Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Barkbuster handguard install advice

Toymaster

Need to get handguards for my bike,  deciding between Tusk / Acerbis X Factor (BB not so much,  this should not be a $200 problem)

Note - I do (as some others ) prefer to rotate perches forward for positioning of the levers.

What say you 

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

19 minutes ago, chadio said:

Need to get handguards for my bike,  deciding between Tusk / Acerbis X Factor (BB not so much,  this should not be a $200 problem)

Note - I do (as some others ) prefer to rotate perches forward for positioning of the levers.

What say you 

X-Factors work well, they leave just enough space for my Puig aftermarket levers (OEM are slimmer).

If you've flipped your bar risers, make sure the thick aluminium bars don't hit the dashboard. They did in my case and created some nice little marks. I had to cut/grind off a bit of these bars

20230602_073946.jpg.d6f65251915043a2fd5f3cd89fcad96d.jpg

Approx 7mm gap between brake lever and handguard (more clearance on the clutch lever)

20230602_073919.jpg.ab14144cabf62d8306eff9cf3fa4a231.jpg

20230602_073913.jpg.61d1ec23e7b58bbd893915da013699e3.jpg

Shortened protection bar, normally it protudes roughly 1cm more towards the dash. Only a problem when bars are fully tucked in, of course. No issues with OEM risers in standard position.

All in all, very happy with their performance. They saved my levers multiple times, including a hard impact from a tipover on a slanted concrete parking lot.

It suffered a slight bend, only noticeable in direct comparison.

Wind protection is nice, too.

Thank you Tenerider!!!   I am convinced.

What color for my Shadow Gray '23?

t7 gray day.jpg

• Like 1

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Someone has the T7 specific bark busters listed locally for sale, I'm wondering if they work with Oxford grip heaters? Given all the issues I'm seeing, I'm thinking I may not buy them.

I took the acerbis supermoto handfuards off my ktm 640 and they are perfect, with oxford heated grips too 

Edited by sunndog

• 1 year later...

Well, I guess I'm dragging up an old thread. I couldn't get the suggested kit to work with the stock bars and weights. I think I'll have to live without the weights. I do like my levers pointed down. I can get the whole setup to fit but the barkbusters are pointing way down. I only tried the front brake side. I'm also using oxford grip heaters.

image.png.2743f5b6f6e658c00446fcd1b1ea39cf.png

image.png.23e0e99468e8da59e235851ca91c1ab5.png

image.png.b236079a258817ccae3f893418d63494.png

image.png.35bb92d3cf9743ed3a8af3c3d46a929d.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2023 at 12:02 PM, Toymaster said:

It would seem the "offset" topic stole the show in this thread.  I would like to point out that the other topic mentioned is the use of the OEM bar weights and bar inserts.  None of the BB hardware is required on that end of the guard and the OEM stuff is actually heavier. 

Part of the "bike specific" kit is the replacement weights, insert, and longer screw.   These are the parts I spent money on and are not using; they will probably stay in my toolbox till I die.   I'm an old maintenance man, therefore a packrat.  You never know what little widget the next project may require. 

Thanks for your post. I just fitted mine using your advice using the universal kit,  and I think I would have run into issues using the other one. I didn’t think it was worth messing around with the bar weights. 

IMG_8856.jpeg

IMG_8857.jpeg

I just revisited mine.

They were dealer fitted and look like the universal fit with the straight piece to the bar clamp.

I have my levers rotated forward and don't see any conflict.

I ride a mix of sitting and standing and I have the levers set at what I consider the optimum height.

I think if the kit had the T7 specific fittings I would be hitting the top of the Acerbis tank

ARGGGHH  why do my photos come out 90° rotated??

BB2.jpg

Edited by Rider 101
add photo

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.