Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

@syntarx like how you mounted the tyre levers 👍

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Just Footerin said:

@syntarx like how you mounted the tyre levers 👍

It was a pain to get through these hardened steel bars. But its worth it. Here's another pic:

IMG_2999.jpeg.dc3bfb6074aa3f5d5790ed36f911ede9.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

New tires mounted! See here for detail pics and tread depth measurements:

The Michelins were actually still more than decent, I guess my little kid's throttle grip could get 10.000 km out of them. Yes I'm slow 🙂

But somehow I wanted new tires for my upcoming holiday trip. The Dunlops are said to have much better rain performance, and that's what I was especially after.

A first short ride (not pushing them of course) revealed a more well-mannered behaviour on tarmac in every aspect: More comfort/suppleness (running 3mm HD tubes via 4mm UHD before might be one reason), less vibrations especially at highway speeds (front and rear). Easier cornering, less force needed. Better cornering transition. Better braking performance especially in the first 0.5 seconds (the Wilds always react with a bit of delay on tarmac).

MORE rear noise - at least more noticeable, howling sound, but seems to get better with more mileage. I think the Michelins were actually louder, but the noise better blended in with engine noise.

I expect them to perform not as good as the Wilds in mud and off-camber sections, maybe on gravel, too. We'll see.

Mounting and static balancing was done by a big tire retailer here in Germany at a VERY fair price.

Mounting wasn't too easy a job even with machines. I'm not too optimistic about roadside repairs therefore. Hope I won't catch a nail, screw, big thorn, sharktooth or whatever.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 4

Replaced the OEM battery:

20240710_170325.jpg.f73389e5893197cd28bda5ea69653595.jpg

Thats 2.7 kg less weight!!!

According to @OFF THE ROAD, the smaller capacity is more than sufficient. Mine is a '21 MY, the newer ones (TFT dashboard models) have a smaller battery by default (similar to the capacity of this tiny BS LiFePO battery).

It also saves a lot of space:

20240710_170350.jpg.ab8f6dc93da2dd90d3b8be71cf31deba.jpg

Installed (had to bend the negative terminal by 90°, was a bit anxious about breaking it, but since it's rather soft brass, it went well):

20240710_190558.jpg.a11dd5ebb5a22a551bc1f07a7453696c.jpg

Note the free space next to the battery. Plenty of room for a spare tube or a small compressor.

• Like 6

Racks fitted for next weeks trip

IMG_8740.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/6/2024 at 10:18 AM, AZJW said:

It doesn't use that blasted Basecamp planning software! A big plus in my book. 

So how does one do route planing on that tablet then?  I dont use Basecamp for my Zumo but my planing is cumbersome.

On 7/6/2024 at 12:01 PM, Tenerider said:

I can use any app I want for navigation. I really like OsmAnd, and Calimoto. OsmAnd is far superior than for example a Zumo, because it allows for true offroad (and onroad) navigation. Calimoto is awesome for onroad routing. And then there's Google Maps... and I can watch Netflix or whatever when I'm in my tent or so. Planning is also improved over a dedicated navigation device, simply because it can be comfortably done on a bigger screen.

An offroad routing capable Garmin isn't much cheaper.

That sounds pretty good.  What about screen brightness?  That has been my biggest issue with my android phone, I cannot get it to go bright enough at all to be useful.

20 minutes ago, DT675 said:

That sounds pretty good.  What about screen brightness?  That has been my biggest issue with my android phone, I cannot get it to go bright enough at all to be useful.

That's exactly what this tablet is great for: It has a very high brightness AND can sustain it forever. Most phones need to dim the screen due to heat buildup after some time.  In comparison, the one I bought is said to have the best display in the sub 1000€ range. Only the Tripltek 9 is even brighter. @random1781 has this one in use.

That being said: I've yet to test it on a ride! 😅

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DT675 said:

So how does one do route planing on that tablet then?  I dont use Basecamp for my Zumo but my planing is cumbersome.

I've heard that this one works very well and it's free:

View, edit and create GPX files online: add, move and delete points, merge multiple files, reverse, add timestamps, edit waypoints and more!

But for plain onroad routing I use calimoto. Can be done on the phone, tablet or on a big PC/Mac/whatever runs a browser. You need a subscription for this one.

Of course you could just use Google Maps on the tablet as well for quick routing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT675 said:

Basecamp what a ball ache - 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DT675 said:

I think I posted this on another thread but it's worth reposting. Here's the Tripltek 9 VS the DMD 865...

PXL_20240308_173226556.jpg.2566256d8db59d3ba6c29a815f688540.jpg

It's all really relative though. Most phones are pretty dim, but most of these rugged tablets are bright enough for 95% of conditions, and some of them have sunshades, which help immensely. I was spending a lot of time in the desert and got fed up with stopping to shield the screen.

I paid $950 for the Tripltek though, and I built my own mount because theirs is laughably expensive. I have schematics if anyone is interested. I think it would work for other devices as well.

I did have a Samsung Active 2 I think. It was awful. They called it a rugged tablet, but it's not, and it's incredibly dim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

advgoats.com

6 hours ago, random1781 said:

I think I posted this on another thread but it's worth reposting. Here's the Tripltek 9 VS the DMD 865...

PXL_20240308_173226556.jpg.2566256d8db59d3ba6c29a815f688540.jpg

It's all really relative though. Most phones are pretty dim, but most of these rugged tablets are bright enough for 95% of conditions, and some of them have sunshades, which help immensely. I was spending a lot of time in the desert and got fed up with stopping to shield the screen.

I paid $950 for the Tripltek though, and I built my own mount because theirs is laughably expensive. I have schematics if anyone is interested. I think it would work for other devices as well.

I did have a Samsung Active 2 I think. It was awful. They called it a rugged tablet, but it's not, and it's incredibly dim.

At $950, the Tripltek would probably have been my choice. But it's 1500€ over here.

On 7/10/2024 at 8:05 PM, Tenerider said:

Replaced the OEM battery:

20240710_170325.jpg.f73389e5893197cd28bda5ea69653595.jpg

Thats 2.7 kg less weight!!!

According to @OFF THE ROAD, the smaller capacity is more than sufficient. Mine is a '21 MY, the newer ones (TFT dashboard models) have a smaller battery by default (similar to the capacity of this tiny BS LiFePO battery).

It also saves a lot of space:

20240710_170350.jpg.ab8f6dc93da2dd90d3b8be71cf31deba.jpg

Installed (had to bend the negative terminal by 90°, was a bit anxious about breaking it, but since it's rather soft brass, it went well):

20240710_190558.jpg.a11dd5ebb5a22a551bc1f07a7453696c.jpg

Note the free space next to the battery. Plenty of room for a spare tube or a small compressor.

That is amazing. First time I've been genuinely tempted to get a lithium battery.

Which one is it buddy?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sunndog said:

That is amazing. First time I've been genuinely tempted to get a lithium battery.

Which one is it buddy?

It's a BS Batteries BSLi-01:

Ready to use Lighter weight – up to 70% than lead acid batteries Multi-positioning mounting – up to 180° Extensive cycle life – over...

Got it here:

Ultra lightweight LiFePO4 Lithium Ion battery for sport and rally use.   New and innovative Lithium-ion battery, designed for the most…

The tiny size also convinced me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Ready to use Lighter weight – up to 70% than lead acid batteries Multi-positioning mounting – up to 180° Extensive cycle life – over...

Got it here:

Ultra lightweight LiFePO4 Lithium Ion battery for sport and rally use.   New and innovative Lithium-ion battery, designed for the most…

Cheers buddy, I didn't realise "BS" was a brand tbh or I'd have googled 

Only 2ah though. Anyone been running similar for a while?

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 1

I replaced the stock fairing with the Camel ADV set.  I decided I needed a new side emblem as well so I 3d printed this.

HB.jpg

• Like 2

Bags packed ready for tomorrow’s trip around N Wales

IMG_8762.jpeg

• Like 1

Oil & filter change! I'm doing it every 5000 km - the old stuff was dark brown, but it has been since the dealer put it in for the 10000 km /6000 mi service. I'm quite sure they didn't change the filter back then, nor did they heat up the engine properly.

On 7/12/2024 at 6:20 AM, Tenerider said:

Got it here:

Wow, so tempting.

Do Li batteries give an indication they are on the way out?

My Milwaukee tool batteries just stop.

AGM get a bit sluggish so you know it is time for a new one.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

On 7/12/2024 at 1:05 AM, Tenerider said:

I've heard that this one works very well and it's free:

View, edit and create GPX files online: add, move and delete points, merge multiple files, reverse, add timestamps, edit waypoints and more!

But for plain onroad routing I use calimoto. Can be done on the phone, tablet or on a big PC/Mac/whatever runs a browser. You need a subscription for this one.

Of course you could just use Google Maps on the tablet as well for quick routing.

I just gave the gpx link a quick try and it works well. It auto routes even on fire trails.

I will bookmark and compare to Basecamp.

I have OzTopo loaded to Basecamp but sometimes Basecamp gets a bit lost.

Maybe we need a dedicated thread for gps, gpx etc

Edited by Rider 101
fat fingers
  • Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

6 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Maybe we need a dedicated threat for gps, gpx etc

Agree!

6 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

I don't think so. Many of them have some LED bar to give you a rough estimate of charge once you press a button. And they are said to degrade less than Pb based batteries.

10 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

I got the EBL lithium and torture tested it. You can see the battery level on the top of the battery or use an app like SIZZAPP that shows you the battery level at all times- along with the location of your bike. IMG_0213.jpeg.9887f7b955a6c05652f672b015268e12.jpeg

• Like 2

For those of you switching to lithium batteries, please get one with a battery management system (BMS)! There is a real and significant risk of fire without a BMS.  Lithium batteries without a BMS are OK for track use, but not on anything else. 

• Like 1