Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

While many people are saying to wire a Garmin to a switched port, I prefer it wired direct to the battery for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I often use it with the engine off and don't like having to put the key in the on position to do so. Secondly, I like keeping the Garmin fully charged to avoid putting its battery through numerous small charging cycles if the bike is not ridden for a few days. 

My bike has been configured this way for over a year and the battery has never gone flat on me between rides. I keep the Zumo XT in its cradle all the time. I also charge my phone and InReach at night from the bike's battery on trips and none of this has ever been a problem. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

New meat on the rear. Rabaconda ADV changer allows me to change out tires when I want to and not when a stealer has time.  This is the 2nd RallZ I've gotten 6,500 miles wear out of, great tire and speaking from experience,  it's capable of being ridden flat for a few miles at least.

20230806_110857.jpg.9b3c918a3c671f018a56546f1c3b6776.jpg20230806_102750.jpg.519d143fbb29fa55e9105aae18401219.jpg

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

10 minutes ago, AZJW said:

New meat on the rear. Rabaconda ADV changer allows me to change out tires when I want to and not when a stealer has time.  This is the 2nd RallZ I've gotten 6,500 miles wear out of, great tire and speaking from experience,  it's capable of being ridden flat for a few miles at least.

20230806_110857.jpg.9b3c918a3c671f018a56546f1c3b6776.jpg20230806_102750.jpg.519d143fbb29fa55e9105aae18401219.jpg

I love my Rabaconda too. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:04 AM, Hollybrook said:

While many people are saying to wire a Garmin to a switched port, I prefer it wired direct to the battery for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I often use it with the engine off and don't like having to put the key in the on position to do so. Secondly, I like keeping the Garmin fully charged to avoid putting its battery through numerous small charging cycles if the bike is not ridden for a few days. 

My bike has been configured this way for over a year and the battery has never gone flat on me between rides. I keep the Zumo XT in its cradle all the time. I also charge my phone and InReach at night from the bike's battery on trips and none of this has ever been a problem. 

would you mind giving a little more detail about charging phone and Inreach at night,  thanks.

2 hours ago, AZJW said:

i LIKE 6500 miles!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thepointchris said:

would you mind giving a little more detail about charging phone and Inreach at night,  thanks.

If I am on a multi-day ride, I use the USB port in my tank bag to charge my phone and InReach (actually a Garmin Messenger) in the evening before going to bed. Having the port wired directly to the battery makes this possible without having the bike's ignition turned on. 

The USB port that I have can be switched off and also has a voltmeter display. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

Think I bought the wrong type of USB port here..? My other ones have been the two prong style. I was mistakenly thinking this would plug into the cigarette lighter socket 

Can anyone confirm?

20230806_193206.jpg

Edited by vagrant318

39 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

If I am on a multi-day ride, I use the USB port in my tank bag to charge my phone and InReach (actually a Garmin Messenger) in the evening before going to bed. Having the port wired directly to the battery makes this possible without having the bike's ignition turned on. 

How do you like your messenger?  I’ve had an open window with one of those for awhile now thinking of a purchase. I’m under the impression you can use your phone with a dedicated app via Bluetooth and minimally text through it?  With a monthly fee of course. And then you still have the sos button too?

Looks. Like a din hella connection quite often come on BMW’s

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lewie said:

So incorrect for our application obviously. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Lewie said:

Spot on. One of the DIN sockets on my R1200RT:

20230807_061843.jpg.1f591e8f7d61cb2a497e5310a20763b7.jpg20230807_061900.jpg.0d604e9c8ba31a9c50de405f36cfc8a5.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

thanks for the feedback hollybrook!

First ride on my newly installed, 2nd hand bought, high rally seat.

What a difference! The bike feels a lot more nimble, sportier - and - more like my 1988 Ténéré: I feel like sitting on the bike, not in it, thus having more control. 

Others had already stated likewise, but I wouldn't have believed the difference to be that obvious. 

Had I only pulled the trigger 20000kms earlier 😉

20230807_212230.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, qInvention said:

First ride on my newly installed, 2nd hand bought, high rally seat.

What a difference! The bike feels a lot more nimble, sportier - and - more like my 1988 Ténéré: I feel like sitting on the bike, not in it, thus having more control. 

Others had already stated likewise, but I wouldn't have believed the difference to be that obvious. 

Had I only pulled the trigger 20000kms earlier 😉

20230807_212230.jpg

How tall are you?

22 hours ago, AZJW said:

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on one of those. Never heard of anyone that had one have any complaints about them. Looks like it makes it so easy to change tires. I've been doing them the old school way for far too long haha. It would definitely be nice considering I have entirely too many bikes and seems like I'm always changing a tire on one of them anymore. I also have an addiction to trying out different tires far before the old ones are worn out lol

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, JhrTenere65 said:

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on one of those. Never heard of anyone that had one have any complaints about them. Looks like it makes it so easy to change tires. I've been doing them the old school way for far too long haha. It would definitely be nice considering I have entirely too many bikes and seems like I'm always changing a tire on one of them anymore. I also have an addiction to trying out different tires far before the old ones are worn out lol

46 minutes ago, JhrTenere65 said:

I have gotten good at it. I mounted my tubeless Heidenau K60 scout rear tire in a TIMED 3 minutes! It probably has the hardest sidewall of any 18" rear tire.

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 2

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, JhrTenere65 said:

I'm happy with my ADV model Rabaconda vs the street version for tubed dirt bike tires.  I had gotten the street version on recommendations,  but had a bunch of grief with tubes, partly to user error and partly to not being the right tool for the job. For tubeless,  the street version is the hot setup, but for tubes,  I'm having much better luck with the ADV version.  Ymmv.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

5 minutes ago, AZJW said:

I'm happy with my ADV model Rabaconda vs the street version for tubed dirt bike tires.  I had gotten the street version on recommendations,  but had a bunch of grief with tubes, partly to user error and partly to not being the right tool for the job. For tubeless,  the street version is the hot setup, but for tubes,  I'm having much better luck with the ADV version.  Ymmv.

I'm thinking the adv model is probably the one I'll go with. The only bike that I have that's tubeless is my 86 Honda shadow. The tenere is going to stay tubed, also have an xr400r, crf230f, and a Cr125 that it would be used on. I'm sure once I get one I'll be doing plenty for my riding buddies too 😁. Thanks for you guys' input!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JhrTenere65 said:

I'm thinking the adv model is probably the one I'll go with. The only bike that I have that's tubeless is my 86 Honda shadow. The tenere is going to stay tubed, also have an xr400r, crf230f, and a Cr125 that it would be used on. I'm sure once I get one I'll be doing plenty for my riding buddies too 😁. Thanks for you guys' input!

You will need to get a balancer. I got the Harbor Freight unit. works for my purposes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeilW said:

You will need to get a balancer. I got the Harbor Freight unit. works for my purposes. 

A buddy of mine right down the street has one that works pretty well for him. I'm sure he'll take a tire mounting in trade for a balance job lol. 

• Moderators

Couldn't seem to stop the tire changing process and swapped out the Dunlop Trailmax front while I had all my tools out. Initial road test on my AX-41 shows much better on gravel and rocks, even gravel on pavement handling is better. Braking on gravel is more confidence inspiring and coupled with the 150 RallZ rear it'll be a great off road combo.  Pavement handling is decent taking a bit more effort for turn in vs the TMM that falls easily into turns. The AX-41 will follow grooved pavement more than the TMM, but not near as badly as the RallZ front that was outright sketchy. 

20230807_100756.jpg.d9ea638af988b6be492b214fb91b4e56.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AZJW said:

That's what I wanted to know forever, but was afraid to ask 😅

I couldn't really tell from their website which one I need, it's a bit confusing imho. So this is the one, right?

3-Minute_Tire_Changer_-_1_large.jpg?v=16

<p>#1 TIRE CHANGER IN THE WORLD!</p> <p>Are bloody knuckles, stress, and back and knee pain supposed to be part of the tire changing experience...

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

That's what I wanted to know forever, but was afraid to ask 😅

I couldn't really tell from their website which one I need, it's a bit confusing imho. So this is the one, right?

3-Minute_Tire_Changer_-_1_large.jpg?v=16

<p>#1 TIRE CHANGER IN THE WORLD!</p> <p>Are bloody knuckles, stress, and back and knee pain supposed to be part of the tire changing experience...

Just sharing that I had no problem with tubes on my street bike unit changing front and rears on my Tenere 700. I did tubeless conversion after 2 fronts and two rears with tubes. Not sure what I am do differently with the street unit but it works for me on tube tires. Just sharing my personal experience. 

• Like 1