Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

The "low COG = high stability" myth

Tenerider

Just now, Redneckj said:

I know this,  if you drop your T7, with NO luggage, it falls flat on the ground.  It is VERY hard to pick it back up.  

Damn right. I'd rather pick up any other motorcycle ten times than a T7 once.

• Like 3

All valid points about the COG but I think the shape of the T7’s tank amplifies the effect by allowing the fuel to slosh around freely. 

The bottom of the tank is almost flat unlike most older bikes that have a frame tunnel which prevented much of a sideways slosh, obviously duel tanks even more so.

I notice this when I’m pushing the T7 around in the garage, dab the front break while tuning at a slight lean and a 3/4 full tank and you’ll feel a delayed push that can catch you off guard. 

At 16l tank volume let’s say at 3/4 it is 10kg of liquid inertia coming to rest slightly later than the rest, that is a substantial force, especially when you initially think you got it and then the surge hits. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HomerFX said:

All valid points about the COG but I think the shape of the T7’s tank amplifies the effect by allowing the fuel to slosh around freely. 

The bottom of the tank is almost flat unlike most older bikes that have a frame tunnel which prevented much of a sideways slosh, obviously duel tanks even more so.

I notice this when I’m pushing the T7 around in the garage, dab the front break while tuning at a slight lean and a 3/4 full tank and you’ll feel a delayed push that can catch you off guard. 

At 16l tank volume let’s say at 3/4 it is 10kg of liquid inertia coming to rest slightly later than the rest, that is a substantial force, especially when you initially think you got it and then the surge hits. 

Very good point, I've felt the fuel swap around, too - but have never realized what this might do to the balance of the bike.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:35 PM, Redneckj said:

I know this,  if you drop your T7, with NO luggage, it falls flat on the ground.  It is VERY hard to pick it back up.  

I recently helped a friend pick up his Ducati Desert X from laying flat on the ground with loaded Mosko R80 luggage. We barely got it up working together. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I recently helped a friend pick up his Ducati Desert X from laying flat on the ground with loaded Mosko R80 luggage. We barely got it up working together. 

Good to know. Seems like I'm always drawn to such bikes 🤣

Seriously, the DesertX is probably the only bike I'd consider instead of my beloved Desert Queen (if money is no object).

• 4 months later...

I can 100% confirm this, hear me out:

I own a 2005 KTM 950 adventure, famous for lots of things, legendary bike (and great bike), and known for the low slung fuel tanks. 

I also own a 2024 tenere 700 (just recently purchased. 

I live in a desert (Twentynine palms area, by Joshua Tree) with many tracks of extremely fine and deep sand, with lots of ruts from other vehicles, so kind of a nightmare for these 450 pound monsters (but also absolutely exhilarating). 

I also got a dirtbike so I can roam the area with a lot more freedom and a lot less anxiety (adv bikes in this setting are, well, an ADVENTURE).

Anyways, to the point: 

The Tenere outperforms the KTM in this environment in my experience. The point about the moment of inertia is spot on. While the KTM will plow through ruts a bit better because of its low weight pushing behind the wheels, when it does get overcome by a rut, it goes quite quickly. The Tenere on the other hand, though a little more sensitive to the ruts because it is lighter on the bottom (thus less inertia to help the wheels plow through the ruts) the top of the bike is really slow to be affected by all the chaos beneath it, so what winds up happening is the bottom of the bike moves around more, but is always correcting itself under the upper COG ballast. 

TL;DR

The Tenere powns low COG bikes in deep sand, which for me is exactly where I want a bike to perform well. Similarly it is better in dirt ruts because it doesn’t have sagging breasts catching the sides of them 😂 (though my 05’ KTM 950 keeps them packed in tighter than the newer ones do).

I freaking LOVE this bike. And that’s even with an issue I’m having with it being wobbly at 60 mph on mildly sandy dirt roads. I’m not sure, maybe it’s a wheel balance issue, need to get that figured out. Anyways, that’s been a bit depressing being a brand new bike, but after taking it out to the actual challenging terrain I’m in love. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't feel a handling difference with a full tank of fuel vs a near empty one.

The stock front STR tire is known to be defective from the factory stability wise.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

I think you are all a bunch of pansies.

I am bordering 63 and have dropped the T7 a few too many times.

I have been able to get upright loaded, unloaded, full fuel etc. without too much issue.

I generally ride solo and have to be self sufficient.

I would suggest drinking a cup of cement and harden the $%&^ up.

• Haha 3

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.