Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What’s the Fuel price near you

Irishman

$4.29 per gallon for 87 octane where I live in Pennsylvania at the moment, but because I live only a couple of miles from the Maryland border I save $.60 per gallon by fueling up there with all my vehicles.

Whatever floats your boat, but surprised to see so many folks in the U.S. buying 91 octane for their T7. My owner's manual states "Your Yamaha engine was designed to use regular unleaded gasoline", and then states "Confirm the pump octane number [(R+M)/2 method] is 86 or higher". Because that's the method used in the U.S., my T7 always gets and is perfectly happy with regular 87 octane. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

[(R+M)/2 method] is 86 or higher

My Owners manual says this... Humm! Further research is required!

image.png.93113e7518e85a3bd049de6ba4f6b411.png

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Service manual says this:

image.png.aa5414d00e33861232645a8685a1e611.png

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

My Owners manual says this... Humm! Further research is required!

image.png.93113e7518e85a3bd049de6ba4f6b411.png

Exactly. The U.S. uses the octane rating method mentioned in my post, in which RON is the "R" in the [(R+M)/2 method] I quoted from the owner's manual. IIRC, this formula is also posted on most U.S. gas pumps.

RON = Research Octane Number

M = MON = Motor Octane Number

Doing the math clarifies what was in my post and that Yamaha says use 86 octane or higher with the U.S.'s [(R+M)/2 method].

An introduction to gasoline octane, why octane is important, and how it is measured.

Edited by jdub53

@jdub53 wow, that is good news!!!! Both the owners manual and service manual I showed were from the internet, I figured because they were in english, they were good for the USA (Never assume). I will go out and take my seat off and check the manual that came with the bike. I looks like i owe you many beers (universal currency) if I ever get out to PA.

Thanks,

Bob

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Premium 91 = 0.28 USD per liter

Super 95 = 0.35 USD per liter 

Ultra 98 = 0.59 USD per liter

I live in Kuwait 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@jdub53 yup, it is confirmed. I looked at my 2021 owners manual that came with the bike and it says the same as yours. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@hobie_angler Kuwait may have cheap gas but can a girl in a bikini top go into your gas station and get a 30-pack of beer??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

4 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@hobie_angler Kuwait may have cheap gas but can a girl in a bikini top go into your gas station and get a 30-pack of beer??

hahahha you got that right, we do not have beer and yes a girl can wear bikini on beach it's fine.

imagine that we have to drive 400 km to bahrain to drink beer and get back 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

@jdub53 yup, it is confirmed. I looked at my 2021 owners manual that came with the bike and it says the same as yours. Thank you very much!

Confusion over RON octane rating vs the [R+M/2] rating used by the U.S. is a common thing I've seen debated on many motorcycle forums, so don't feel bad. Yet another strange thing the U.S. does to remain non-standardized.

The T7's ability to run on regular gas is yet another plus for it vs a high compression engine that requires premium, costly high octane.

Edited by jdub53

2 hours ago, hobie_angler said:

I live in Kuwait 😆

Do you know the postage costs to the netherlands? Maybe you can sent me a barrel?🤑

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

Do you know the postage costs to the netherlands? Maybe you can sent me a barrel?🤑

alright gonna send you a barrel of ultra 98 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hobie_angler said:

I live in Kuwait 😆

We need  a pipe from Kuwait to the UK 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Irishman said:

And back. For beer.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 7:56 AM, Tenerider said:

Looking at the price for one barrel, NOTHING justifies these gas prices. Not in Europe and nowhere else.

It's simply good old greed. At least that's what I've read on more than one serious newspaper over here.

I spent 18 years as a downhole equipment vendor in 'the patch', and I learned that the price of gasoline at the pump is somewhat related to the price of a barrel of oil. I say somewhat as it is obviously the raw material feedstock for our gasoline. Double the feedstock price and the price of gas will go up. However what everyone forgets is that it takes a very significant (and expensive) refinery to convert that oil into gasoline, and that feedstock oil quality differs greatly depending upon where it comes from. I can only speak about North America, but there hasn't been a significant investment in refineries in the US or Canada in 10s of years. So refining capacity has increased slightly due to technology improvements, maintenance routines, etc, while demand has skyrocketed due to many things. Add in highly variable feedstock quality and you instantly have a production choke = $$$..

US refineries (primarily gulf coast) were designed to accept certain percentages of heavy, medium and light crude in order to operate efficiently and produce the myriad of petroleum products we use. Eliminate/reduce/change one or more feedstock(s) and there become disruptions. Russia's oil is/was a North American feedstock. Plain and simple. Eliminate it, and the refineries have to find alternate feedstocks. Mexico is relatively dysfunctional at the moment to increase demand. Canada is also highly dysfunctional and hooped due to lack of pipelines, hence is no help, and .... you get the idea.

Add in massive market speculation, price hedging, increasing taxation to fund ethanol production subsidies (and other BS), increased distribution costs (due to lack of labor) blah, blah, blah. I need a beer, and its only 6:30am!

Anyway, I'm trying to not soapbox but provide some limited information. I AM NO EXPERT in the fuel economy and there is no doubt some people are getting stinking rich over the price of gas, but it is also very complex, like most things in the economy today. As of this morning the EIA (US Energy Information Administration) reports that daily total oil production is 101M BPD, with consumption of 100.61M BPD. Pretty fine balance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 3/22/2022 at 11:17 PM, Irishman said:

i will talk to the minister about it LOL 😝

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, Tenerider said:

And back. For beer.

oh yeah !!!!! then you will have it free of charge, dont foger the apple cider pipe too lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, hobie_angler said:

oh yeah !!!!! then you will have it free of charge, dont foger the apple cider pipe too lol 

We could use the outgoing gas supply system to run the scrumpy to each house🤔🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dougie said:

We could use the outgoing gas supply system to run the scrumpy to each house🤔🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Sounds a good deal, what do i get in return ? more beer ?

27 minutes ago, hobie_angler said:

Sounds a good deal, what do i get in return ? more beer ?

We’ll pump you some of our rain. Got loads of it spare. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dougie said:

We’ll pump you some of our rain. Got loads of it spare. 

oh i really do miss the rain, yes please you will get extra pipe for free !!! 

I new we could sort this fuel problem out on here MPs & government are useless

Simple We pump rain & beer inc some cider to Kuwait we get cheap fuel …… kin sorted 👍

• Like 2