Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

No swingarm spools - drives me nuts

razteo

Our US models don't have that raised part where the threads are on Lewie's bike. I would like to think the arm is thicker there and we could drill, but I'm not willing to find out the hard way.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Although a 22 reg mines a 21 I think

not sure how can you tell where it’s made 

Sticker on the frame, left side.

IMG_2359.jpg

21 hours ago, Lewie said:

My 21 has threaded holes for 6mm bobbins 

My 22 EU model has them as well. I use cheap bobbins, very handy.

Yamaha recommends using their OEM bobbins which go through the axle and are designed to snap if the bike goes down. Which raises the question why they provide threaded holes in the first place if that's a concern.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mapster said:

My 22 EU model has them as well. I use cheap bobbins, very handy.

Yamaha recommends using their OEM bobbins which go through the axle and are designed to snap if the bike goes down. Which raises the question why they provide threaded holes in the first place if that's a concern.

...so probably they wanted to avoid the lawsuits in the US by simply omitting them..  and they can also make $ by selling the OEM center stand as an accessory, not offering it standard... because why not?

• Like 2

I was not planning on a centerstand, but quickly changed my mind.   I also have a jack that lifts 25" which is nice for suspension work. 

• Like 2

So there are a number of options (for shop use), depending upon how handy you are. Here's one (can't find a real link for it, but it should be somewhere...) or you can build one quite easily.

FOLDING MOTORCYCLE CENTER stand vintage flat track motocross Ahrma ...

Adjust the u shaped cups to the height of the frame rails when the bike is in the elevated position you want it in when under the bike. To use, slip it under the bike, and pivot it backwards with the lever, and your bike is up. Add some rollers on the end of the bottom tubes, and now you have a bit of a roller...

Or I built this.

image.jpeg.b6dc051be13c92681be71ce3befb6e9f.jpeg

Happy to send you drawings of the various parts less the skateboard. Roll it under, stand on the lever, and its up. Both tires, or either one depending upon where you place it.

Or there are these ones...

052815-bursig-stand-01-side-plate.jpg

The stand comes with a specific side plate for your model bike, but you have to adjust the two pins to fit just right. (For some bikes, you have to remove an engine mounting bolt and replace it...

• Like 3

I think I have Yamaha disease...

13 hours ago, Canzvt said:

So there are a number of options (for shop use), depending upon how handy you are. Here's one (can't find a real link for it, but it should be somewhere...) or you can build one quite easily.

FOLDING MOTORCYCLE CENTER stand vintage flat track motocross Ahrma ...

Adjust the u shaped cups to the height of the frame rails when the bike is in the elevated position you want it in when under the bike. To use, slip it under the bike, and pivot it backwards with the lever, and your bike is up. Add some rollers on the end of the bottom tubes, and now you have a bit of a roller...

Or I built this.

image.jpeg.b6dc051be13c92681be71ce3befb6e9f.jpeg

Happy to send you drawings of the various parts less the skateboard. Roll it under, stand on the lever, and its up. Both tires, or either one depending upon where you place it.

Or there are these ones...

052815-bursig-stand-01-side-plate.jpg

The stand comes with a specific side plate for your model bike, but you have to adjust the two pins to fit just right. (For some bikes, you have to remove an engine mounting bolt and replace it...

Thank you, some of them are very interesting approaches.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:25 PM, gnortz said:

Hi
This is China goods. If you want to tighten the chain or remove the rear wheel, these parts are not suitable.

That doesn’t make any sense at all. If you can’t loosen the axle or remove the wheel how are they installed in the first place? 

Edited by Buggy Nate

On 8/23/2022 at 7:06 PM, Lewie said:

Do you think they redesigned the swinging are for the euro 21 model like mine ?

DAAD880D-9B48-4794-A58B-F8FB4EC739A7.jpeg

I just removed my centerstand and installed M6 Bobbins in the holes in the swingarm. Jacking up the rear wheel with a paddockstand works great! Big weight loss.

Never knew these holes were there... Thanks!!!

I have a 2021 EU bike built in France by the way...

Edited by Chris1974
  • Like 1

Ido need to order some - I’ve a stand but been using the L shaped adapters - not easy 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:36 AM, Lewie said:

Ido need to order some - I’ve a stand but been using the L shaped adapters - not easy 

Yes, I have those too, pain in the butt. Also the bike slides down on them..

How thick is the material where the holes are tapped? Does the swing arm appear hollow or solid at this point?

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Some arrived today with 40mm countersunk Allan bolts - too long so probably need some 35’s
trimmed and fitted

image.jpg

A877A8D2-BFB4-4962-92EA-690F553F68EA.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know which M6 bobbin fits please? Is it a 1mm pitch or a 1.25mm pitch? 
thanks 

carl 

m6 would be 1mm

• Like 1