Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Engine and water pump Protection??

john_aero

Funny you quoted as I have just added a set of acerbis case covers to my bag online

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 6:59 AM, john_aero said:

While i know this can be a sore topic, but has anyone used some of the Chinese protection parts.

I have used them on my enduro bikes in past and was happy enough with them.

their engine and water pump protection parts look good value

For Yamaha Xsr700 Fz-07 Mt-07 Tracer 2014-2022 Tenere 700 Motorcycle Accessories Engine Protection Cover - Covers & Ornamental Mouldings - AliExpress

New Motorcycle Accessories Water Pump Guard For Yamaha Tenere 700 T7 T700 Tenere 700 Water Pump Cover 2019 2020 2021 - Covers & Ornamental Mouldings - AliExpress

Bought the guard in the OP's second link and it arrived from "communist" China (is there another one?) in a reasonable amount of time. Packaging was good and all parts in separate bags. Machining quality, finish and fit are all excellent, although the stainless fasteners could be a little higher quality (small hex for its size). In fact, the machining of the billet guard is downright impressive, but I could do without the Tenere logo. On the bike, the guard might crowd the Camel brake pedal a little, but will have to wait for the snow to melt to try it out. All in all, for $15 or so for something who's purpose is to be abused, it's worth a try. All the rest of my protection is Touratech, but they wanted $100 for a pressed metal guard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fzrcraig said:

Bought the guard in the OP's second link and it arrived from "communist" China (is there another one?) in a reasonable amount of time. Packaging was good and all parts in separate bags. Machining quality, finish and fit are all excellent, although the stainless fasteners could be a little higher quality (small hex for its size). In fact, the machining of the billet guard is downright impressive, but I could do without the Tenere logo. On the bike, the guard might crowd the Camel brake pedal a little, but will have to wait for the snow to melt to try it out. All in all, for $15 or so for something who's purpose is to be abused, it's worth a try. All the rest of my protection is Touratech, but they wanted $100 for a pressed metal guard.

i would agree some of the items in past i have gotten are excellent, some just junk

i ended up going with the Acerbis guards as got them on sale and were cheaper than the Chinease ones so was happy out

29 minutes ago, Fzrcraig said:

Bought the guard in the OP's second link and it arrived from "communist" China ........ All the rest of my protection is Touratech

For some reason my sense of irony is triggered by this.  

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2023 at 5:00 AM, jdub53 said:

If not a cheap knock off, maybe TC just had a recent bad production run. I installed these in July 2021 with no issues. 

20210710_160708.jpg.aee797888603c1e69d35ce88cec9da2a.jpg20210710_160725.jpg.cd11571f674f1f0dab306306906fcf50.jpg

Totally different bike and design of course, but if not for the protector over it I'd have been walking out of the woods that day after my old R1200GSA's valve cover landed on a pointy rock during a nap in the woods. Based upon that experience I like the idea of protecting critical/somewhat exposed engine covers when off road in the rocky areas where I ride.

018.JPG.81832935f68a605ffa03b6736774a813.JPG 

Carry some steelstick. The jelly roll 15 min steel epoxy. I repaired a BMW valve cover many miles into the bush on a ride I hosted. Dude slid out in a corner on a FSR. Oil puking out. Laid the bike down. 
Rag and some gas cleaned the spot. Sandpaper from a tyre patch kit roughed up the area. Rode out. Month later no leaks as he waited on parts. 

I've seen some absolute miracle fixes with the steel stick epoxy to get people home. It's always a part of my tool kit for the last resort emergency type fixes. Obviously doesn't make a substitute for proper protection, but it'll get you out of some binds till you can get replacement parts