Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Aftermarket Exhaust and Spark Arrestors

Goldentaco

Added Akropovic response.

J

Edited by Goldentaco

• Supporting Vendor

Arrow does not have a SA.

There is another US company that is working on an exhaust, and it will have a SA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Idarex said:

SC Project?

I’ll check with them. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can appreciate your efforts in trying to decipher the US Forest Service laws for an SA. The truth is, your catalytic converter qualifies since it meets their requirements as a screen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motodude said:

I can appreciate your efforts in trying to decipher the US Forest Service laws for an SA. The truth is, your catalytic converter qualifies since it meets their requirements as a screen.

If stopped by a Forest Ranger would he buy that explanation?

If  the Cat meets the requirements why do US bikes also have spark arrestors in the muffler?

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / TDR 250 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

The issue is absolutely confusing...most of the time.  Seems to be interpreted by LEOs a number of ways.  

Taken from Hollister OHV area in California:

http://www.4x4trailmaps.com/Files/Maps/hollisterhillsmap_lowerranch.pdf

SPARK ARRESTERS: All vehicles operating off-highway must be equipped with either a street legal muffler or a spark arrester maintained in effective working order.

J

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

A lot of guys are using eBay/AliExpress mufflers, none of these have spark arrestors, I take my bike off road a fair bit so the chances are I'm going bend or damage my muffler at some stage so paying around $1000 dollars (Australia for an aftermarket muffler doesn't really make sense to me, I can live with not being as popular and cool as those with Akrosomthingorother mufflers, so it's a chinese jobby for me , under $100 (actually sound way better) 

It's quite easy to make a spark arrestor to suit, and as has been said with the catalytic converter already in place I'm pretty sure sparks are arrested.

I've included some pics on "how to"

For this spark arrestor I've gone all out and purchased a stainless mesh frying pan cover for $5 from the $2 Dollar shop ( yeah I know)

I may take some flak for this post, I don't mind 😬

IMG_20201024_181341296.jpg

IMG_20201024_180818113.jpg

Again it's all in how the LEO interprets it in the field.  The mesh even has a spec (0.023") you can check that with 0.023 MIG wire or similar.  Another specification easier for them to fall back on is every USFS approved arrestor has a model designation that's published in their field guide.  If it's not there...no good.  

That said, I've never been questioned on my GS which may or may not have a full Remus system on it currently...or on any other ADV bike/Dual sport.  This has only been in OHV parks though.  In the forest that may be a different story.

J

• Like 1

I’ve been riding offroad for 58 years now, my father started me when i was 4. In all that time i have only been checked for a spark arrestor at a race or an enduro and they checked by sticking a wire into the exhaust.

• Like 4

On 11/22/2020 at 7:46 AM, NvNick said:

I’ve been riding offroad for 58 years now, my father started me when i was 4. In all that time i have only been checked for a spark arrestor at a race or an enduro and they checked by sticking a wire into the exhaust.

I've been riding almost 20 years and I've never even been stopped by a LEO.

• 1 month later...

I've been running around with this for a while now and it's been working well.

I ordered the Fisch Moto 40mm Spark arrestor to install in my Huzar pipe.  The Huzar outlet is 47.6mm and I originally tried to fit the arrestor with no spacer.  It needed longer set screws so I ordered M4 0.7 in 20mm.  While this "fit" it didn't seem too secure so I set out to make a spacer.

The OD of the spark arrestor is right around 39.6mm.  I needed a spacer roughly 39mm x 47mm x 20mm.  It was quite difficult to find off the shelf spacers to fit and ultimately I ordered a Brass bearing sleeve that was 39mm x 50mm x 30mm.  I planned to shave it down to the dimensions I needed.

I don't have a lathe or access to one so I found this from Harbor Freight which fit my hand drill:

image_16751.jpg

It has a tapered shaft so it's a little difficult to get perfectly centered in the drill but it worked well enough to shave the spacer down to dimensions I needed.  I can't remember where I ordered it from as I placed about 5 orders from different vendors all overseas.  The process to get the spacer took roughly two months in itself.  The one that actuall worked out was from Zoro.

Z_rIswmcpEx_.JPG

Order Bunting Bearings Sleeve Bearing, I.D. 40, L 40, CBM040050040 at Zoro.com. Great prices & free shipping on orders over $50 when you sign in or sign up for an account.

Once properly sized, the stock setscrews of the arrestor fit fine. I wanted to secure the whole thing like Huzar's db killer but I decided to drill and tap threads into the Fisch Moto arrestor body.  I drilled a corresponding hole in the spacer for the bolt to pass through.

All done up the whole thing is secure and USFS approved.  installation and removal takes less than a minute.

4FF2827C-4BF6-4849-B8B4-62A00F463BFA.jpeg.3060c527b9eb990af58b4ac86709a77a.jpeg

F34CA1F5-9FBD-4BF1-A82E-28D8DDEA8087.jpeg.5b29429c0cdf57eb47f23f26372a83c4.jpeg7577FF1B-4105-40EA-B8DE-EAFAFF9C240B.jpeg.2385660984f50c7fcf517dfffc77d450.jpeg61EAA2B2-4B89-460F-BB8D-8632BD782FDD.jpeg.5b465388c5bd413322ec90240a159b82.jpeg

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 4

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you remember which kit you used when ordering this spark arrestor?  
they offer a wide variety.  I could go try to measure but if you already did the install it would save the worry of ordering the wrong one. Here are the options they list

We offer the following sizes:
    •    Kit 19 (19.0mm-20.0mm / 0.748”- 0.800”)
    •    Kit 20 (20.0mm-25.4mm / 0.800”-1.000”)
    •    Kit 25 (25.5mm-29.4mm / 1.004”-1.157”)
    •    Kit 30 (29.5mm-35.4mm / 1.161”-1.394”)
    •    Kit 35 (35.5mm-40.4mm / 1.398”-1.591”)
    •    Kit 40 (40.5mm-45.7mm / 1.596”-1.800”)

Edited by Pops

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone sell Black Widow exhausts in the US?  $65 USD for shipping is rough.

29 minutes ago, kainic said:

Does anyone sell Black Widow exhausts in the US?  $65 USD for shipping is rough.

For the price of the whole exhaust, you’re still way ahead money wise vs local exhausts. I just installed one yesterday. Sounds good and saved over 4lbs over stock. 

• Like 1

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

Yup. Just dropped the coin for the exhaust. Now off to order the Camel high exhaust kit. 

Wow, ordered on Sunday and the exhaust shows up today. Damn quick!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I have a Huzar exhaust. Did you ever determine if there’s a good off the shelf fit for this muffler? I purchased a Fisch Moto Kit 40. It’s not an easy match/fit.

Thank you.

DG

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, Pops said:

Do you remember which kit you used when ordering this spark arrestor?  
they offer a wide variety.  I could go try to measure but if you already did the install it would save the worry of ordering the wrong one. Here are the options they list

We offer the following sizes:
    •    Kit 19 (19.0mm-20.0mm / 0.748”- 0.800”)
    •    Kit 20 (20.0mm-25.4mm / 0.800”-1.000”)
    •    Kit 25 (25.5mm-29.4mm / 1.004”-1.157”)
    •    Kit 30 (29.5mm-35.4mm / 1.161”-1.394”)
    •    Kit 35 (35.5mm-40.4mm / 1.398”-1.591”)
    •    Kit 40 (40.5mm-45.7mm / 1.596”-1.800”)

@Pops where you able to figure out which one it was? I just ordered a corse hp exhaust and I'll need to get a spark arrestor too.