Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear Tire Wobble - Yamaha Tenere 700

srb808

Question

I wanted to adjust my chain and notice I have slight wobble in the rear tire. I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what was wrong, adjusting the slack back and forth using the adjustment hashes and even a ruler to make sure everything is correct but the wobble simply does not disappear.

A friend of mine has said even if my chain adjustment was off the wobble should not be there, idk please share your thought on this and I appreciate all the help.

Video link is below

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sjxor6yR1wo

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, Canzvt said:

While it is NOT RIGHT and needs to be dealt with, chain wear will be minimal. Consider how it oscillates side to side, and calculate the angular displacement (if you really want to know) which is actually half of the total movement. You will likely find most non-caring back yard mechanic motorbike riders chain's mis-alignment are out more than this. Ride it until they replace the parts.

While you are at it, I would spring a few extra (like a $100 or so) to get them to put a good chain on it. The stock chains are usually only slightly better than a rubber band, but not 20,000+kms durable. I'm a HUGE fan of Regina Gold Series (if you can find them) - 

Have them on all my bikes now (6). One has over 25,000kms on it and still going strong.

Good luck!!

Don't know but mine lasted longer as 23000. Only changed cause of a long trip I had coming up. Proper chain maintenance is key.

That said .. i sould have oils it after my ride today..  darn it

34 minutes ago, CoreCass said:

Don't know but mine lasted longer as 23,000

@CoreCass Wear and maintenance on chains is like an oil post..... Like you, I have had stock chains last very long with  regular lubrication.  Others will have conflicting opinions.

What I found for wear limits on a 525 chain is:

wear limit as 256.5mm for 16 links (center-to-center)

Lots of guys change chains when they change sprockets.... That may or may not be excessive, I wonder if they measure the chain length first? My guess is the service manuals are conservative, so in my opinion, their recommendations are what I follow. 

In 50 years I have never wore out an engine or broke a modern 0-ring chain.... maybe I am just lucky.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

22 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@CoreCass Wear and maintenance on chains is like an oil post..... Like you, I have had stock chains last very long with  regular lubrication.  Others will have conflicting opinions.

What I found for wear limits on a 525 chain is:

wear limit as 256.5mm for 16 links (center-to-center)

Lots of guys change chains when they change sprockets.... That may or may not be excessive, I wonder if they measure the chain length first? My guess is the service manuals are conservative, so in my opinion, their recommendations are what I follow. 

In 50 years I have never wore out an engine or broke a modern 0-ring chain.... maybe I am just lucky.

If oiling is the only thing you do. Shure you cause friction.

Maintenance is not just poring oil. It means regular cleaning and oiling at the right time.  I oil after cleaning, a ride. Water/ rain.

As for changing a set. It's if your sockets are done. If not change the chain and no worry's. Otherwise your new chain will be done as soon as if not before.

Wat it boils down to is conservative in your opinion. But Fact is that it's cost effective to change the set.

1 hour ago, CoreCass said:

But Fact is that it's cost effective to change the set

In my misspent youth, I would often change my front sprocket once or twice before the rear needed it (unless the rear was aluminum). Generally changed the chain when I needed to put a new rear sprocket on. Maybe that was not a good idea, but money was scarce!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Just to update you all and thanks for all the shared knowledge, tips and tricks. 
I have had the bike now for a week and a half, once the dealer/certified Yamaha mechanics got all the parts from Yamaha (front and back sprockets, chain) they did not have the necessary tool to remove the swing arm so the owner of the shop took matter in his own hands (after me complaining of the incompetence in the post purchase process/mechanics/service dpt) and ordered a new chain that could be put on without removing the swingarm because they didn't know when they would get that special tool. Another week went by and my bike was finally ready!

One again, thanks to all 

What moron orders a endless chain.
The only bikes i think it might be useful are the extremely high powered ones and even then it's probably not even needed.
If a mechanic can't rivet a chain link i don't want him/her to work on my bike at all.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

What moron orders a endless chain.
The only bikes i think it might be useful are the extremely high powered ones and even then it's probably not even needed.
If a mechanic can't rivet a chain link i don't want him/her to work on my bike at all.

I get what you are saying, but if Yamaha is replacing a defective part under warranty they will want to use stock parts.

The special tool needed is not that special and the mechanic should have been able to figure out how to adjust the adjustable swingarm spacer without waiting for the tool Yamaha uses.

A big flat screwdriver will work if needed.

I too would never order a stock endless chain as there are many quality aftermarket chains out there.  But if someone does get a chain from Yamaha don't think something special is needed for install.  It doesn't take long to remove the swingarm and is the perfect opportunity to grease the swingarm bearings.  Something often overlooked by many.

Happy to see Yamaha covered your issue.

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 2