Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

Looks like something you would see in the Soviet Union, not New York State!

It is truly an interesting and unique place to ride.   It doesn't seem like anyone gives riders grief there, we ran into about half a dozen atv'ers while roaming the area.

I grew up around the area, and remember hearing radio ads for this resort constantly when I was a kid.   It was apparently a pretty booming place in the 80's, and when it closed in the 2000's everyone just sort of.. left.   I'm quite surprised the buildings are still there.

Edited by headwinded
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

Just posted a blog about the works this weekend including lots of pictures.

2 additional pictures just for here, this is how i ran my hose for the Osco oiler to the front sprocket.
IMG_20220702_123226.jpg.51f91df60ec4912cd3ab6febe180ab09.jpg

IMG_20220702_181115.jpg.84d29eb913718fa2aaed5cf4bf5491c3.jpg

Anyone have a copy of Ray's blog post on his Osco Oiler?  Would love to have this live on, and I personally want to set one up and Ray had things right! 

5 hours ago, roygilbo said:

Anyone have a copy of Ray's blog post on his Osco Oiler?  Would love to have this live on, and I personally want to set one up and Ray had things right! 

Let me check tomorrow, but most likely you should find it here:

It was Ray's last will to have his site put down - which is really sad imho.

• Sad 1

Installed rear brake reservoir protector and chain guide/protector.

Lowered the bike .7" with the Alt Rider links.  Also recently installed Alpina tubeless rims.

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

2 hours ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Installed rear brake reservoir protector and chain guide/protector.

Lowered the bike .7" with the Alt Rider links.  Also recently installed Alpina tubeless rims.

Pictures?

• Supporting Vendor

The swap wasn't today but I just finished the video so I think it still qualifies as "What have you done for your T7 today."

• Like 7

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

The swap wasn't today but I just finished the video so I think it still qualifies as "What have you done for your T7 today."

I've got to take my clutch cover off to soak the plates at some point.

Did you use gasket goo simply because you didn't have a paper gasket?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Fully qualifies for "What have you done for your T7 today." / this year. Luck with bashed engine cases seem super low, super good skills though 🙂.

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, sunndog said:

I've got to take my clutch cover off to soak the plates at some point.

Did you use gasket goo simply because you didn't have a paper gasket?

Yeah, I thought I had a paper one on hand but apparently not. I like to keep items like common gaskets, filters etc on the shelf so they are there when you need them.

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
4 hours ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

Fully qualifies for "What have you done for your T7 today." / this year. Luck with bashed engine cases seem super low, super good skills though 🙂.

I cleaned all the paint off the area with the hole and degreased it before using JB Weld. I've had good luck with epoxies on broken engine covers, but it's weeping oil this time. It's in an annoying spot to TIG, so I will try to re-JB it first.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Yeah, I thought I had a paper one on hand but apparently not. I like to keep items like common gaskets, filters etc on the shelf so they are there when you need them.

Cheers buddy 👍 

On 7/22/2022 at 8:28 PM, Stevoh said:

Steer clear of the Tractionator Adventure front, it's rubbish, rear Tractionator Adventure is awesome, I'm on my second.

oK, I've all but worn out the factory tires now and am ready to transition.  I'll go with the Adventure rear but what do you suggest as a front?  Michelin Anakee Wild?  Stick with the scorpion front? 

I don't do a lot of dirt riding, 20% or less, and I like it to handle well on the tar but I'm happy to sacrifice some of that to be surefooted in the gravel.  I don't want a hell of a lot of road noise on the tar though.

Anakee_wild_front_large.webp.589b219e29f54627d4cc1472d015e981.webp

Edited by winddown

1 hour ago, winddown said:

oK, I've all but worn out the factory tires now and am ready to transition.  I'll go with the Adventure rear but what do you suggest as a front?  Michelin Anakee Wild?  Stick with the scorpion front? 

I don't do a lot of dirt riding, 20% or less, and I like it to handle well on the tar but I'm happy to sacrifice some of that to be surefooted in the gravel.  I don't want a hell of a lot of road noise on the tar though.

I'd not combine different brands, especially not on tarmac.

I like my Anakee Wilds, not noisier to me, but not as well planted as the STRs especially on ridges parallel to the road. Quite capable in the twisties! Worlds better in any offroad situation, especially on loose gravel, mud, grass (also wet grass). Less braking power on tarmac!

I have the Motoz Dual Venture front and am happy with it so far.  I have about 750 miles on them so far with tread depth down to 10mm from 12mm.  There is no noticeable cupping yet even though I brake aggressively on the street. I did have significant cupping on the STRs in less than 2,500 miles.  I plan to reverse then as soon as I notice any cupping. 

They have been fine at passing speeds on the highway, in the twisties, and also in loose gravel and dirt.  I haven't had them in deep mud yet but do not anticipate any issue there. 

So far, they are living up to my expectations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winddown said:

Anakee wilds will be a good choice. 

@winddown Personally I wouldn't stick with the Scorpion front.  I swapped that for a Motoz GPS, have put over 4K miles on it and it barely shows signs of wear.  It's quiet on the tarmac too.  It's more sure footed than the Scorpions but won't be as sure footed as the Michelin Anakee Wild.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I'd not combine different brands

I never have before either.   Perhaps I should go wilds front and back?  I just thought the Moto had a better block separation, would give me more traction on the dirt roads.  But what do I know...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevoh said:

Anakee wilds will be a good choice. 

Front and rear then.  As is obvious I'm no expert so it probably makes little difference to me as long as both are more offroad capable.  On the street there is always lots of extra grip beyond what an average rider assumes, a lot more room for error cornering.  I don't believe this is the case cornering in the dirt, coming up out of rutts in the dirt.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, winddown said:

As you say you do very little < 20% dirt riding (and I suspect that any dirt riding be dry dirt) I'd stick with the stock Pirelli STR's.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, winddown said:

Front and rear then.  As is obvious I'm no expert so it probably makes little difference to me as long as both are more offroad capable.  On the street there is always lots of extra grip beyond what an average rider assumes, a lot more room for error cornering.  I don't believe this is the case cornering in the dirt, coming up out of rutts in the dirt.

Now we talking rutts, ok go wild Anakee Wild 🙂 

9 minutes ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

Now we talking rutts, ok go wild Anakee Wild 🙂 

Yeah lol, not often, and I don't go looking for them, but I live in very hilly country and after the rains it takes the council forever to grade all the roads.  I haven't dropped the bike yet but the time I almost did it was coming up out a series of rutts right in the middle of a tight uphill corner.  I chopped as much speed as I could but had nowhere to go but through them.  Unfortunately I wasn't standing up either and didn't think to.  But who can think at a time like that?  That's where instinct and practice come in I believe.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, winddown said:

Yeah lol, not often, and I don't go looking for them, but I live in very hilly country and after the rains it takes the council forever to grade all the roads.  I haven't dropped the bike yet but the time I almost did it was coming up out a series of rutts right in the middle of a tight uphill corner.  I chopped as much speed as I could but had nowhere to go but through them.  Unfortunately I wasn't standing up either and didn't think to.  But who can think at a time like that?  That's where instinct and practice come in I believe.

Seriously, Anakee Wilds will give you A LOT more confidence in such sketchy situations.

But Motoz will do so as well.

• Like 2

By the way: Just rotated my bars back to the OEM position. I found my back aching too quickly when sitting when the bars were rotated forward into a dirt-oriented position (which is much better for standing).

I've marked the "dirt" position with a sharpie, so I can now quickly rotate them forward again and only have to adjust my mirrors. Brake/clutch levers just will rotate forward as well this way and be more suited for standing and an aggressive "elbows out" sitting position as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, winddown said:

Look at Heidenau k60 scout as a 30percent dirt 70 percent street. You will get a lot of miles out of them. There are several YouTube reviews up - they work, they last, they are not noisy, they are reasonably priced and in stock 

• Like 1