremy says in the video that the stand is "bulletproof" and good for  pivoting. But on the AltRider site I feel they back out from both of that:

Note: It is possible to do a side stand pivot, our billet aluminum design is just as strong, if not stronger than the cast aluminum side stand from Yamaha. We don’t recommend doing a side stand pivot, even with the OEM side stand.

I just struggle to have confidence in those little bolts that hold together the upper and lower parts. As I understand the bosses should lock together, but the parts have some clearance. Also, their site is low on reviews and the kickstand(s) has zero. That does not help with my confidence.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, frncmx said:

Hi @Lunch, thanks for sharing your experience. Have you tried to do a pivot on your stand? Do you feel its strong enough for that?

Jeremy says in the video that the stand is "bulletproof" and good for  pivoting. But on the AltRider site I feel they back out from both of that:

I just struggle to have confidence in those little bolts that hold together the upper and lower parts. As I understand the bosses should lock together, but the parts have some clearance. Also, their site is low on reviews and the kickstand(s) has zero. That does not help with my confidence.

If you don't need adjustability and want either a shorter or longer sidestand, you might try CamelADV's Camel Toe sidestand. It's a one-piece steel kickstand and strong as hell. I didn't do a pivot on it yet, but have zero doubts you can do it a thousand times. CamelADV explicitly say pivots are no problem.