Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Display/dash/meter assembly troubleshooting

random1781

I want to poke around at one, so broken screen is okay!

Edited by random1781
Originally a WTB post

advgoats.com

I’m intrigued. What is it you’re hoping to figure out?

It’s a pretty basic lcd type display so you’re pretty limited as far as changing what it shows. 

5 minutes ago, mpatch said:

I’m intrigued. What is it you’re hoping to figure out?

It’s a pretty basic lcd type display so you’re pretty limited as far as changing what it shows. 

Want to know how it stores the odometer, because that's where it's kept. Still kinda bent on getting rid of as much of it as I can while maintaining a "pure" record of how far the bike has gone.

advgoats.com

• 1 year later...

Hi, There do you still have the LCD screen ? My screen fuel quantity indication only shows 3 bars even though physically filled to full. can you share some photos of the screen if you still have it. 

1 hour ago, SuriE said:

Hi, There do you still have the LCD screen ? My screen fuel quantity indication only shows 3 bars even though physically filled to full. can you share some photos of the screen if you still have it. 

Who has one?

it was a WTB thread

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SuriE said:

Yeah I'm looking for one to buy.

It's possible for a portion of the screen to fail, but I that's pretty rare. It's more likely the float/sender in the tank has an issue. I'm pretty sure the manual has a test for that.

advgoats.com

I thought you had one for sale. Sorry my bad. The workshop has checked the continuity, resistance and voltage drop test of the wiring and swapped the fuel pump with 2 new ones still the indication on the screen shows half even when it’s filled to full. But when you turn the ignition key on initially the screen shows all the bars on the screen. 

20 minutes ago, SuriE said:

I thought you had one for sale. Sorry my bad. The workshop has checked the continuity, resistance and voltage drop test of the wiring and swapped the fuel pump with 2 new ones still the indication on the screen shows half even when it’s filled to full. But when you turn the ignition key on initially the screen shows all the bars on the screen. 

No worries!

If the power-on test shows all the bars, the screen is most likely fine. Most likely it's the resistor on the float. With signals like these, you could have a variance that wouldn't register on 99% of multimeters but can still cause erroneous readings.

An easy test would be to simulate a full tank by unpluging the sensor, sticking a 12 ohm resistor (which is what the Tenere expects with a full tank) at the end of the green/white wire, and then connecting that to ground. So basically you are replacing the resistor in the sender (48) with your own:

Screenshotfrom2024-09-2619-43-36.png.fa122cc878eeff4f53a19a6cc6fb472a.png

Because 12 ohms isn't much, you could also try shorting the green/white wire directly to ground to make the resistance 0. I'm not sure that will work - you might get an error code since it's technically outside of the range, but it wouldn't hurt the electronics to try. You also don't need an resistor at EXACTLY 12 ohms. Full tank is 12 ohms and empty is 122 ohms, so anything 12-30 should work.

You could visually inspect the board under the LCD to see if there's any odd corrosion or anything around the area labeled "Fuel", but that's unlikely:

Screenshotfrom2024-09-2619-28-44.png.257a202d94ea010abaab479ad208fb44.png

• Like 3

advgoats.com

9 hours ago, SuriE said:

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 Thank you !! will try this. 

Let us know what you find out!

advgoats.com

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t find any corrosion under the magnifying lense, looks nothing wrong with the Pcb board visually. I got a chance to swap the display from other bike and the display shows the quantity full so it’s confirmed that the Display screen is faulty. 

IMG_2898.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SuriE said:

I didn’t find any corrosion under the magnifying lense, looks nothing wrong with the Pcb board visually. I got a chance to swap the display from other bike and the display shows the quantity full so it’s confirmed that the Display screen is faulty. 

IMG_2898.jpeg

Glad you figured it out! Did you swap out just the display or the display and board?

@AZJW feel free to move this thread out of the parts section and I can change the title.

advgoats.com

• Moderators

Moved from Classifieds at OP request.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 10/8/2024 at 5:30 AM, random1781 said:

Glad you figured it out! Did you swap out just the display or the display and board?

@AZJW feel free to move this thread out of the parts section and I can change the title.

• random1781 changed the title to Display/dash/meter assembly troubleshooting
6 hours ago, SuriE said:

I swapped the whole unit. 

There's still a chance that it's the PCB and not the display itself that isn't working right, which is still my guess. If you do try swapping one or the other out, be careful with that ribbon cable that connects the PCB to the display. The glue can get stuck in between the latch.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

That was by luck there was a bike in the garage to swap and test. I don’t think anyone will allow me take a part his display to test on mine 😁